“Good smoked beer”

Cuisines: German, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We had heard that this place had the best smoked beer, and that is true! We enjoyed it more than Schlenkerla, which is overly smokey. The food was good, the service was okay, the atmosphere typical for a local beerhall, although a bit warm. We sat at a large shared table. I had roast pork belly with an ugly, big dumpling and a side salad. The pork belly was good. I had asked for asparagus soup, but none ever appeared, and there was no explanation. But since it wasn't on the bill, I didn't mind. My husband had the sauerbraten with more ugly dumplings, and yummy red cabbage. He said it was very good.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

My boyfriend ordered their Ungespundet beer but he got the Lager. The waitress was running around with several lagers so she just gave him one despite he ordered a different one. This has spoiled our evening a bit as we were not sure if she did it on purpose or not. The Lager is amber colour and Ungespundet (much better beer) is light yellow so do not get fooled. The food was OK, very good value for money.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stopped here three times in two days! I've rated only 3 stars due to their flaky serving hours, lack of some food (on the menu), and failure to serve lunch on our third try.

The first visit was a late lunch at 1315 and we lucked out and got in before they stopped serving food at 1345. The gulasch and bier were some of the best of both I've had in my 11 years living in Germany. So, since it was so good we tried again that night for a very light meal (the lunches were HUGE!). Wow, what a difference in the crowd...lunch was slow (on a Friday) while dinner was packed and hot inside the restaurant. Found seats at a shared table and tried to order bean soup. Finished already for the night despite that it's not served until 1645 each day... Had more great unfiltered bier and some fried camembert (which was good enough).

After hiking in the forest outside town the following morning we headed back for another lunch -- since I'd checked their opening/service hours which showed their kitchen closed at 1345. We arrived at 1330 and were told the kitchen was closed. You've got to be kidding?! Then to top it off, they're closed Saturday nights.

I will say the food and bier are top notch and cheap. But getting served food is somewhat difficult despite their advertised hours. I'll go back in the future but I'll ensure we're there well before the kitchen closes.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

This place is always full of locals, which is always a good sign. When the waitress asked us to move from our first choice table we feared the worst, but she turned out to be really friendly with a good sense of humour (and the requested move was because the other table was reserved a bit later on). Good beer (be careful though to make the right choice if you don't like Rauchbier). Good hearty food. Very reasonable prices. Worth seeking out.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Place to go, if you want to escape the other tourists. Mainly locals come here.
Some of the best beer in Bamberg.
Good and solid traditional food - and it´s cheap!

They have simple, but very cheap rooms on the second floor.