“Wonderful stay!”
Review of Hotel Theophano

Hotel Theophano
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Quedlinburg
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. It was recommended by a friend from the Netherlands, and we are so thankful he did!! This was our first stay in a smaller town, and it was great. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms were great, breakfast was plentiful and tasty, and the staff is incredibly kind and helpful! The location is perfect, right in the market square. I would love to go back and stay there again. You cannot go wrong with this choice of hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alison625

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I was a bit leery when my husband chose this hotel because I have stayed in old buildings before -- these date from the late 17th century, but there were no pigeons overhead or rats in the wall. The building is in excellent condition, very solid, and no noise problems. Every room is decorated differently. We loved our large room overlooking the market place (#20) with a huge rug in the middle, a large wooden armoire, a long wrought iron luggage rack, and lots of space. The bathroom was very modern and spanking clean, large soft towels.

I couldn't see that the hotel was ranked, but it felt like a 4-star to me in terms of quality of linens, furnishing of rooms, up-to-date bathroom, provision of hair dryer and tissues. But there's no lift in this historic building, and there are no little packets of amenities. So bring your own washcloth, shampoo, and shower cap. There's no mini-bar or coffee maker and no room service, but the cafe on the ground floor is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Breakfast is a buffet with fewer choices than larger hotels, but there's a bit of everything. And the fruit salad is so fresh that they can include apples and bananas and they weren't brown! Boiled eggs, also very meats, etc. Very satisfactory.

Lunch in the cafe was excellent. So good that we ate there all 3 lunches. I especially liked the salad with turkey strips that have been sauteed with some soy sauce. My husband loved the cakes, and there's a large selection. Soup also good.

Don't miss the hotel's restaurant which is located about 5 minutes away in the Kornmarkt. I had trouble finding it because, though there are maps to it, the only sign is flat against the wall. Another couple got to the entrance of the building and couldn't figure out how to get in. Walk through the courtyard, through the glass doors, and you will see the restaurant's entrance.

The dinner we had was so delicious that we went back a second night. The Wiener Schnitzel we had was great.

My only caveat is a warning for people who have trouble with stairs of any kind. An entry to the cafe is from the market place and so flat. But there are 8 steps up to Reception from the front door, and there were an additional 47 steps up to our room. The first flight of stairs is normal, but the second two had such narrow treads that these were widened and made an overhang over the tread below. So you could walk upstairs normally, but you had to go down rather crab fashion. There were also single steps in the middle of the hallways, so you had to be careful even on what you would expect to be flat surfaces. There was even a step in the middle of our room. The hotel was made by combining more than one building so it's a maze of rooms and different levels. The staff will help with luggage, but you're on your own after that.

This was my favorite stop on our tour of the eastern part of Germany. This small historic city and this hotel are not to be missed!

Room Tip: Each room is different. Some are up under the roof -- the largest room is 47 steps up from the lobby...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank susanmccallum
Reviewed 8 August 2011

On our return trip to Norway (from France) we decided for at detour to the remote village of Quedlinburg in the old East Germany. Quedlingburg is a story of it's own being on the Unesco list. Theophano fits into this, old wooden hotel, excellent welcoming, friendly and helpful staff, lovely and "romantic" room with private balcony and a large bathroom. So quiet and peaceful. If you should be in the region, go for the Theophano!! Best value for money!
Try their restaurant as well. A gem.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank GiroNorway
Reviewed 4 June 2011

This hotel is in a beautifully restored merchant's house in this lovely town. Our spotlessly clean room was spacious, furnished with exquisite taste, and had a lovely view of the market square ( which was quiet at night ). The buffet breakfast was superb, and dinner at the hotel's vaulted restaurant nearby was a most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank sv007
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I enjoyed four nights at this historic burger house. Tasteful rooms all different in style and decor. I was fortunate enough to be given a room with stunning views of the Marktplatz.
Staff are very friendly and helpful.. nothing is too much trouble. I was given tips on events and went to a beautiful concert in a Middle age church.. just a few locals and the vicar. Very moving.
Wi-Fi reception in some rooms is better than others. However, the hotel provides an Internet corner with pc.
Breakfast is served in the hotel cafe. Delicious cold meats, cheeses, diff kinds of wurst, smoked salmon.. warm croissants, fresh fruit salad, tasty cappucinos.
The hotel may not be suitable for folks with mobility problems as it has no lift. However, I did see a few old ladies staying. They help you with your luggage if needed.
Cafe is very popular. Tables outside are always full... only thing I missed is draught beer. There is only bottled. ... tasty no less. There are so many other bars and caffes in the same Marketplatz and in different parts of the old town.. and I enjoyed trying them out in the evenings.
Views from the upper rooms are to die for. I enjoyed this place so much that I stayed an extra night.
100% recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
7  Thank Eelbrookrest
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Hotel Theophano was the perfect experience for this fairy tale town. The hotel is a wonderful mix of modern decor and old world charm. The beds are some of the most comfortable we've slept in in Germany. The staff truly aims to please: very friendly and goes the extra mile to ensure you are truly satisfied! Although the restaurant is not directly in the hotel, it's only a short walk away and the food was really wonderful, with the same superb service as the hotel. The dinners were some of the best menus we've tasted in Europe!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mirbur
Reviewed 17 April 2009

As a Steam Train fan, I went to Quedlinburg to ride the Harz Mountain narrow gauge network and ended up falling in love with the Town & especially this hotel. Sure it has no lift but I can think of no other drawback.
The rooms are clean & comfortable, the cellar restaurant has some of the best food I ate all trip (9 weeks of it) and the half board option is a bargain. But the staff were incredible. The receptionist arranged for her husband to give me a guided walking tour of the town on my 1st night, I was driven to the station on checkout (no charge) & was treated like a visiting favourite uncle rather than as a paying guest.
The location is superb; right on the Market Platz, which is a special spot to eat breakfast, or just have a coffee.
Do yourself a favour and go there.
Think Rothenburg but without the tourists.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo