“Great for what we needed”

and 1 more site!
Altstadthotel Molitor
Ranked #3 of 13 Bamberg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Pros: 1. The hotel is on a quiet street in the middle of Bamberg, close to everything. 2. It has a small parking garage, which is nice for a city where parking lots and spaces are hard to find. 3. It has wi-fi. 4. The staff is really nice and 5. Like most places in Germany, breakfast is included and it was good. 5. Honor bar was a deal at 1 euro for a bottle of great beer. 6. It is literally ten paces from Klosterbrau, one of the many breweries in the area.

Cons: 1. Our room could have used updating/remodeling, but it was clean and quiet. 2. The aforementioned small parking garage means exactly that, 'small'; it is really meant to accomodate teeny tiny little vehicles, but we managed with ours.

We would stay there again because we thought the price was fair for what we got.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PikesPeaked

Reviewed 4 October 2011

It was time for our biannual beer trip. Found this hotel to be in a good location and with nice welcoming staff.
A fridge in the hallway with local beer and other drinks for 1€ a bottle!
Very good breakfast.
Comfortable rooms of good size.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndersE
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We arrived in the hotel after long journey and were rather tired. There were 2 workers at the reception: woman looked as Philipinas or Thailand native and 16-17 years old girl. They were talking with each other with great enthusiasm.After a short break (pfilipinas woman gave me a key and mumbled my room`s number) they renewed their talk with doubled energy. My teenager son and I (with heavy suitcases) were tying to find out our room and had obvious difficulties while reception`s workers kept chatering. It seems to me that pfilipinas woman looked at us with some irritation from time to time - we hindered these nice girls. At last we succeeded ! O-o-o!Good luck! But after 15- 20 minutes o I realized that my husband was absent too long and began to search him. There was nobody on reception,hotel`s doors were locked and my husband could not come in. He was waiting in the nearest bar.By the way,it was raining hard.!As it turned out,first he went with receptionist to look at hotel`s garage .But it did not fit him and he went to nearst garage ( 2 minutes walk). At this time receptionists locked the hotel`s doors and went home. It was - 18.30,though check in time in the hotel is 14:00 - 19:00 ,.and we were the only guests in this rainy evening
I can not say that our suite was bad. It was big and clean. Bads were comfortable and garden was nice, though without much privacy.But... It was not 2-level suite,as I expected - simply 2 rooms .It has not river view and beamed ceiling.There was not promised Wi-Fi. If I could see this suite`s foto,I should not book it. But foto of this suit absent on hotel`s site and on booking.com site

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank etalena
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Like the previous reviewer we nearly stayed at the Best Western but it was the last night of our German holiday so I wanted a more memorable stay than a chain hotel.

Ideally I wanted to stay round the corner at the St. Nepomuk hotel as it is in an amazing location on the river and is a converted mill but it was booked out. Never fear, this small hotel is a great place. It is a small 23 bed hotel in an original building across from a brewery.

There is the main building which has the beamed ceilings you see in the photos . We were in a separate annex that you reach from the street with your own key. Our room was modern and a good size. It didn't have the character touches of the main building so request this if you want one of these rooms.The beds weren't the most comfortable I've ever slept in but that's only one opinion! Being a 3 star hotel you don't get facilities like tea/coffee in-room, an iron, air con or satellite TV but we were only here one night so that wasn't a big issue.

The only real problem was the noise from the street outside. The area is a thoroughfare well into the small hours and even with the windows closed there is a lot of chatter that might disturb your sleep. We left really early to get to the airport so we didn't eat breakfast but I saw the end of breakfast service the previous day and it looked pretty substantial and the breakfast room is pretty and full of character. We had been directed to park in a 24 hr multi storey about 3 minutes drive from the hotel but there is a small garage on-site if you are early enough to get a space

B&B rate was 89 euros which was good value when you are in a position to walk to all main parts of Bamberg with ease. The Kaiserdom is 3minutes walk as is the main shopping centre. The area is full of original bulidings and the river Regnitz is right round the corner which makes for a beautiful vista.

This is a good spot to be at the centre of things. I would probably like something a little more plush if I was here for more than a day or two but it was much better than any chain hotel could offer

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beamed ceiling
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irishbrightsmile
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We almost stayed at the Best Western but I booked this place at the last minute and I am so glad that I did! It was inexpensive and very quaint and charming. Great location too, very easy to walk everywhere. It is a bit hard to find the first time but that is part of it's charm. The rooms were relatively large too. We loved Bamberg in general and this hotel was one of the best parts of our experience!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LSB_11
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Very convenient to all the popular sites. The staff was extremely nice and helpful, especially Uschi. She assisted us with getting our car parked (they do have a garage on site), quickly checked us in and gave us maps and directions, so we could immediately go out to enjoy beautiful Bamberg. Breakfast was tasty, the typical meat, cheese and cereal choices.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank love2travel360
Reviewed 24 December 2010

This was on the river and easy walking distance to the old part of town(even in the snow). There is no staff on duty after 7 but was not a problem for us. right across the street is the Klosterbrau Brewery so we at there two nights. No tourists and it is busy every night- we were luck to get a seat- shared tables. Good breakfast. The staff( young women) spoke english and were friendly. There was free internet in the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple