“"Avoid in Summer....probably, any time of year"”
Review of Hotel Petershof

Hotel Petershof
Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Konstanz
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Want to re-iterate what several of the recent reviewers have said about this hotel. Stayed for 4 nights for a conference when temperatures were around 28C-30C. Room on 1st floor was unbearably hot and only option would be to open window, but with bus stop and road just below, this meant loads of noise. I was told by reception that the top floors and the garden room were even hotter!!

After 1st night, I found another hotel but upon trying to leave was told I would have to pay ALL nights. After I made a request, reception staff reluctantly phoned manager but he showed no sympathy and said no question of refund. I was told if I left without paying, the police would be called(!!)

After several requests and much umming and arghing a fan was found, which made latter nights more bearable, but not ideal.

Staff running the place all seemed like students working part-time and clearly out of their depth and with little room to make decisions for benefit of customers.

On final day, asked to leave luggage and told they "didn't offer this service" and had no room. Amazing....think only hotel in the world I've ever heard this.

Konstanz is a wonderful place, but don't ruin your stay but staying in the Petershof.

Room Tip: Don't travel in Summer - no AC or ventilation.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank travelsense2014

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Booked a 6-night stay to attend a conference with a colleague and charged “top dollar” for a poky little room which could just about get the bed in. I had specifically asked for a double bed and got two single divans pushed together which was very uncomfortable.

There is no air conditioning and on the first two days it was 33c, on the second day they managed to rustle up a fan. I was in Room 111, which was directly over the guest’s sitting space in the garden and thus noisy.

A couple of the female staff were very good but the rest had a studied air of indifference and surly disposition, twice I was told I could not eat in the back breakfast room for no good reason (on one occasion the young woman trying to stop me was over-ruled by a colleague).

The internet was down most of our visit and a receptionist told us that the internet provider had not turned up to fix it on several occasions (reading previous reviews it would seem that this has been a problem for a long time).

The hotel bar is closed from 3.00 – 5.00pm every day so there is nowhere to get a drink and there are no tea / coffee making facilities in the rooms, we ended up going to the local Ibis Hotel for tea.

Breakfast selection is pretty good as long as you don’t mind eating as though you were participating in the rush hour. There is very little space where the food is laid out so if you get more than about 3 - 4 guests serving themselves (no waitress service) it becomes a bit of a scramble.

We returned to hotel one afternoon (Sunday) and went down to the bar at opening time of 5.00pm only to be told they had decided to close the bar and restaurant and open on the Monday instead (the hotel advertises outside the hotel that the restaurant is open Wednesday to Sunday inclusive). This was very inconvenient, as we had planned to eat at the hotel and now had to go and find a restaurant in town. We asked why no notice had been put up that it was going to be closed but no one had apparently had the foresight to do that.

We made representation to the receptionist and asked to see the manager but were told that there was no manager on duty, not even a duty manager. We then asked for our complaint to be passed to the manager, which she agreed to do. No one bothered to contact us during our stay to discuss the issue.

The final straw came on our last night when we asked to book a taxi to take us to the station the following day. The young man dealing with us did not have the slightest interest in what we wanted and we had to correct him three times so that he got the time of our departure right.

I wrote a list of our complaints and asked for it to be copied and handed to the senior management at the hotel and asked that they respond to the issues I had raised, 3 days after my return to UK no response from management, not even an acknowledgement to say they were investigating.

This “hotel” and I use the description guardedly is in my opinion no more than a glorified Bed and Breakfast place. The interior desperately needs updating, the carpet on the stairs is shabby and the décor in room 111 was brown brush strokes on whitish paint (I think the term shabby chic comes to mind).

A good number of staff need training in “providing excellent customer service” as would appear do the management.

If you need to stay this side of the river try the Ibis, which is functional, but a damned sight better than this place.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at this hotel…………..
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ellingtonia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Check in was quick and easy. Staff was friendly and pleasant, very helpful people.
No lift, not convenient to carry big luggage up the many levels of stairs but I think the staff would be more than willing to help if you are not able to do so.
Room was clean and adequate, bed was comfortable enough. We thought the set up of the double bed was weird, which was made up of two single beds with a separation in between. And the extractor fan in the toilet was very noisy. It was quite warm in the room, despite the cool April evenings, we had to open the window, thankfully it was not very noisy, managed to have good sleep on both nights.
Location was not right in the city, but we were given free bus passes to travel to city center, which is 5 minutes across the bridge. Take bus number 6 at the bus stop at the side of hotel (the bus runs in a circle in the city center, so you can get on the bus again from the stop that you were dropped off at in the center, instead of the stop at the opposite direction).
Food at the restaurant run by the hotel was good, we had dinner there on both nights that we were staying there, one was because the food was good enough to return again, on the other hand it was not easy to find other places to eat near there. The place was fully booked on both nights.
Breakfast was excellent, with a wide variety of food choices on offer, very good value, enjoyed it very much. The staff worked hard to clean tables and replenish food quickly.
Overall our stay was very good but we might try somewhere else in the city center to be closer to shops and restaurants if we are returning again next time. Konstanz is a very lovely town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We chose this hotel because it looked handy for exploring the city by foot (it is) and was priced appropriately (it was). But when we arrived in the middle of August we found that our room was very hot and there was no air conditioning, we requested a fan but were told that were none available. This meant a very uncomfortable hot night with the window shut and if you opened the window the street was very noisy.

What made it worse was when we were checking out we saw other rooms did have fans. Not impressed at all !

The restaurant was quirky and the food was good but all in all one stays at a Hotel to sleep and we couldn't.

Room Tip: Get one with air con or a fan! and not overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The staff is extremely rude, the hotel is overpriced, we left and lost all our money, didn't care, had booked 5 nights, stayed only one. Our room was very hot, noisy, impossible to sleep, tiny. The neighborhood is away from everything, and noisy. The breakfast is good but the environment unfriendly, girls are rude. No lifts, lots of stairs, away from city center. We found a four star , beautiful in the heart of the city for the same price. Better breakfast. Don't go there, pictures are tricky. The manager is worst than the employees.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

For 50 Euros per night, I knew that the Petershof wasn't going to be a luxurious option, but it fit the bill perfectly. My room (a single) was very small, but it had everything I needed for my long weekend's stay. Bed, desk, closet, TV, decently-sized bathroom. It's not in the center of Konstanz, but within a 10-15 minute walk, you're in the heart of this lovely town (which, in December, was abuzz with Christmas markets!). The breakfast was absolutely fantastic, above and beyond my expectations. Pastry, meats, cheeses, cereals, fruit, and fresh-squeezed orange juice, all served in the hotel's charming restaurant (which is just as nice at other times of the day). Next time I'm in Konstanz, keeping one eye on my wallet and the other on my belly, I'm coming back to the Petershof. (But minor warning: if you're checking out early in the morning, as I did, the front desk might not be staffed! I'm sure the staff can accommodate, though...)

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I stayed there for a few times for my business trips to Konstanz.

The location is not a stone's throw away from the Old Town but nevertheless it 'd take only about ten mins by foot to get to Konstanz Cathedral (which is located at the heart of the old town). It is located very close to the lake.

The hotel's buffet breakfast selection (largely continental breakfast + DIY juice machine) is surprisingly good and breakfast is included in room rate.

Rooms are clean and double rooms are spacious but beware that some aircon units can be noisy (the staff was very helpful in sorting out this) and top floor rooms can be too cosy due to sloping ceilings.

Room Tip: Try to avoid top floor rooms. They tend to be too cozy due to sloping ceilings.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business