“Shocking lack of service and responsibility towards hotel guests”
Review of Boardinghouse HOME

Boardinghouse HOME
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My 78 year old mother and her friend stayed at this hotel from 12 - 16 August 2014. I booked the hotel through booking.com.

Anybody using this hotel should be aware that reception is only open from 7 am - 11 am! My mother arrived at 8 pm, tried to check-in through the hotel ATM/credit card system - for some reason or other her cards were all rejected. She tried to call the hotel owner, nobody picked up the phone for a full three hours....

By 11 pm, other hotel guests finally helped her out by using their credit card to check in (she reimbursed them in cash).

Can you imagine what would have happened in case of fire, flooding or other calamities?

Fair enough that the hotel operates reception hours but at the very least somebody should be available 24/7 on the phone!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan66

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our trip to Kostanz was a last minute decision and by the time we arrived, just about every hotel in the city was completely sold out. (Not sure if we would have even considered this hotel if there was more availability). The Boardinghouse is located in a residential neighborhood, but is a short walk from the city area and the harbor- we were very pleasantly surprised by how convenient the location was (plus there was plenty of available free street parking). Because we arrived at the hotel around 5pm, reception wasn't staffed and so check in was at a kiosk. This was a little strange, and could have turned out to be very frustrating if there was an issue finding the reservation. Our room was spacious, very modern, extremely clean and looked almost brand new- I was really quite surprised at how nice it was. The shower was a little small, but the water was hot and the pressure was excellent. Our room also had a small kitchenette that would have been extremely convenient if were staying for more than 1 night. My only gripes with the hotel were that there was only 1 pillow in our room, and 2 very small towels. And because there was no staffed reception, I wasn't sure who or how to call for another pillow or towels. All said though- we found the Boardinghouse to be a real secret gem and we'd consider staying there again. (Also- we travelled to Lindau the next day, and compared to Kostanz, we really wish we spent another night in Kostanz. Since there is a university in Kostanz, the city has a wonderful energy and is very diverse. We loved it.)

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, and were happy with it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The apartment hotel in Konstanz was a very modern and stylish hotel with spacious rooms to a reasonable price. The location is a ten minute walk from the old town where most of the action is, which is fine. I really loved the interior of the rooms and especially that you got so much space for that price, so you could easily make this a home for a long time (we only stayed for a short time). The check-in is supposed to be automated through a machine similar to the ones at the airport, but the machine didn’t work (we got our key, but couldn’t select additional services).

One of the services you could miss out on is the breakfast. I thought it was a joke when I saw their offer, which wasn’t much more extensive than what I have at home and at home I don’t have to pay that much for it. I actually convinced the front desk staff to cancel our already booked breakfast due to this.

Room Tip: Even the smallest rooms are very big and make sure to take one with a terrace if it is summer!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SwedishTravelPro
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I wouldn't recommend this property because the staff was very rude in dealing with my clients. My clients had to cancel their trip and we had booked 6 nights here, we understood the penalty for 1-3 nights but would not give any money back for the remaining nights and we had booked 2 rooms for 6 night and had to cancel and did not receive a penny back- yet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank dreadreon
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at the Boarding House HOME for a total of 3 weeks while looking for an apartment in Konstanz. Having read the other reviews, I note that many of the other reviewers' complaints are no longer valid.

Compared to other hotels in Konstanz, BHH is considerably less expensive, and having the ability to make at least some of one's own meals adds to the value. My first week I was in their most basic room, which only had a microwave and no cook top. Next I was in a "Deluxe B" which was spacious, and the last week I was in "Komfort B" which was as much room as I needed. All the rooms have a coffee maker, water boiler and toaster, as well as adequate dishes and cutlery.

One complaint people had was about the internet access. My code and password were printed on the receipt I received at the check-in kiosk, which I found easy and straight-forward to use. The code was valid for the duration of that booking. Management will give you another key-card to leave in the slot so that your devices will charge when you're not in the room.

Another complaint was that there was no soap or towels, so I brought my own, but it turned out that towels are supplied. You only get one set per week without additional charge (same with sheets). There was a selection of soap, body wash, shampoo and moisturizer, but in my opinion travelers who rate a hotel based on the free soap are clueless anyway, but if you should happen to forget yours (or run out), some is provided.

Another complaint was that the minimal staffing was a problem. I completely disagree. Staff was available all morning for the important matters, and were very friendly and helpful. They offer discounts to some attractions and assistance with public transportation. Likewise, the staff at breakfast were friendly and helpful.

I thought the breakfast buffet was only adequate, and for 10 Euros over-priced, but it got me through the first few days until I got my own food set up.

Overall I thought BHH was an excellent place for a longer-term stay for someone on a business trip or a self-sufficient tourist. What it lacks in services and amenities it more than makes up in value. Recommended.

Room Tip: I thought the "Komfort B," the smaller fully equipped apartment, was the best overall deal...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GlobalSkiSurf
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Nice apartment where you could relax and it di not feel like a hotel room. Stayed in 2 person single bedroom flat. Check in was a bit strange despite there being a reception you have to check in using a computer terminal with the helpful man from the reception desk telling you which buttons to press. Not sure why he could not just have check you in. Kitchen was good with all you need to prepare anything. Vast bathroom and nice balcony to have breakfast. Underground car parking was bit of a squeeze but not a lot of parking on street. Easy walk to the Rhine, bit more of a walk 15min into town. Internet was fine.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Take great care.. when i was booking on line i requested a cot for our baby as i was not clear on the information provided relating to no beds. I received no response. I requested clarification and this was provided only one day before our trip. They could not provide a cot and accordingly we could not stay here. We were very disappointed to be charged 80% of the cost whether they had the right to or not.
Very disappointed