“The best view, location and great staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oberstdorf
Naturhotel Waldesruhe
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Oberstdorf
Ireland
“The best view, location and great staff”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am just returned from a 5 night stay at the Naturhotel Waldesruhe. It's a lovely hotel, very reasonably priced, on the side of the valley overlooking beautiful Oberstdorf and the breath taking mountains behind it. The staff are about the friendliest I have ever encountered, and went out of their way to be helpful from the moment I arrived. I felt really at home there, which is even more important when traveling alone as I was. I had a single comfort room, which is I understand as all rooms are there, decorated and ordered along the principles of Feng Shui. I know little of such things, but I can tell you the room was bright, airy and pristine in cleanliness. It had a decent sized bed (a double really) and was very comfortable. There was also a balcony and from that I had a view of the mountains, but also the wood directly opposite. Relaxing there in the late afternoon after a mountain hike I drifted off to sleep listening to a chorus of small bird song. There is no extraneous noise, no cars, no hustle, just the sounds of nature. Cares simply drift away at this hotel! The hotel is in harmony with its surroundings, and the ethos of the establishment seems to be based around this, in fact they run holistic type courses on Reiki and such, but it is entirely at your discretion to become involved with this aspect or not. In my case, I was content to use the hotel as a base for hiking, and exploring the region and for this it is perfect. Nevertheless, even if you do not become directly involved, you still benefit from a feeling of well-being and calmness at this hotel which seems to be part of its fabric. I also loved the sense of humor there, such as chocolate ladybirds, and a frog Buddha. There are many fine walks, and of these the best was the one suggested by one of the staff. I was informed of a truly beautiful hike directly from the door which takes you to a mountain-top restaurant, the Berghaus am Soller on the Sollereck. Again at their suggestion I sampled some of the traditional Allgau cuisine which was as I was told exceptional. Oberstdorf as a destination is really something very special. The beauty of the region, particularly its mountains is hard to describe, it is so outstanding. And what makes it really special is how accessible those mountains are to us as visitors. There are a great number of excellently well laid out and mapped hiking and also biking routes, that lead to the tops and around the various peaks including the Felhorn and Nebelhorn, but in addition, they can also be reached by an extensive number of cable cars. So if you wish, you can take a cable car to the peaks and hike from there, or as I did on one occasion hike to the peak, hike around them then take the cable car back. Not only this,but the hotel supplies you with a card that allows you to travel those cable cars, park in the town, access various attractions all for free! Oberstdorf caters for all outdoor pursuits, and I bought a pair of hiking poles there. I had planned to do some reading and hiking, but such was the beauty of the place and its accessibility, that I read hardly at all, and hiked from the day I arrived to the day I left. I stopped on several occasions to try and drink in the views of wooden huts in vivid green fields with wild flowers and occasional cows with beige hides and brown noses whose bells clanked as they wandered, against a back drop of mountain peaks, some still snow covered even in June. Breakfast at the hotel is very generous and tasty, with a great selection of local cheeses (which changed from day to day), meats, breads, fresh fruit, yoghurts of different kinds, several juices and very importantly good coffee. Eggs are prepared as you like too. I ate at the hotel restaurant on two evenings and found the food quality to be of an excellent standard. The swimming pool and sauna facilities are ample sized, and a good place to relieve the tiredness from walking. A walk into Oberstdorf which I did on my remaining evenings took only about 25 mins, and was very pleasant, in fact it's part of a walking route but on tarmac, so no special foot-ware is needed. The fact that the hotel is so close, yet slightly removed from the main town is very appealing if you like the outdoors as much as I do. So, all in all, Oberstdorf is a truly fantastic destination if you are a hiker, mountain biker, or simply want to sample the mountain air, enjoy the views and relax. And when I return and I will, I will be stay at the excellent Naturhotel. Thanks to all the staff there for their genuine kindness and good humour, which made my experience such a special one. It is almost so good, I feel like I should have kept this one to myself!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DndG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at Naturhotel Waldesruhe, very clean hotel / rooms. Staff friendly and helpful, food good. Good location with a nice view over Oberstdorf (room with balcony). Very comfortable beds. Great value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony overlooking Oberstdorf are great.