“They moved a whole historic village!”
Review of Beamish Museum

Beamish Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Beamish
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience amazing sights, sounds, smells and delicious tastes as the past comes to life. Beamish is unique - our objects aren't locked away in glass cases, this is hands-on history! Step into the past and explore our 350 acre site, as Beamish tells the story of the people of North East England in the 1820s, 1900s and 1940s. Taste traditional food from a coal-fired range, hop on board a tram or steam train, play schoolyard games together and pop into the Co-op shops. Come back time and time again with your Beamish Unlimited Pass, which allows 12 months free entry to the museum from your visit - including all day time special events!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a completely moved and reconstructed village from England's past. Employees are dressed in period attire and very knowledgeable as to what tasks they would have performed during this era. They farm, cook, and have shops as they were in an earlier time of history. It is an outdoor museum of sorts where you may walk to or take an old trolley to different points of interest. Kids of all ages delight in how it-used-to-be. The main disappointment here was the very greasy and very over priced fish and chips. Also, places to grab a bite close earlier than you would expect. But, there are many nice little reasonable pubs to/from this attraction, and I'd suggest you eat at those.

2  Thank sleepy2l
Write a ReviewReviews (5,996)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Bought a yearly ticket for a family, great value,you can visit as many times as you want in a year. I have bought them in previous years and find every time I go back there is something new to see. The town is lovely and as I am in my sixties I can relate to the life portrayed and explained it all to my grandson ,who was fascinated by it all . It is very realistic and really interesting with people dressed in the old fashioned way. A really great day out and if you buy a yearly ticket you don't have to do it all in one day, which can be very trashing!

1  Thank Margaret R
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

What a fab way to spend a winters day. Santa in town with his 3 wise men on camels !! Everywhere we went it was Christmassy , but our favourite was the Town Houses decorated in there finery. A few stalls selling Christmas gifts , they could have easily housed more though and the traders should display prices on the food items . Nice bite to eat at the co op . We went up to Santa's grotto which was lovely , charming young lady serving hot chocolate, the Que. for Santa was really long though. The pit village had a small ice rink and the school had the kids making paper chains and lanterns . Sadly again the fish shop had huge que's so I still haven't sampled the fish and chips may be next year ? All in all well worth a winters visit , wrap up warm though ! Merry Christmas everyone

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had looked at the Beamish website and had planned to visit on the day that Santa arrived in the town. We expected it to be busy, but when we got there at 11:15 the queues were still growing outside of the ticket hall. We had pre-booked tickets online, but there were no signs directing visitors to a specific queue. We probably "jumped the queue" by going up to one of the staff and asking where we queued for pre-booked tickets, she just advised us to go to the next available ticket desk, which we did. It would have been a simple thing to make entry to the attraction a better organised affair. Signs placed outside directing people to a specific queue for pre-booked tickets, and for those with annual tickets. To their credit, the staff were processing ticket purchases very quickly. Strangely, at the end of the day when we were leaving the ticket hall, there was a sign advising people with pre-booked tickets to queue in a specific place, why wasn't this there when it was needed at the start of the day? Maybe it was, but it was obscured by the number of people queuing.
Other reviewers have commented on the queues at the Chippy, we weren't too bothered about seeing Santa, so we got to the chippy just after 11:30, just after they had opened and got served very quickly. The fish and chips are good value for money, in fact would recommend asking for a "dab" and chips - "dab" being a half portion of fish, as a full portion was too much!
the fish is quite greasy, presumably because it's cooked in dripping, but very tasty and worth a try.
The day was made more interesting because there was an open store exhibition - this allowed visitors to see items which are being held to be used in future buildings, etc. I had great fun identifying TV's, Radios, etc of the same model that I had once owned!!! From talking to a volunteer we learned that this was one of three stores and that Beamish was actively looking for items from the 1920's to the 1980's for further development.
Every time I go to Beamish there are new buildings / things to see, etc. This time it was the new bakery, although it was too busy to allow us to buy any produce from there.
I always enjoy going to this attraction and wish I lived nearer, as our ticket gives us unlimited access for a year.

1  Thank gizmo2brian
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Myself and my mother came here today the 19th of november 13,my mother had never been here but i had twice,the last time in the mid 90,s .in winter the entrance price is £8.75 for an adult and £6.50 for an o,a.p. which is fairly reasonable but there isnt much of Beamish open in winter,also the museum in winter is closed on mondays and fridays.be careful when you are in the first part in the main entrance building,theres a film projected onto a map of beamish on the floor,its very dark in here! My mother couldnt find her way down the steps without me helping her.when you leave here you wait for a bus or tram,the wait for a tram can be 20 minutes.in summer it must be a nightmare with all the crowds and queues.The staff atbthe museum are very friendly and happy to answer all your many questions.the tearooms in the town are a bit expensive.the most interesting building for me in the town is the masonic hall and the most amazing thing about all the buildings here in the town is they have been moved from other areas,towns,villages etc and rebuilt here brick by brick! The chap in the masonic hall told us the hall originally cost £2,000 to build but to rebuild it here at beamish cost £1.2 million! All in all we were a bit disappointed but i think its great for children and families plus its sure to be much better in summer with more open.ROGER CLARKE HARROGATE NOV 13.

1  Thank big_rog1