“Great meal on the Mosel”

Storcke Stutz Kellerschanke
Cuisines: German, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 December 2013

On our return to BernKastel after a day out in Cochem we were looking for somewhere to have dinner and, by sheer luck stopped in Traben-Trarbach which is about half way between the two, it was here we found the Storcke Stutz restaurant. The place is built into a hillside with vaulted ceilings and exposed stone where the rear walls have been cut out of the rock. This and lit candles on tables makes for a very atmospheric feel. The staff were very friendly and spoke good English. The menu as usual in German restaurants was comprehensive with an excellent choice of meals including vegetarian. Jay had a wonderful selection of mixed vegetables including fried slice potatoes in Riesling and Thyme sauce and I had one of my favourites, Schnitzel. We complimented our meals with Diet Coke, Gluhwein, Pils and Schnapps, all for only 30 euros, excellent value.

There are newer reviews for Storcke Stutz Kellerschanke

Reviewed 22 May 2013

This restaurant is beautiful, housed in what I presume is old cellars. Anyway it really is lovely. The restaurant is very cosy with candles on each table. We came here two nights of our seven night stay because we enjoyed our first visit so much! The restaurant serves a range of dishes, but on the first night I had schnitzel and on the second night a pork steak. Both were incredible! Most delicious pork dishes I've ever tasted!! The waitress service was fantastic, efficient and friendly. The wine served is produced from the surrounding vineyards and made by a local family who's wine cellar is just around the corner. If you are staying in traben-trarbach you cannot miss this restaurant! Busy on both nights we visited!

Reviewed 7 October 2012

This is an atmospheric cellar-type restaurant. Alongside the usual dishes are some more earthy traditional dishes - I had the Schlachtplatte and it was very much to my taste. Service was efficient but extremely variable in terms of courtesy, one young waitress being pleasant and friendly, her older colleague anything but.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We just happened upon this restaurant in Trarbach as we were hungry and there were not many open restaurants to be seen in the area at 7pm!..... It is an old arch roofed cellar dating back to the 1400's. We got a warm welcome and were shown to a table, nicely situated in a cosy corner. There were several other tables occupied which made for a pleasant animated atmosphere. The food we ate, schnitzel, fish, pork was fresh, tasty and good value without being anything special, however we found the waitress to be friendly and polite and our overall experience was a positive one. Would definitely revisit the Cellar.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I arrived at the restaurant mid-evening and it was quite full of people dining; however most people were already eating and some were preparing to leave. I ordered a glass of wine which came very quickly, but when I ordered a spaghetti dish I was told that it would take ‘at least an hour’ as the restaurant was very busy – I was not offered an alternative dish. I decided to just finish my glass of wine and find another restaurant; I couldn’t wait an hour for a very simple dish.
Just as I was leaving a German couple came in and ordered food and it was brought to their table within 10 minutes! When I queried this with the waitress, she said that she had been told by the Chef that my dish would definitely take an hour and there was nothing she could do about that.
The dish which I had ordered was advertised on the blackboard outside of the restaurant, and it seems to be a permanent fixture there; I know this because I have visited Traben-Trarbach at least twice a year for the last 10 years.
All I can say is that if you don’t speak absolutely prefect German then it is best to avoid this restaurant, they can’t be bothered with you.