“Great atmosphere and local food.”

Tamaras Weinstube Zum Guten Hirten
Ranked #10 of 293 Restaurants in Konstanz
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We found this restaurant based on ratings from this site. We were pleasantly surprised.
Located in the old part of town, this place offers a great opportunity to experience some local cuisine and atmosphere. This seems to be a local joint, as many customers appeared to be regulars, sitting at the bar area, laughing and enjoying themselves. This really gave the restaurant a nice, warm feel.
I must warn you that the menu is not typical, and it is all in German, which I suppose is OK since Konstanz is in Germany. Still, we were a bit stuck on a few things, but thankfully, one of the waitresses spoke English and was able to help us out.
The menu basically consists of an offering of various Fammkuchen (tarte flambée, a sort of pizza), an assortment of salads, and a few other warm dishes. The salads are not your typical type, as they offer an assortment of dishes. We opted for a mixed dish, which had some potato salad, carrots, cabbage, and lettuce. It was very good, and a great way to get started. For our main entree, my wife and I selected a ham dish, sort of ham hock, I believe. It is normally served with potato salad, but I asked for roasted potatoes with mine, which was not a problem. The quality was very good. It was very reminiscent of a ham steak in the flavor, but much more tender. Very tasty. We drank some local wine, which was pretty good as well.

Overall, this was a very pleasant experience, very friendly and local. Our table was large, so other people sat with us. If that's a problem for you, then perhaps this is not the place for you. Another point to remember, they do not accept credit or debit cards, cash only, so come prepared. If you want for traditional German food, other than the typical sausages and schnitzels, and want to experience some local German atmosphere, then this is the place for you. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, despite the fact that the restaurant was packed, and the food was very good. Enjoy!

2  Thank Chefsprive

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I've been to Tamara's on a few occasions and each time I feel like I'm taken back to a beautiful, old world, charming weinstube. The wines are delicious and the menu, while quite small, has a wonderful variety of local produce. Their duennele is delicious. We're going again on Saturday and I can hardly wait. Tamara is a wonderful hostess and speaks with all of the clients and also her staff are always welcoming and friendly. Definitely worth trying.

5  Thank VictoriaFM
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a nice small place, clearly very old, with an authentic old-fashioned decor. I walked in without a reservation around 5:30 PM on a Saturday, and the place was PACKED, mostly with locals. I had to share a long table with two couples at opposite ends, and it was literally the only free seat available. Make a reservation if you can, so this doesn't happen to you.

Food was an interesting mix of regional cuisine and your standard German fare. I especially liked the Dünnele, which is a kind of local pizza made on flat bread without tomato sauce.

As a Swiss resident, I cannot stress how cheap this place is in comparison to an equivalent restaurant in Switzerland: an entree costs under 10 Euros, a pint of beer, 3.20. This is true of dining in Konstanz in general.

Despite what some other reviews have mentioned, my waitress was very attentive and spoke perfect Englsh.

Overall, an excellent experience. Definitely recommended

4  Thank fgalkin
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I spent many nice evenings in this authentic wine tavern. It is a good place to enjoy a delicious wine and tasty fresh local food specialities with friends. And the best is the friendly and perfect service of Tamara.
But be aware that you might have to wait for a free table as it is a very popular location. The seats in the two inside rooms are mostly taken as well as the "garden" seats outside.

2  Thank emzet68
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We were staying at the adjacent Hotel Gretel last weekend and decided to try out the Weinstube on the Saturday night. The interior is charmingly decorated, and looked much as it probably would have done several hundred years ago. The waiter who served us was very confused and rushed off his feet. When we asked what one of the dishes was (we live near Stuttgart but the Bodensee region has different products, of course), we were told it was a sausage. "Yes, but what type?" I asked (wondering if boiled, grilled, cured, fried, or whatever). He went away and came back several minutes later (having served other customers in the mean time). "It's a pork sausage." Not exactly helpful and we didn't bother with it. What we CAN recommend are the Dünnele (flat breads with ham/cheese/potatoes etc.). These were superb (even if the waiter got the order wrong for these too). Prices are good too by Konstanz standards.
So, all in all, well worth a trip for good regional fare but just be patient with the service!

6  Thank djw2000