Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg
Winzerhaus Gartner(Sankt Goar)
  • Room Service
Hotel am Markt(Bacharach)
View Hotel
All reviewscourse dinnerfairy talerhine riverwooden bridgeyour luggageauf schoenburgunique experiencewine tournooks and cranniessmall balconyonce in a lifetimemodern amenitiesdecanter of sherryhotel experiencefour poster bedhighlight of our tripgolf cart
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was our first stop in Germany and was a great way to start our trip. The wooden bridge to the parking lot was a neat photo opportunity. We were greeted by professional and friendly staff upon arrival and directed to a room high up in the tower with a small patio. The room itself was well appointed and quite clean, which seemed especially remarkable given the age of the building and our immediate surroundings. There are unusual touches in pretty much every room in the form of hidden doors, unusual artifacts, etc. The breakfast was fine, but really nothing special. What made the hotel stand apart was the ability to explore the castle grounds. We toured the small museum, wandered around the lobby area climbed around the courtyard and tower, and watched all of the boat traffic on the Rhine, imagining what it must have been like in its glory days several-hundred years ago. Our son viewed the whole castle/hotel grounds almost as a giant medieval playground.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kazkey
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Located in the beautiful Rhine valley, this medieval castle that was converted into a hotel maintains some of the medieval roughness which is what I loved about this hotel. It wasn't overly cheesy. Our room was cozy and offered picturesque views. The staff was very helpful, spoke English and the dinner was simply wonderful. I hope to return to this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A D
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was a little nervous crossing over the wooden bridge with a car. Then you have to walk up the pathway to get to the hotel. But once inside you forget all that. Our room faced the Rhine and it was Awsome. We had dinner and breakfast there. Both were great. Even had a fire going in one room with cokies and treats. You could seat and read a book or talk to other guests. This is the place i will never forget.

Room Tip: Ask for the river side
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cody2012
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Well, most has already been said. This hotel offers a unique experience. Mostly good, but not perfect. The hotel is a made up of various rooms and suites throughout the restored sections of the castle. The room we had was quite simply the largest most extravagantly appointed hotel room I have ever stayed in. It consisted of a huge bedroom, a reading room, bathroom, toilet room, walk in closet, and two balconies. Simply quite amazing and more appropriate for a week's stay than an overnighter. That said, it could use with a tad more attention to cleaning as there were large cobwebs in the window alcoves. A minor detraction but for the price paid something that should not occur.

There is a tiny elevator available but getting to the rooms requires a lot of lifting and carrying of luggage which is a consideration if one is not physically on top of their game. The rooms can also be a bit hard to find, with mine requiring going through two common rooms, an elevator ride, and three hallways to reach.

As mentioned before parking is below the hotel, and you need to have their employee truck your baggage up to the hotel itself. I was a bit surprised that our bags were dumped in front of the hotel entrance with no offer to carry them up to the room. A tip was obviously expected, but we were left to our own to muscle the bags through the tight corridors and common rooms to get to where we were staying.

Now my main complaint. Dinner is included with the room, and you must accept the menu proffered. My best description of the food served would be "cruise ship".. It was good quality, but entirely "safe" for the foreign tourists that frequent the hotel. It was NOT German in any way that I could discern, but rather bland "continental". Nothing was particularly tasty, and nothing could be described as being overly innovative nor obviously seasoned. I was surprised to be served tiny bay shrimp and AVACADO in a mayonnaise over red cabbage in the Rhineland? Really, avacado? The main course was some bland veal medallions and green asparagus with a cream sauce on the side. VERY bland. It seemed that the other guests were quite happy, but I had expected something more along the line of their German menu that they serve to walk in restaurant customers. The restaurant menu seemed very interesting. Their hotel guest menu, not so much. Breakfast was entirely typical and boring.

I would give this hotel 4 stars only because of the rooms, but due to the disappointing food service, and difficulty in moving baggage about, I have settled on 3. Once is enough for me. Some of those I talked with had stayed here dozens of times. I guess for those not quite willing to go "native" this might fill the bill nicely. My taste runs more towards experiencing the local, so I cant imagine visiting here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anrando
schoenburg, Manager at Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Mr. Anrando,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel. We appreciate that you tooked the time to relay, concernung, your stay with us.

We strive to present a perfect experence for our guests and there for we apologise that yours was not.

It is not typical that our guests deliver there baggage to ther rooms be themselves. This was an oversight and we are sorry you were not properly taken care of. We also agree that the above mentioned cobwebs should not been part of your experince with us and we have addressed your complaint with our housekeeping staff.

Concerning our kitchen and menu offerings. It is unfortunite that you had the impression that you were unable to make changes to our included menu. We cater our kitchen for many tastes, preferences and dietary concerns both foreign and domestic. We are always more then happy to make any changes or substitutions concerning our menu of the day.

Best regards

Hermann Hüttl

Reviewed 14 November 2013

First, let's get the two grumbles out of the way. It is very expensive, so you expect perfection.

We arrived by car and parked in the hotel's car park. Having read the Tripadvisor reviews, I knew there was a steep climb to the hotel. However, there was no warning about it on the hotel's web site, nor in their email correspondence with me, and no information on what to do with luggage. There was also no information at the car park. As some reviewers had played down the difficulty of the access, we dragged our bags (with some difficulty - we are aged 71 and 69) up the long and very steep hill to the hotel entrance. There we were told that we should have left the bags in the car and asked them to go and get them. A little late! And we did not appreciate the rather facetious remark that we "had earned our dinner"! May I suggest that the hotel includes a warning about the steep access, and details of their luggage service, on their web site? A notice about it at the car park would also be useful (even better would be a telephone or intercom to contact Reception).

Our room had a view of the Rhine, and we were warned that there might be a noise problem from the trains. There is a railway line along each bank of the Rhine and freight trains run right through the night. The gorge seems to funnel the noise up to the hotel. Open the windows and you get the noise, close the windows and it gets stuffy (even in October - this must be a real problem in the summer). The hotel thoughtfully provides ear plugs (!), but not everyone can tolerate these (and there is a risk of missing your morning call or alarm clock). (The answer, of course, would be air conditioning, but I accept that this might be difficult in a medieval castle.)

Having got the negatives off my chest, this hotel really is fantastic. It is family-run (always a good sign) and the owners clearly take a real pride in their operation. The garden is a delight and should not be missed. Our room (Room 12) had a view of the Rhine and the bathroom had a balcony that overlooked the interior of the castle. The service and facilities were first-class and cannot be faulted. We stayed for four nights and ate in the hotel's restaurant each evening - as the restaurant is open to (and used by) non-residents, I am posting a separate review of it. Suffice to say here that it is excellent.

As I said at the beginning of this review, the hotel is very expensive. However, the running and maintenance costs must be very high. Is it worth paying a premium for staying in a medieval, castle? Definitely. Is it worth paying nearly twice as much as you would in a similar-standard hotel elsewhere? Marginal - hence the slight downgrade in my value-for-money rating. Would I go back? Definitely!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Rhine suffer from train noise
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple