Romantik Hotel Weinhaus Messerschmitt
Hotels.com
US$66
US$64
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewschristmas marketold townmodern roomsnice sizethe heart of the citybreakfast buffet isparking garagestay there againtrain stationgermanywillysightscentrefestivalbreweriescheesebeers
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This is a newly renovated very comfortable hotel 5 minutes walk from the central market place and 10 minutes from the old town. I was very surprised when I checked in as the hotel is completely new. Rooms are spacious and comfortable and very quiet. Since the hotel has a long history I was expecting much less. The restaurant is probably the best in town. Very upscale, but delicious and not pretentious. Friendly waitstaff, which is not always the case in Germany, and a great selection of Franconian wines.The staff were very accomodating and helpful. Parking is very limited though and not free. Most guests are refered to the public parking across the street. The hotel is not cheap, but worth the price to me.

I have reservations to stay there again this year and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. It is definitely "tourist friendly", which is important if your German is as spotty as mine.

The ONLY negative is checking in with a car. The hotel is on a very busy shopping street with parking control, which was totally occupied the day I was there. The "parkschein"machine was also broken that day, and with the parking control people quite active I was worried about getting a ticket Finding a place to park the car, then checking in was a minor problem, but after checking in I had to drive clear out of town and come all the way around again to get back to the hotel because all of the streets are one way, and there is only one way to get back to the parking area. With traffic it took almost 30 minutes to make the transit. There is NO "loading" zone in front of the hotel. Really a minor inconvenience, but if you are driving try to turn right just before the hotel onto the access road and park there and you can avoid the long drive I had to make.

Room Tip: Reserve one of the hotel parking spaces
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anrando
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our trip to Bavaria. It seemed like one of your traditional chain hotels - okay, but nothing to write home about.

The room was a nice size, and the closet had full length mirrors which I like. I had no problem with the bed, but my husband didn't find it comfortable, His back was actually bothering him the next day.

The buffett looked ok, I wasn't too hungry so I only had a few pastries, but it looked like they had eggs, sausage (the kind that Germany is known for, not what we think of in the States), cheese, juices, etc.

Parking could have been better. There really wasn't a place we could stop to just drop off our luggage. We had to find a lot that was open, park, and then walk along the street with our luggage until we got back to the hotel.

The Front Desk staff was pretty much non-existant. We never saw them out front, and it seemed to take them 5-10 minutes to get there after you rang the bell.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazeleyez3
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Historic building in a good location on the outskirts of the town centre. Our room in the modern annex was comfortable and quiet but rather bland and soulless. Popular restaurant and the buffet breakfast was good. Hotel parking was full but a large underground car park is a short distance away.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank psandps
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This attractive, historic hotel is very clean and comfortable, as to be expected in a good German hotel. My wife (who stayed here before it was renovated) was slightly disappointed that the renovations had, in her opinion, made the hotel lose some its charm. Good restaurant serving regional specialities. My only gripe (along with some other postings) is that the car park is very tight - it's ok for a Smart Car or a Mini, but difficult for larger vehicles. Overall, I was impressed and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Just a 1 night stay for a special family occasion with my wife and baby daughter. We stayed in Room 37 (the tower room) which was plushly furnished though slightly over-stuffed with furniture and some fabrics slightly frayed (though very clean).

The hotel is well-situated for exploring the delightful town and the staff (mostly..) speak English. The restaurant is more expensive than average but the quality of cuisine some of the finest I have experienced. Though part of the 'Romantik Hotel' marketing group, this is not a chain-hotel and the better for it.

The car park - small but certainly not the tightest - the reviewer below should try some of the Italian Hotels...

Would recommend.