“New Owner - Great Stay”

Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Konstanz
Brisbane
“New Owner - Great Stay”
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We had a problem with our Expedia booking, noted that this has happened previously according to the reviews.

However the new owner was very friendly and accomodating, we had our confirmation from Expedia with us and were quickly booked into the hotel.

The room was a reasonable size, it was dark at the end of the corridor to our room which made intial entry somewhat slower than necessary. The decor was a little dated but the bedding was all new and clean. The bathroom was dated but very clean with a good shower.

The restaurant (run by the new owners husband I believe) was very quaint with terrific views and great food.

Enjoyable stay. We really enjoyed visiting Meresburg and would greatly recommend this.

Cheers from Australia.

• Liked — Seperate Dooners and Great Pillows
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Victoria,BC
Reviewed 10 August 2006

We stayed at the 'Schiff am See' July 28 - 30, 2006. Hotel itself was fine. Our reservation, through Expedia, was not. I booked a room for 3 (myself and 2 teenage children) and a roll-a-way bed, they had a single room for us - sleeping 1!. The woman who checked us in was accommodating and able to move us to a double room, but could not fit in the roll-a-way, so they placed a small mattress on the floor. Quite crowded, but it worked. Hotel has nice view and easy bus access to town and was comfortable enough, but is quite remote. I would have give the place a decent review until we checked out. The friendly woman who checked us in was in the breakfast room, we were checked out by a man I assume was the manager. When I gave him our key, he commented, 'So you're that one.' I expected that comment would proceed an apology about how they didn't get the reservation right and a enquiry as to whether we were satisfactorily accommodated. Wrong! He went on to inform me that I cannot show up with a reservation for one person and expect a place to accommodate 3. I showed him my confimation for 3 people and the roll-a-way bed, but apparently he didn't consider that sufficient proof that I was not wrong. He explained 'everyone knows' you cannot put an extra bed in a single room and that no way can 3 people stay in one. I calmly explained that I did not request a single room and did indeed have written confirmation of my needs and reservation. He said that didn't matter and that I should not have shown up with an improper reservation. He said I should have contacted the hotel directly to let them know our requests. Actually, I had done that. I emailed the hotel directly 2 weeks before our arrival, but received no reply from them. I did not know I had reserved 'incorrectly' as I have booked using Expedia before without problems. There was no communication issue as I am fluent in German. This man spent 10 minutes telling me I was wrong! I have never had anything like this happen to me at a hotel anywhere before. I was charged for a double room for our two night stay but not charged extra for the mattress on the floor (he told me they were generous providing this). I had no issue with the cost. Although I thought I pre-paid through Expedia, unfortunately I did not have proof with me. I paid the higher rate before leaving. If I was indeed charged twice, I will provide an update. The manager's parting words were that they have had similar problems with bookings before. This came, finally, after 10 minutes of being berated by him. Unfortunately for the hotel, had my check-out gone well, I would have written an entirely different review. Based on my experience, I cannot recommend this place.

11 Thank Victora_Rose
Germany
Reviewed 9 September 2005

We stayed in a suite, costing 140 euros a night. Very nice rooms with views of the lake in two directions. The restaurant is run separately to the hotel and serves excellent, fine cuisine. As in many places in Germany, the service is not speedy, especially since the restaurant was full.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank HeatherGermany
London, UK
Reviewed 1 September 2003

Right next to the ferry crossing terminal, our room had a nice view of Lake Konstanz and a small balcony. We must have been upgraded to a suite as our room was huge with a separate sitting room and a king-size bed. Excellent family run hotel - very good hospitality and best continental breakfast we had during our week's trip to Germany!

6 Thank Zana711