“5 Star Owners - Enrique & Nancy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bahia Solano
Rocas de Cabo Marzo
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bahia Solano
Alberta, Canada
“5 Star Owners - Enrique & Nancy”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Cabo Marzo is a small B&B style hotel in the town of Bahia Solano. There are 4 rooms (Enrique is adding more), each with its own private bathroom (no hot water though). Your stay includes 3 meals each day, all prepared by Nancy - she is a wonderful cook and the food is delicious. She and Enrique were up early in the morning when we went fishing - and provided breakfast and then a packed lunch for the boat.

Bahia Solano is a small town with most places within easy walking distance, although there are many 3 wheel taxis available if you want. There is a bank/ATM, but service was not always available (keep that in mind if you want to get cash). Enrique has a credit card machine, too. There are many little places to eat in Bahia Solano, but since our meals were included, we only 'ate out' once for lunch. When we were there, it was the town's week long festival, which was quite the party!

We fished 3 days...and the fishing was very good. We caught many sailfish and huge dorado; we never landed a marlin but had a big black hooked up for some time before it came off. There is a lot of life in the ocean there; we fished several trash lines teeming with life and bait. At one point, a whale shark came up to our boat! It was curious and stayed around for awhile. In addition, it was the humpback whale migration so whales were a common sight.

Most importantly (and what makes Cabo Marzo), are Enrique and Nancy themselves. They are wonderful hosts and have created a great atmosphere in their place. It is clear they love their town and their home, and pass that on to their guests. Anything you need, they can provide - whether it be practical information, arranging excursions, or suggesting things to do. Nancy took us to the airport waterfall - I would suggest doing that during your stay. Enrique speaks fluent English, too.

Bahia Solano and Cabo Marzo are the kinds of places that grow on a person - we are already thinking of returning.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back have more privacy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorthernAlberta2

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Rankin Inlet, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I just returned from a 20 day stay at Cabo Marzo in Bahia Solano. I have stayed here 3 times now. It is an excellent location for fly fishing both inshore and bluewater and offshore billfishing. I love this place! Enrique and Nancy are super friendly, special people who make me feel at home. They are very accomodating and well-connected. They were up every morning with breakfast waiting for me and a lunch packed for the boat. They know everyone in town and they can recommend excellent and reliable captains and guides for what ever type of excursion that you are looking for. Besides fishing and kayaking , not to mention a major diving destination, there are many local breath taking waterfalls, hiking, and beautiful isolated beaches, Right now there are a lot of humpback whales, on any given day that we were out there were up to 20 whales near the boat. Besides being wonderful hosts, Nancy is an incredible chef and all the meals were hearty and delicious. This is a very special place to stay and I find the people very friendly and happy and enjoyable to be with. The accomodations, food and service are excellent and had I more vacation time I would have stayed longer.

Room Tip: The rooms are excellent. The beds are comfortable, there is a fan and private bathrooms. The breeze...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Mark R
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I spend 5 days in Bahia Solano covering a Billfishing tournament for the magazine I was writing for. The owner Enrique is one of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere. His wife and staff were just tremendously gracious and accommodation and the hospitality was second to none.

This region is very exctic, remote, and worth every dime you spend that it takes to get here. There is wonderful wreck to dive to approximately 190 feet down that was at Pearl Harbor. During mating season, you can wake up to the sound of humpback whales (I saw just one, but I was there late.) The fishing is second to none. We actually caught a wahoo from the end of a dock. I assure you this is as rare!!!

The accommodations were great considering the location and the fact that the hotel is open air. However every night my bed was turned down, the netting around me protected me from every single bug that may have used by forehead as a landing strip, or my legs as a feeding ground.

If you want the trip of a lifetime. Call Enrique and tell him David from "Fishing The Flats" fishing show recommended you contact him!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank david t
London
Reviewed 9 January 2009

This is a small family run hotel in Bahia Solano which is in the Colombian province of Choco on the Pacific coast. The only other tourists I saw were Colombians and I was the only European in town for the week I stayed there. My purpose was to indulge my salt water fly fishing passion; Bahia Solano was quite well known as a fly fishing destination in the 90s but seems to have flown beneath the radar since then. My host Enrique is a very knowledgeable fisherman and runs diving and eco tours. Its difficult to get there - air being the most reliable and I flew in from Medellin but there are flights from Bogota. Enrique picked me up at the airport and we had a great weeks fishing - dorado and tuna being the principal quarry.
Food was all prepared by Nancy who is Enriques wife and a bit of an authority on Pacific coastal cookery - she is also a local community leader and had a visiting group of ministers and civil servants whilst I was there. Not once though did we have meat - it was fish all the time but the quality was fantastic.
The rooms are great with fans and private facilities and there is internet access through Enriques computer. He speaks good English and is very helpful and locally the family are well known and well connected.
I suspect that like me most visitors will be looking for a specialist attraction and if diving or fishing is your interest then I thorughly recommend it - alternatively eco tours and local visits are worthwhile.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — noise transmission
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank mikeyoukee
#3 of 11 in Bahia Solano
Posada Ecoturistica El Valle
Posada Ecoturistica El Valle
#6 of 9 in Bahia Solano

Been to Rocas de Cabo Marzo? Share your experiences!