“Fantastic”

Beamish Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Beamish
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience amazing sights, sounds, smells and delicious tastes as the past comes to life. Beamish is unique - our objects aren't locked away in glass cases, this is hands-on history! Step into the past and explore our 350 acre site, as Beamish tells the story of the people of North East England in the 1820s, 1900s and 1940s. Taste traditional food from a coal-fired range, hop on board a tram or steam train, play schoolyard games together and pop into the Co-op shops. Come back time and time again with your Beamish Unlimited Pass, which allows 12 months free entry to the museum from your visit - including all day time special events!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 1 week ago

I first visited 43 years ago, so just had to go back, i thourghly enjoyed it, the town i think was my favorite, but then it coukd have been the pit village, all very interesting, I couldnt decide, if you are up that way its a must visit.

2  Thank mlynnf50
Write a ReviewReviews (6,833)
All reviews
in 166 reviews
"manor house"
in 74 reviews

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Visited on 02/11/18 with my partner. I have visited in previous years as a child with my family and have fond memories of the place. My partner had never visited before.

Although it’s £20 each almost to get in its well worth the money and is a full day out. The pass is then valid all year.

Very interesting place and unlike anywhere else. Lovely step back in time and plenty of walking so great exercise for the day.

Site is pretty hilly and lots of working but there is the opportunity to use the old fashioned trams, buses and trains.

Very interesting place for all ages and lots to see and do with great staff who have a lot of passion. Great take on past British life and culture!

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank beckyb517
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Visited in the run up to Christmas and at a weekend so it was very busy but we really enjoyed it. Will be using our year pass to return a few more times. Loved all the people dressed up telling you about the place, the tram ride, band playing Christmas music and the general atmosphere. Even plenty to keep my 14 month interested until he was too tired. Glad we brought snacks/ lunch for him and us though as there were lots if ques for food and drinks but probably a lot to do with the time of year too.

Date of experience: December 2018
2  Thank roisinb956
Reviewed 1 week ago

We were really impressed with Beamish, having been to St Fagans (Wales) and another open air museum in Worcestershire. The site is huge and separated into different points of interest, each of which was well worth seeing: miners' village, farmstead, high street, manor house etc. We decided to walk everywhere, having the dog, though they are allowed on the trams. The signposting was clear and the map easy to use to find your way around the extensive site.

Apart from the Sun Inn, dogs are not allowed in any of the buildings, which is a bit of a shame, as with many of the buildings, you couldn't really see what harm it would do; it did mean that, as a couple, we could only visit each sight separately, whilst the other waited outside with the dog.

The Sun Inn, as the exception, is also exceptional. We had the Beamish ale tasters (3 x 1/3rd pint) and, as it was a cold November day, we also had one of the warm pork pies, which was delicious. There was a roaring fire and live music, with a recorder player and guitarist playing/singing some really good folk type music.

1  Thank Adrian P
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There are hardly enough superlatives to describe the Beamish experience...from petting a huge retired 9 year old sow, to having a glass of wine and a really exceptional pork pie, in a really exceptional atmospheric 50’s pub. Not many pubs I’ve been in where the barmaid has a masters in museum culture....she was so knowledgeable and pleasant, and could discuss various aspects of the broad range of exhibits in this world class museum...including a brief history of the pig...all of the staff at this museum are pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable. The trams run a circular route around a huge site, and because of painful arthritis, I took full advantage. All of the buildings in the town have been moved from positions elsewhere in the uk, and they are beautifully presented, including the Masonic Hall....fascinating. I wish I’d had enough time to visit the railway station, but have found out engines run at the weekends, and my ticket is valid for a year, so I’ll return. Of particular interest was the pit village, redolent of the pit village where I was born....there was even a lady in a pit cottage making hooky mats...I’ll not explain, but that’s exactly what my Nanna used to make...the smell of coal fires brought memories flooding back....as did the beautiful soil in the cottage gardens, which of course, had one or two show leeks remaining...the chippy was doing great business even in crap weather, and I smiled when I noticed the chips were in a newspaper funnel...exactly how they were served in the chippy at Blucher, the pit village where I was born.oh...and there was this...enjoying my pie and wine in the pub, a guy came in in filthy working clothes to buy a pickled egg, and it transpires he was a chimney sweep!, all life is here. Special mention must go to the team who were preparing Puffing Billy, a replica steam engine from about 1812, and built at a cost of half a million...all 4 of the guys were made aware of my interest in this locomotive, because I’m proposing a weather vane which shows this engine to be mounted on the weather vane on a roundabout in my pit village...they invited me back to see her in steam after 1330, but feet were painful, and they told me ‘another time’...I’ll most definitely return when the station is running steam engines at a weekend.....a world class experience.

2  Thank 0043