“Not what we were expecting”

German Clocks & Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

After a fabulous day at Mt Donna Buang the kids were hungry. Stopped here, found a cold unwelcoming and odd atmosphere, wanted to turn around and leave but couldn't as only one other table with people on it (it was lunch time?!) should have trusted our instinct but decided to stay, what we got was ordinary, overpriced and a second away from being stale, cake and bad coffee. The lady serving was lovely - a shame she has to work for such an awful, rude, illinformed boss. Wanted to buy a cuckoo clock but after a blast from owner regarding our 10 year girl touching a toy in the shop we decided not to to buy a clock! Shame we really wanted one too! Not recommended on price, food and atmosphere. Very strange place almost creepy!

5  Thank Rabater

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Went with German(Black Forest) parents to have lunch on a Sunday afternoon. What we found was a strange little setup ( very 80's looking ) with a Cuckoo Clock shop attached. We all ordered the Kransky and for the price -$17.90- we were not disappointed. It came on a huge plate, the Biggest Kransky In The Universe. With a healthy side serving of Saurkraut and potatoes.
I managed the Kransky and only just the Saurkraut ( my dad challenged me to a competition of sorts ). The staff seemed okay, if not a tad disgruntled. After stuffing ourselves we visited the shop. Not much variety and the shelves seemed bare. The lady told us in German that she was let off that day and that the owners do not want the cafe/resturant part. Are they nuts? This is Australia, there are only so many Germans buying clocks and stuff and only so many bogans buying it as a gimmick. If the cafe goes, the reason to visit for us will be gone. It is nice quiet resturant with a modest selection of cakes and very good food. PLEASE KEEP THE FOOD COMING!

3  Thank Daylan78
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stopped in for a quick coffee and snack mid afternoon. The waitress suggested the waffles and I was looking forward to them. When they arrived they were swimming in maple syrup, which had already made the bottom waffle soggy. The waffles were also not very thick and the icecream on the side was hard and I've had better No-name brand icecream. They should visit Miss Marples Tea House in Sassafras- their waffles are to die for!
On the positive side the waitress was friendly and there wasn't a long wait. I did suggest to them that they put the syrup in a jug on the side- hope they listen.

2  Thank jennyw23
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I went for lunch at the German Clocks & Cafe and expected a warm and friendly atmosphere as in Germany with flower boxes at the verandah ,table cloth perhaps some flower (even artificial once) at the table . But what we found was one very small flowerbox at the front ,I think just to show how it could look like and inside tiled floor with sandstone walls at the serving desk and a very bad picture copy of Michael Angelo's Monalisa at the wall. We found it a very cold and unfriendly atmosphere. The picture off cause was completely out of place what supposed to be a German restaurant.
The young waitress did take our order ,I have to say she made the best of the situation and was very helpful friendly. At the request to exchange 'Spatzle' with potatoes was not possible, according to the owners kitchen rules, which should be easy to do because other dishes have potatoes but there was no way, very inflexible.-
Until we did get our food served by the owner ,I am sure she does not know how to smile The food itself was far away the way German food should taste where I had the feeling the chef never has been in Germany to find out how it should taste. There was enough food at the plate I just feel sorry for all those people which think that German food tastes like that.
We are original from Germany and on many visits back to Germany for holidays and our own cooking at home know how restaurants 'over there ' look and there food tastes very well.
If there are no quick changes to this restaurant I would predict a closure is soon ahead because of a lack of customers.
The restaurant was advertised at a German radio station to get customers but what I have heard from those people they all went there only once and never again for the same reason we discovered. What a shame, it is in a beautiful location close to Warburton but people just don't go there to fill there stomach up in a advertised 'German food restaurant' and find that it is far from it.

5  Thank Hans B
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My in-laws are German and they love this Cafe - the food is delicious, hearty and good value as are the beers and cakes. The owners and staff are also lovely to deal with. Highly recommended.

2  Thank JM13737