“This is what hotels should be like”

Romantik Hotel Reichshof
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Norden
Nottingham, England
“This is what hotels should be like”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had a great stay at the Hotel Reichshof - I only booked one night since we were passing through, but I sincerely wish we could have stayed for longer. Staff in all areas of service are really friendly and efficient and you get the impression that nothing is too much for them.The hotel has a very lovely spa area - much bigger than many 'professional' spas in the UK and absolutely free to use. The decor of the hotel is very traditional, which works in all the main areas. I only booked the most basic room since we were not going to be there for long and it was spacious and very clean with a good bathroom. Although the heavy brown furniture in the room is not necessarily to my taste, I was very impressed that water and juices from the minibar were free of charge. It was a hot day and it was very much appreciated. Robes, slippers and toiletries are provided even in the most basic rooms, as is an umbrella should you want to go for a walk. All those little details make this hotel a fantastic place to stay. Breakfast was very good - do try the East Frisian raisin bread. We also ate in the restaurant in the evening- we only wanted a small dish but what we got was a very substantial portion of delicious food and excellent wine at a very reasonalble price. Next time I will definitely try to have a full dinner. This hotel is to be highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Northernlassie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My family reunion was in Norden during Christi Himmelfahrt and because I do not live in the hometown of my grandparents I had the opportunity to see a hotel which really is special. The stay was only for one night and we arrived too late to really enjoy everything the Reichshof has to offer:

Location: The Reichshof is excellently located in the very centre of Norden, fronting onto a pedestrian zone and accessed (by car) via the cobbled back-lane with a car park opposite the hotel's lane's entrance.

The Hotel: It is a range of exquisite warehouses (I believe from my uncle- the corn stores for the harbour) which have been converted to be hotel rooms, restaurant, apartments and pool with sauna. The lane between the buildings leads to a lovely "Wellness" garden with sun loungers and options to sit outside during the more clement days of your stay.

The accommodation: a friend booked this last minute for us and so we got the only room going- an apartment which was sold to us as a family room.

We, however, had our own Scandinavian wooden staircase to the living-room which featured magazines, a free (non-alcoholic) drinks bar with reasonably priced high-end "nibbles" (yummy!), a decent television, a sofa which doubles as another double bed, a Scandinavian wardrobe, exquisite views over the Wellness garden/courtyard toward the pool and sauna (warehouse) building.

This, in turn, led to another hallway with lovely cozy child's bedroom off, modern family shower-room with lovely courtesy toiletries and rubber duck sitting in the shower tray surrounded by a fan-folded bathmat and a real orchid plant (little things like this actually matter a lot) and which ended at-

The master bedroom with Scandinavian furniture, another orchid on the coffee table, a massive double bed with two mattresses and the white towelling robes, slippers etc to prompt a visit to the hotel's leisure faciilties.

Overall the accommodation was exceptional- everything of the highest standard as well as attractive. Quiet, though backing onto the cobbled back-lane.

The Restaurant: Having not eaten at lunch and having arrived late we were pleased to note that the restaurant was open comfortably late. The service was attentive and professional and the food was very good indeed. Typical for a hotel restaurant in every way except price. It was remarkably cheap for what we had and there was no need to feel that we'd have been better off going out to eat. As it was family joined us at nearly 11pm for coffee and the service couldn't have been better.

Breakfast: Very good by German standards (I live in Scotland, frequent good class B&Bs and am used to very good breakfasts so have a standard which German breakfasts cannot beat) and served in the breakfast room in the main building.

I WISH we could have stayed on, but there you are. It was a lucky chance to have happened on this hotel and I will be back, this time with time to spare and with plans to use the facilities in Summer!

Room Tip: Tip: Try your luck at a last minute booking- you can get some excellent discounts on the day! An...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Annasach
London
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I recently went to the Romantik Hotel in Norden and have spent 2 nights to expore the region.
It certainly is a beautiful and cosy hotel, excellently located within the town center and relatively easy to find even if you are not familiar with the region.
Upon arrivial there was a very friendly and helpful receptionist who guided us to our room and made us feel very welcome.
We went to have dinner in the restaurant. The food was cooked nearly to perfection (went there on the second night too, merely because we could not imagine another place delivering a similiar quality!) and here, too, the staff were super friendly. Everything took rather long but to give them credit the place was quite packed and the supervisor came to see us and apologised.
The breakfast is a treat, choices of bread, cheese and meat are fantastic. Whenever you go there make sure you have enought time to taste everything.
Generelly I have to point out the overall friendlyness of the staff who are without expection very polite and nice.

We sleept in an adjacent building, the room was very big and the bathroom massive, however there was a road just outside my window which is busy in terms of the location, so if you have a light sleep don't go there.

Slight downturn of the stay was that I had asked for a non-smoking room but after the room odeur product had worn off you smelled clearly that at least once it had been a smoking room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FabulousJo
Den Haag, NL
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Amazingly cozy and beautiful hotel, all details are simply perfect, the spa is recently remade and fantatsic! rooms are spacy and have very comfy beds...Restaurant food is good, but nothing special, same for breakfast....staying at the hotel makes your stay in Norden like a fairy-tale event! Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed at this nice hotel for 7d6n! it was a very nice experience! we did a half board stay.. food and servers were excellent! I especially loved their Spa services on the building next to the hotel. Truly relaxing and a nice treat from my partner for my birthday! It was also an unforgettable experience to go for the Scandanavian dinner buffet. It was my first time to eat some reindeer meat! I would just need to be careful in deleting this part to my nephew. Otherwise, he would have thought I have eaten Santa Claus' ride!
The hotel is located right in central part of their city. Shops abound on every corner! Loved it! Would stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norden
Hotel Faehrhaus
#4 of 9 in Norddeich
Apart Hotel Norden
Apart Hotel Norden
#19 of 28 in Norden

Been to Romantik Hotel Reichshof? Share your experiences!