“The Pension that Scrooge ran”
Review of Hotel Pension Graf

Hotel Pension Graf
Ranked #13 of 17 Konstanz B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“The Pension that Scrooge ran”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

One of my least favourite hotels in the last 20 years of travel. It's got a run-down, greasy feel. While the location is very central (minutes walk from train station and harbour) it's also extremely noisy. We never actually saw the manager, and had our money take (paid for both days in advance, before we got to see the room) by the cleaning staff that spoke neither German nor English. The room hadn't been painted since the fall of the Berlin wall, and most of the mismatched furniture (with the exception of the 10" Chinese LCD TV) was even older. The room had a tiny shower, but toilet was shared on the floor, and smelled abysmally. As a final insult, the room ended up costing us 90 euro, without breakfast.

It's a scam. Run away.

Room Tip: Don't. Go somewhere else. Anywhere. If you're mainly interested in the area around Konstan...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AllanSimonsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I payed €40 for single room that had a sink. Bathroom was shared though. TV in room. Got a view facing out the back looking into the yards of other buildings. Didn't see one staff member after I checked in so no presence in that sense; not sure what to do in case of an Emergency. Not much choice of budget accommodation in Konstanz, better off making it a day trip from elsewhere or stay in Youth Hoste.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Konstanz hotels

Murten, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We've been there in the week before Xmas for only 1 night (kind of emergency - we missed the train...).
The room was in the third floor with commonly shared shower and toilet. Basic interior, noisy, cold and run down, but at least had a small TV. The pension wasn't staffed whether in the evening nor the next day. We had to wait 15 minutes in the cold before the owner showed up in his car after calling him from the intercom. Contract was signed in a store room. No service at all, no breakfast, no bottled water, we weren't even allowed to store our luggage there for a few hours til our train was supposed to leave. Awful accommodation and costly: 59 EUR/dbl. bed. Never again!
Only good thing was the location close to Lago-Mall, train station and city center, but this credit goes to the owner about a century (or more) ago...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stefan G
CALCUTTA, INDIA
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I usually do not stay hotel below 4 stars or minimum 3 stars so I was bit worried about what to find. But due to all better option in Konstanz (like my favourite The Halms) was full I booked this hotel. But the hotel came out to be better than expectation. It is a family run small hotel. The room was small but clean. Also the bed, pillow etc were clean. Bathroom is recently refurbished and I must admit that though it was small but very clean and modern.
They even kept my request for extra pillows and power sockets for my laptop camera etc.
Prices are though little in the higher side considering the size and class of the hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SUBIRGHOSH
Zug
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We had a good time here. This little, charming hotel is located perfectly in the city center. I wasn't worried about the hotel being horrible because they have a lovely website and I had emailed them several times before arriving and they were swift and helpful in their replies - which to me always shows a good and popular business.

The hotel is in a great location, just a minute walk from the train station / harbour. The room we had was a suite for 3 adults and was spacious and clean with maid service everyday, cost 119 euros a night, whichs okay compared to the competition (e.g. youth hostel (YHA) charges 30 euros/bed in a dorm!) The room had a flat tv and a bathroom, towles, cups and soap included. Unfortunately furnishings past the sell-by date. They gave us a hairdryer and an electric water kettle. Beds were really comfy and the bedding was cosy! It was lovely and the staff do speak enough english to get you by if you don't speak German.

There´s a supermarket and a little mall opposite and the old town is just a minute walk. The hotel will give you a key and you can come and go as you please, I must admit the hotel didn't look as bright as the website but we weren't dissapointed and it was really good value for the location alone! Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandra_Laurer
Mannheim, Germany
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Hotel Graf is an awful place: the rooms are small and noisy, the service is terrible and it is just as expensive as a 4 star hotel. Absolutely NOT! recommendable. We stayed there only for one night with our little son (5 months). We had to pay 80€ to get a tiny double room (excluding shower and toiletts). First of all they let us wait for 30 min to get the keys for our room (although we had reserved the room) and then they made us leave the stroller outside the hotel in the rain as we were not allowed to leave it in the floor of the hotel. Never go there if you don´t have to....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Pia55
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This is the worst accommodation I encountered on a recent holiday in Switzerland and Germany. I stayed at about 15 hotels and guesthouses on this trip. The cost of this place was about average, but the standard was dreadful.

The place is barely better than a backpacker hostel, which is OK, but the price was that of a two star or even three star hotel, which it definitely is not. The value for money was very poor.

My room was up three flights of stairs and was tiny. There was a single bed, a basin in the corner, and a TV that worked occasionally. The two-way hinged window was broken. The tiny shower room and toilet were at the end of the hall. Two hours after I moved in, the woman who had booked me in knocked on the door with another guest to see if the room was free.

I had paid in Swiss francs and had been promised some change. It never arrived. All night, people moved around in the corridor and starway outside my room, having long conversations.

I'm all in favour of cheap, basic accommodation, but this was basic accommodation that was very expensive for what I got.

I was told there was free internet. I could not connect.

Needless to say that, unlike most Swiss and German hotels I stayed in, there was no breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo