“Fine travelling with children”
Review of Hotel Achtermann

Hotel Achtermann
Ranked #30 of 118 Restaurants in Goslar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nice hotel on edge of old town. Good, if unspectacular restaurant. You have the hotel reviewed, but not the restaurant.
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Fine hotel, but nothing special. We stayed in a recently modernized standard room. Had a large room to fit two kids but no view. Staff okay but made no special efforts. Pool was great though, and location also excellent. Parking easy but somewhat pricy at 10 euro per day.

Reviewed 26 December 2015

We were staying in the hotel and were looking for local fare, and my wife and I were both glad we stopped here. Located in the old Rosentor (Rose Tower) it has lots of character and historic class. The Maitre 'd provided us with English menus to peruse and we decided to stay. Although all the tables had reserved signs we were seated quickly (it was around 7PM) and the restaurant never did fill up. Service was attentive and courteous, although it should be noted that the kitchen does take their time, so plan on spending a leisurely dinner (not necessarily a bad thing).

The menu includes two prix fixe options, with 3 or 4 courses each, and then an a la carte menu. My wife chose a three-course menu, the Achterman, foregoing the appetizer, while I chose off the menu. My wife's menu included a cream of pumpkin soup, beef and pork medallions, and a pumpkin ice cream with hot sweet plums for desert. I chose the pumpkin soup as well, because it sounded so good, and a beef filet with a crusted mustard sauce.

We were brought a complimentary appetizer, a toasted slice of baguette with roasted tomatoes and onions in a light garlic and olive oil sauce, that was just delicious, but maybe we were hungry. The soup, although a little thin for my taste (my wife had no such complaint) was delicious, and both our entrees were top-notch. I tasted my wife's medallions, and although the sauce was a bit unenthusiastic (again, my wife had no such complaints) the meat was delicious and tender. Her fried potato side was also very satisfying. My beef filet was exceptional, melting off my fork, with a mustard and onion sauce that I wish I could re-create at home. I don't even remember what my side dish was, it was that good. My wife's desert (I ate most of the ice cream) was a perfect finish to the meal.

The restaurant décor does take one back in time, and I thought it was nicely done. My wife enjoyed reading old German quotes off the beams and walls. Our wait staff, which numbered three, I think, included a delightful young girl who spoke very good English (I'm guessing she was assigned to us since we asked for English menus) was very polite and considerate, and I cannot fault them for the timing of the kitchen, which I mentioned was a bit slow paced.

Just a wonderful dinner that I would highly recommend to anyone enjoying Altstadt Goslar.

Reviewed 4 May 2015

From welcome, seating, service, time from order to ready food and the decor, this was absolutely a great experience. We did certainly not get bad service as the young lady who waited on us was exstremely professional and polite. I know I will be going back to Goslar I won`t even try looking for something else. Would recommend it anytime.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel one evening, admittedly without a reservation but we were staying at teh hotel. I have been before and remembered excellent food and service. But thi stime we were put in a side area away from other guests and there was no atmosphere whatsoever. The food was ok, but the staff not particularly attentive. At one point we thoght we had been forgotten.

1  Thank Pete R
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We arrived quite late for our two nights stay at the Hotel Achtermann. Luckily wemanaged to get a table in the Restaurant. The next day we looked around for another place to dine, but we found no better than the Achtermann.