“The best museum in the UK!!!”
Review of Beamish Museum

Beamish Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Beamish
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience amazing sights, sounds, smells and delicious tastes as the past comes to life. Beamish is unique - our objects aren't locked away in glass cases, this is hands-on history! Step into the past and explore our 350 acre site, as Beamish tells the story of the people of North East England in the 1820s, 1900s and 1940s. Taste traditional food from a coal-fired range, hop on board a tram or steam train, play schoolyard games together and pop into the Co-op shops. Come back time and time again with your Beamish Unlimited Pass, which allows 12 months free entry to the museum from your visit - including all day time special events!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 21 December 2006

Beamish Open Air museum is amazing! I first went there in Primary school and now make a yearly pilgrimage at the very least to the museum! Everytime enjoying it as much if not more than my first Beamish experience. Its educational and interesting. The staff are fab, they are very friendly and make you almost believe in your surroundings. School trips, if you are ever lucky enough or have been lucky enough to experince are the ultimate experience...you really do feel as though you have stepped back in time, but equally the family experince is enjoyable. The sweetshop is fantastic and the fun fair when it is there is always a good laugh!
If you haven't already been here you should go because I doubt very much you will be disappointed. Even for those not fond of the whole museum thing! Its for you too!
I think this museum is definitely one of my favorite all time family/ school trips, and it is perfect for anyone who takes the "I wonder what life was life?" approach to the study/interest in history1

Write a ReviewReviews (5,970)

Reviewed 21 December 2006

Absolutely love this museum! There is none better tha Beamish! First time I went I was in Primary School and I return at the very least yearly. School trips are amazing. You feel almost as though you live there! Everyone at the museum is very friendly and very believeable and the sweetshop is amazing! For anyone with an interest in the Victorian period who takes a "I wonder what life was like?" approach to their study/interest in history...theres nowhere else quite like Beamish for you!

Reviewed 6 September 2006

First of all they need to do something about the entry system. Although we only had about a 15 minute wait we heard coach drivers asking and complaining about the changes that had been made.

We too thought it was expensive for the visitor from outside the NE whereas the ticket options for locals were far better. Of all the things we saw and visited on our 2 week stay in Durham, Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland it was by far the most expensive.

Having said all this it was very interesting; we especially liked the mine and the masonic lodge. A weekend in school summer holidays is not the best time to go but nevertheless we still enjoyed it.

1  Thank WaltR
Reviewed 24 August 2006

Having recently visted the Beamish Museum in County Durham I have to say it was a fantastic day out for adults and kids alike.
There is so much to see and do and the people in victorian dress librally sprinkled around the museum and charming and informative I would certainly return for another visit .

3  Thank joe7544
Reviewed 7 August 2006

We visited here on the 5th Aug 2006.
I cannot rate it highly enough.
The prices are steep but don't be put off- £16 Adult, £10 child.
Take your walking shoes though, if you have young children it is difficult to hop on and off the tram or bus, unless the buggy is folded.
Beamish were having a Napoleonic fair and muster the day we went, it was brilliant. Fire eater, authentic muskets, uniforms, food, tents, dress, I could go on.
The steam train is great and the staff look the part.
The 1913 town, colliery, school are out of this world and information can be gained by asking the staff at any point throughout your visit.
We felt we had been transported back in time, thank god for my dishwasher, freezer, toilet!

2  Thank ANYA2001