“A fine line between quirky and weird, cost conscious and cheap”
Review of Hotel Attache

Hotel Attache
Ranked #1 of 4 Raunheim B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 May 2013

There’s a fine line between quirky and weird and between cost-conscious and cheap and this hotel is in danger of crossing the line on both counts.

I always praise hotels which supply free bottled water and a previous review was encouraging on that front but I regret to say there was none in our room and only one Becks – and only one cup for making tea/coffee. Talking of coffee, the machine outside the room did not work anyway.

I don’t mind shampoo and shower gel being dispensed from a larger bottle but just a half-used bottle of shampoo in the bathroom and near empty mini foam bath from ‘The White Palace’ possibly left over by a previous occupant seemed just a bit cheap. Why not decant the shampoo into smaller bottles which can be left in the rooms? And no soap? Fortunately we had some with us so that was fine but there was only some liquid hand wash (again in a cheap branded container) on the washbasin, no bar of soap for the shower. One of the hand towels was folded but dirty. However the old-fashioned -but dimly lit - bathroom was clean. The window was open when we arrived but the next morning, the room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Not sure whether they offer non smoking rooms but if they do, it would be useful to be given the choice when booking.

This said, we found the Orthodox chapel rather sweet and the cemetery did not bother us. The patio area is lovely too, nice to be able to sit down and relax under the coer. The free Wifi worked on our laptops and iPhone, not on the iPad. It was quiet at night although the walls are paper thin and we could hear our neighbours talk and shower (and they could hear us too).

I’m not quite sure why we had to pay for our room in full on arrival before we’d even seen the room, the receptionist muttered something about it being too busy in the morning with other guests checking out and breakfast etc.

Sadly, breakfast was disappointing – OK if you like savouries (mozzarella, prawns, tomatoes, salami….) but just OK cereals, cheap yoghurt, pale bread rolls baked from frozen and almost inedible jam in single serving packs. My husband was not happy about the general cleanliness of the breakfast room, which is very cluttered, pointing out at the plastic doilies on the tables, which could have done with a good wipeover.

Altogether, 75€ inc breakfast for two is a bit steep for this old fashioned hotel, which needs a bit more TLC to make travellers feel a bit more comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Overnighted here on my way back to the US. Hotel was Euro 30 from the airport via cab. You can come by train, I was too tiered to try. Nice comfortable rooms, clean, not worn. Complementary two bottles of Becks in the room along with a large bottle of water. Breakfast standard for German hotel … cereal, boiled eggs, cold meats, cheese, bread, coffee, juice etc.

Hotel is on the grounds of a Russian Orthodox Church (church and cemetery attached) and the décor matches. I found it interesting and wished I had more time to look around.

What stuck out most was the friendly staff. I got in late (after restaurant closed) they asked if I need them to find some dinner for me. My feeling was that they really want their guests to enjoy their stay. I did.

Room Tip: I didn't see if there was a lift ... so if you have big bags you might ask for the ground floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank edfrombrier
Reviewed 9 December 2012

In September 2011, had an early flight from Frankfurt International Airport and found Hotel Attache online. The hotel was fine and certainly more affordable than staying at one of the hotels at the airport. The room was clean and well equipped and the staff was very friendly and nice. I paid the additional charge for the breakfast and it was really good. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Raunheim train station and the S-Bahn takes only 8 minutes to get to the Airport.

While the town of Raunheim is nothing to write home about, if you have an early flight from FRA, Hotel Attache is a good place to stay. I would stay there again in the future if I have an early flight to catch at Frankfurt International Airport.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank KurtSchroeder
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The hotel is an 8 minute brisk walk from the railway station, directions, they involve one right turn at a set of traffic lights, not too difficult for most people. A friendly welcome at reception and you sre shown to your room. Neat little tags allow you to gain entry.

The room is spotlessly clean, well cared for and homely. With a microwave, fridge, kettle and trouser press the single room had lost of space and also a good sized bathroom in which everything worked well.

Breakfast was good value for the price paid with lots of variety. Best of all was the garden area with some lovely greenery around a number of seating areas. If you can't relax here there's no hope for you. Ten out of ten for value for money.

Lots of good restaurants within easy walking distance and lots to see and do whichever way you decide to travel on the train. Mainz and Weisbaden in one direction and Frankfurt in the other. Also very convenient for airport, two stops on train.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank RobLaight
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed with my family for the weekend in the hotel. It is situated only 15 minutes from the airport and about 30 min to the Frankfurt city center. Very cosy and clean rooms. Overall nice atmosphere and very polite service. Can really advice anyone who stays in Frankfurt for several days.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank maria s
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Title is harsh but warranted...and I am no green horn of hotels...my job means I stay in plenty of not very envious places through China....have lived and stayed in hotels in India...even traveled through north Korea - this place however is the winner....

Where do I start....I usually start with the good stuff......

- Leaving the place....

Now the stuff they are just doing dead wrong.....

- The place is a like a quasi Russian Orthodox church....religious icons adorn the rooms...scary and unnerving...I had to hide them just so I could relax....

- Bed was broken!! I thought I broke it when I lied down...had a look under the mattress - the slat was already clean broken and taped together......just poor form....

- Difficult to find even from the railway station....10 minutes provided you have in built GPS....took at least half an hour of trekking around and no one knows the place...probably with good reason

- Wait for it.....the place adjoins a cemetery !! We are not talking about within viewing distance we are talking about you look at the window and you are faced with tombstones...I am not kidding....the other side is a training paddock for horses...

- This place is a joke....it was the only place left before a flight back from a great Europe trip - this place is terrible...stay elsewhere....

Room Tip: ...tip for a good room...one in another hotel....
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel L
hotelattache, Inhaber at Hotel Attache, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Daniel

Thank you for your recent comment on your stay in October 2010 during the Frankfurt Book Fair.

I apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the bed - we changed the bed to a new one right after your stay. You can be assured that this is not the usual standard at our hotel.

I would be grateful getting the opportunity to personally apologize to you over the phone as I still feel there is a need of expressing my personal interest in your satisfaction

Please let me know by email your telephone number and the appropriate time to call you.

Regarding your disappointment with the spirituality of our property we learnt from your review that we have to better communicate the fact that there is an orthodox church at the hotel territory.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we learnt a lot from it and we appreciate your opinion.

Sincerely yours,

Grigori Rang

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Friendly, family run hotel about 10 minutes walk from the Raunheim railway station. We picked this hotel because the hotels in Frankfurt were super expensive due to a convention.
Clean, cozy room. Friendly and helpful staff.
The matresses are in need of replacement as you can feel the springs.
Electronic door was unable to open at times.
All in all good value for the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family