“This hotel is ' something special '”

RIVA - Das Hotel am Bodensee
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Konstanz
Bristol, United Kingdom
“This hotel is ' something special '”
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

The whole stay here is 'tops'
The staff are extremely courteous the food is outstanding and location ! Well, idyllic ! Tranquil and yet only a short stroll from the centre of Konstanz
The breakfast here is substantial even serving yourself Prosecco.
Very attentive staff always topping up where there is a lack.
We had to ask for nothing.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank SueTett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The RIVA is excellent, even exceeding our expectations. We had a Deluxe Double corner room with a large balcony and a beautiful outlook over the lake. The room, including the bathroom, was lovely, roomy, comfortable, and well appointed. The staff were helpful, courteous and friendly. The location is perfect. It is about a 15 minute easy stroll along the lake to the city; however, no need to go into the city for dinner when you have a very high class restaurant at the RIVA. The hotel asks you to make reservations in the restaurant before arrival, and we booked for the 4 nights we were there. It was a very good decision. It was full every night; many of the dinner guests were locals. The food, wine and service are first class, and there is certainly enough variety on the menu to keep you interested night after night. Same goes for the breakfast. Excellent food and service. If you are planning a trip to Konstanz, this is the right address.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with balcony with view of the lake
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 days at this lovely hotel on Lake Konstanz. Great location within easy walking distance of the picturesque old town area. It's a very well run facility in all respects. Very good cuisine in the restaurants and the rooms are well maintained with a high level of comfort. All of the staff are very pleasant and offer top notch service to their hotel clientele. Would definitely stay at this facility again if visiting Konstanz in the future.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank JOP-TRIP
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I enjoyed Riva hotel a lot. We only stayed there for one night so did not try all hotel offers. I really liked the design of the rooms and hotel in general. The staff was attentive and welcoming. We had a terrace in the room but only a partial view on the Lake Constance. The restaurant at the hotel has 2 Michelin stars but we didn’t try it because it was fully booked (they did offer a table at 18.30, but it was too early for us). There’s parking outside and inside which are both fine. The hotel is not directly in the centre but you can reach the old part by walking along the embankment (with no cars).
We expected more from breakfast though, it was very average - if it wasn't included I wouldn't pay for it :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yelenka
Kendal
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I was visiting some friends In Konstanz,and they recommended this Hotel.The first test is how good the reservation team are.The first impression certainly gave me confidence.Julia was friendly and efficient ensuring the booking was correct,including the odd request to ensure my stay would be comfortable.
I arrived just after 1pm on Saturday.The hotel is beautifully situated with a mixture of an old and new part.It is very open planned with loads of space.It has the feel of a homely boutique hotel but with 5 star facilities.
Stefanie checked me in and after the usual signature and confirming my restaurant and massage bookings,she showed me to the room.
It is divided up into four distinct parts,you enter and the bathroom is on you right and the wardrobes on the left,with a mirror hiding the toilet behind it,very tastefully done.
Then you enter the main body of the room with a large seating area leading onto a balcony with a stunning view of the lake.A shame that the sun did not make an appearance
over the whole week-end,but I cannot blame the hotel for that!!!
The bed was a good size and was extremely comfortable.I always say that this is the most important thing for any hotel.I slept really well indeed.
My massage with Anne was excellent,she ensured that I was happy with the pressure.She successfully took away the stresses and aches from the flight and my exercise in the gym.
After an aperitif at my friends' home,we dined in the Orphelia(I have done a separate review.
On Sunday morning after a 45 blast on the bike in the small but well equipped gym,I went down for breakfast,which was lovely,lots of fresh fruit,breads and croissant.I had an exceptionally tasty bowl of Swiss Muesli.
The service was friendly,bringing fresh pots of tea.During the day I had a walk round the town,it is very quaint with lots of old buildings.Th Rathaus(townhall is a spectacular building.You can see where the townspeople's taxes go!!
I asked Simone and her colleague(alas I do not have his name,if they could drop a letter off at my friends' house,this was no problem at all.Simone also arranged some flowers for me-nothing was too much trouble.
In the evening I had a drink in the bar and had a lovely chat with the delightful Stephanie(she had served us the Orphelia the evening before.She really loves her work and enjoys seeing other people enjoying themselves.
On Monday,after another enjoyable breakfast I checked out.This again was with the other Stefanie.She showed me all my receipts to ensure that I was happy that everything on the ill was correct,and ordered me a taxi.
I will return as I had a very relaxed week-end.
Kendal mint

Room Tip: With a view of the lake!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KendalMint
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This hotel is an excellent address to spend a lovely weekend at the wonderful Konstanz lake. The hotel is a 15min foot walk out of Konstanz centre but gives a perfect view on the lake. The hotel has a nice SPA and a heated terrace pool which gives you even in winter a perfect view over the lake. Dining at the hotel's restaurant is a must.

Rooms are well decorated and nicely furnished. The staff is very nice and always helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ralle007
West Kingston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Sometimes I worry about great reviews of places when a limited number of hotels are located in town. For example, if there are 7 hotels and it's rated number 1, I don't take that in the same fashion if there are 300 hotels in town. That being said, this place was fantastic. The setting on the lake, the service, the spa, the rooms, all top notch. My only regret is that I wasn't able to come in the summer, because the pool on the roof, although heated, would have been fun to hang out at. The only critique I would give this place is that they have the traditional hard beds that a lot of places in Europe have. I like a soft bed, but that being said, I would overlook this and stay here again in a second.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business