“fascinating tour of the mine”

Rammelsberg Mine and Mining Museum
Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Goslar
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We walked from the old town of Goslar to the mine and it took approx. 20 min. We took the tour that went down into the mine. Very interesting but not for anyone who doesn't like heights (some spiral stairs) or dark enclosed spaces. Our tour was in German and altho he offered to explain anything that we didn't understand in English, I am not sure if you could get a tour in only English. We felt that this was a not to be missed kind of place when in Goslar and thoroughly enjoyed it.

1  Thank teresa18

Reviewed 13 August 2014

If you visit Goslar, you should never miss the Rammelsberg mine. However If you only plan to walk around - don't make the effort, there is nothing much to see externally. They organize 2 trips inside the mine. We took the more expensive one, walking around 45-50 min inside the mine with a guide. My wife was impressed, we went quite down in the mine which was first experience for both of us. If I'm not mistaken, the price was 13 EUR but because we didn't had the chance to wait for English tour and booked a German one -they made a discount and gave us student tickets for 9 EUR.
Be aware that there is only 1 English tour per day and it can be in unconvenient time for you. So if you want, you can book a German tour, they will give you a paper folder with pictures and English explanations of the things you will see inside. And if you hve basic German lang. skills - you would unerstand almost everything.
The 2nd tour is shorter and cheaper and we didn't had time for it. What is nice there is that you enter in the mine with old mine train.

Advice: check their site for the exact tours and plan in advance when to be there. They also write in their site to bring special shoes but we used normal sport ones and it was still OK (the floor is wet with more water here and there). You definietly need a cloth with long sleeves

3  Thank 60,010,222
Reviewed 29 July 2014

In the Cultural History exhibition there is a wealth of material, extensive and detailed (with panels thankfully also in English) but just endless small text panels, with no overall organisation, no sections, no narrative. Thus it badly needs summary panels on all the topics. Pity because the history is fascinating, like over a 1000 years, right down to its importance in WW2. In the Mineral Exhibition in the old treatment plant area I shook my head. Just a bunch of rocks which will mean nothing to most people. Unless I missed something then nowhere was there a good explanation (visual / video or whatever) on the geology, on the formation of the Harz Mountains, and this major orebody system within it. This is a fascinating story but not a word. Beyond that there is an „art“ show in the old Power House which is a waste of time and resources. Overall there is NO effort to explain the technology of mining and processing, in simple terms, past and distant past at Rammelsberg. Nothing about mining methods (other than fire setting!?) and nothing about mineral processing.
So end of the day we see a big investment in a tourist presentation facility, but with major gaps. And gaps which could be remedied for not a lot more investment.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This mine seems interresting, but as we didn't have proper shoes, we wasn't allowed to participate in Theis torus Down to the mine

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Fascinating. I chose the historic tour on the advice of the ticket office ( I do not speak German) and it was one of the best 90 minutes I have spent! I was fortunate that my guide was still being trained and was able to speak good English. I got the impression that this was not the case with some if the older staff

1  Thank gauntlettandhill