“Best Western Beamish Hall”

Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beamish
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Best Western Beamish Hall”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Delightful olde world British country house in large grounds. Friendly staff, excellent service, clean, bright rooms. Excellent breakfast selection, good food in the restaurant in the evening. Recommended if you like characterful accommodation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle, England
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I treated my wife to a stay in this amazing hotel for her birthday. I had heard great things about the place from friends and it didn't disappoint.

The room was nice with an amazing view of the beautiful natural scenery that the front of the hotel offered. Bathroom was large with a Jacuzzi bath (surprisingly as we were made aware that this was only in premier rooms, much to our delight!) and clean flooring. Bed had a very squeaky headboard as the ornament on top was loose, so any movement in the bed made the ornament bang which was slightly loud but not a problem. TV was standard with built in Freeview, lighting in the room was good and the room had a good warmth to it despite the old looking windows and windy Sunday evening.

The service was friendly and attentive and I remember Christine from my reservation who was very friendly and helpful, she was also lovely in person and was able to describe where everything was in the building. The only concern I had was that £20 was taking off my card to hold the room in case I wanted to add anything to the room, this was not explained nor a receipt provided. When I brought this up on departure, she mentioned it will be refunded within 3 days, which wasn't a problem, just would have liked to know about the initial charge when it happened.

The Stables restaurant and bar was what made our visit. Went for a quick drink after checking in, tried a delicious home brewed ale and a cocktail for my wife, both were spot on and set the night up really well. Enquired about the menu for the evening and the gentleman who appeared to be the manager couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. He explained that the dinner that was included in our rate was EVERYTHING on the menu. He also presented a specials menu, once I saw the duck, I knew my wife was sold on it before even getting our table! So after getting ourselves ready and back to the Stables, we were lead to our table by a friendly waiter. All of the service was pleasant in the restaurant, but nothing blew us away, just went through the motions and got the job done.

The goats cheese risotto and lemon & garlic king prawn starters were amazing. The ciabatta was slightly soggy from the oil but the prawn itself and the aioli were spectacular in flavour and texture. The risotto I could have as the main it was that good, delicious spring veg in there for added texture.

The rib eye steak was cooked rare to my liking, very tender and the mushrooms that came with it were seasoned really well. The salad had a nice dressing and the chips were good but towards the end of them, were slighty burnt which gave it a bitter taste. My wife's duck dish was pink on arrival, giving it a great presentation, the fresh berries that accompanied the sauce gave a great burst of flavour to the duck. Towards the end of the duck though, it was a lot more cooked than the top of it, this may have been due to the residual heat from the sauce but it didn't put off from my wife's satisfaction.

The desserts were of a huge portion, the sticky toffee pudding had a good texture to it, although more resembling a parkin than it was a sticky toffee due to the heavy hand of spices, not a bad thing though, I do love a good parkin! The rhubarb crumble was VERY sharp, but luckily the ice cream's sweetness balanced this but the only disappointing thing about this dish is that the crumble had become soggy, with the ice cream being presented on top of the ramekin. The berry coulis with this dish was heavenly, could have drunk that with a straw if the chef allowed me to!

Drinks in the bar were nice after, ales had plenty of flavour and you could feel the place oozing with pride over the fact that they brew it themselves and rightly so. The value was out of this world, my wife and I had spent £11 on one round in Newcastle city centre on Saturday. Only to have 10 drinks in total on Sunday between the two of us and spent £30! Unbelievable!

Breakfast was in the Eden Room. Service, again, was polite and friendly but nothing wow. Continental breakfast had good selection and the muffins were still warm which I thought was delicious. The granola with berry compote was good too, adding my own yoghurt to it gave a delicious texture. The full English had good flavour although on the smaller side portions wise, cant grumble though as we didn't eat again that day we were so full from the night before and then the breakfast too.

Will definitely return and my wife was made up for her birthday treat, I've set the bar high now, her expectations will be higher, not sure if that's a good thing or not! Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: The deluxe we got had a Jacuzzi bath, on the website it said only premiers come with this type of ba...
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel is lovely - very well presented with very efficient and friendly staff. Our room was a bit on the small side but adequate with really lovely old furniture which was so in keeping. We toured the micro brewery and the young man who gave the talk was very knowledgable. The beer tasting was interesting and all the staff in the Stables bar were friendly. We had dinner in the stables restaurant and it was very good ! Very impressed and would certainly return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stanley, Co. Durham
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We attended a family celebration for a 60th wedding anniversary recently with a room booked for over 20 for a 3 course meal.
The service was excellent with all courses being put down to people as close to each other as possible.
The started was good with a selection of 3 items well presented and individually baked loaves each. Everyone who had the broth really liked it. I had melon which was good.
The main course arrived and this is where the disappointment set in. The beef looked overcooked and was really difficult to cut with the knife. It was chewable. The vegetables were "al dente". the Yorkshire pudding was dry.
The vegetarian cannelloni that my wife had was completely the opposite as it looked appetising and she really enjoyed it.
The desserts arrived and I had chosen Fudge cake. Not what I expected. It was a large square of chocolate cake with fudge icing and a small squirt of cream. And it was cold so was very dry to eat. Fudge cake is normally warm so the fudge icing is melted.
Finally was teas & coffees with chocolate mints. Not a lot you can do wrong with that although it would have been good if refills were offered.

All in all the setting is gorgeous. The room we had the meal in was beautiful (The Common Room). The service was excellent. The disappointment was the meal which overall left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeff P
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We only stayed one night but have book again for August, this time staying 3 night in one of the hotels superior room. The room was very large, with a four poster bed, three seated couch, plus other items of furniture. The bathroom was something else, very large, walk through shower, double Jacuzzi bath, two sinks, etc. Bathrobes were provided.
We had an evening meal in the Stables, which was out of this world. Breakfast, was a full English, but a bit on the small side for my liking but very tasty.
We enjoyed the visit so much we are going back in the summer to explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Citysun
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

It might have been foggy and chill but this hotel is luxury for a reasonable price. The Stable restaurant and microbrewery was great but we wished there was a covered walkway from the hotel. Wouldn't want to brave a snowstorm to get some thing to eat. Great beers!

Room Tip: An upgrade might give more room and a chest of drawers
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed one night BB&ED. The old building is really lovely, the decor and furnishings are top class. Unfortuntately we were given Room 107 which was tiny and in fairness is a single room with a double bed. The ensuite was very nice. We advised Reception that we are Best Western members but that didn`t work. During the night we did feel uncomfortably hemmed in. However all of the staff were extremely attentive and friendly. The micro brewery tour was interesting and informative. Dinner in the external Stables bar/restaurant was fine but noisy as a large group of ten drinkers were right beside us. It is more pub fare than 4 star dining. Breakfast in the eden Room was excellent. This room is in the older part of the Hall and is beautiful. Its a pity dinner isn`t served there.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 107 as its rather small.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beamish
Beamish Park Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#2 of 20 in Gateshead
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Best Western Whitworth Hall Hotel

Been to Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!