“Great food, simple presentation, nice price”
Review of Suppengrun

Suppengrun
Ranked #21 of 286 Restaurants in Konstanz
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: Healthy, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Outdoor Seating
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Great food, simple presentation, nice price”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Also in the pedestrian zone--but off of the marketplace, Suppengrün was a very cozy stop on a drizzly summer day. Good for vegetarians or carnivores, it's a nice, informal place with very friendly staff and good, filling food that's a little unusual for a German restaurant. Not for schnitzel, but a good gulasch or Bohnensuppwould be likely.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank JohnRPublic

Konstanz, Germany
“A nice place for healthy food that could use an update”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I read the TripAdvisor reviews before going to Suppengruen and it fit the bill for what I wanted, healthy food at a reasonable price. The soups were quite good and the salad bar was decent. It offers vegan, vegetarian and meat choices, so all preferences are considered. I returned the next night and found basically the same offerings, which disappointed. I found the staff to be pleasant, but not particularly friendly. It seems like it has fallen into a bit of a rut, and I think it could use a few more substantial offering than just soup and salad. I would recommend it for lunch over dinner.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank GlobalSkiSurf
Hamburg
“Tasty, healthy food at a good price”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Vegetarian or healthy-food restaurants can be rather dull, but we left Suppengrun after a lunch of soups and salads feeling invigorated and satisifed with the taste, the quality and the good value. This time, six different soups and about a dozen salads were offered, including some vegan dishes and a few meaty ones, and some interesting ingredients such as wasabi sprouts - be sure to try some. Soup comes in a medium or very large bowl, and you pay for salads by weight. Everything we had was fresh and tasty.

The counter staff are friendly, and staff clear empty tables efficiently. At 1 pm on a weekday the place was full. This was one of the tastiest and best value meals we have had for a long time.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TOB_HH
Woodland, California
“Excellent - Finally an alternative to the norm”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Everytime I am in town from Los Angeles I make sure I stop at Suppengruen for lunch or dinner at some point during my stay. The super friendly staff and great variety of salads and soups in a relaxed and easy going atmosphere are just fantastic. Followers of my Chef-Lars food blog in LA know that I am always looking for places that offer unusual tastes and combinations of foods and Suppengruen offers all of that. From a wonderful offering of salads and home made salad dressings that never disappoint to a delicious offering of so many different soups. Regardless if I am looking for a good and proven staple of Hungarian Gulasch Soup, packed full of meat, or more vegetarian exciting favors and combination of spices and ingredience from all over the world, this place never disappoints. I know that if I would live and work here this would be at least a once a week lumch destination. Everything here is always fresh and home made from, what is obviously, the freshest and best ingredience. Well done Suppengruen, you deserve the 5-Stars!

Chef Lars

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Lars R
Zurich
“Somewhat depressing”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Having read the reviews of Suppengrun, I went there some time ago but turned away when I saw the miserable, post-WWII building it was housed in. On that occasion, I ended up (by good fortune) in EssBar, which turned out to be a real find). However, the enthusiastic reviews kept lingering in my mind so I went back there this month.
The restaurant is a vegetarian buffet bar with a wide range of soups, a poor selection of salads and a poorer one of breads. Both members of staff were pleasant enough but rather introverted. Outside dining consisted of long trestle tables and benches. Unfortunately the building beside is being renovated, so you feel as if you're sitting beside a building site.
Soup was very thick - too thick for my liking - but great taste, like it was 100% vegetable purée (which it probably was). For a place that offers only soups and salads, one would expect some inventiveness in the salads - but, alas, they were very much run of the mill. There were two bread rolls avasilable, neither of them recommendable. Take a trip less than 30 minutes away to Tibits in Winterthur and see how this can be done.
I feel like I'm raining on everyone's parade - the reviews here have been so enthusiastic. But so many vegetarians seem to accept with delight standards of cuisine in veggie restaurants that their meat-eating friends would not accept in "normal" restaurants.

• Visited July 2012