“Immaculate hotel”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Hinterzarten
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Immaculate hotel”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We only stayed one night which was actually fortunate for us as the weather was just dreadful (torrential and persistent rain and very very cold).

This is possibly the best kept and cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. It was plush and luxurious but in a unique and 'homey' way rather than the generic big hotel-chain way. The staff were all lovely and went out of their way to be helpful, and took the time to chat if you are that way inclined.

We had booked B&B but were given the option of upgrading to halfboard to include a 5 course dinner for 11Euro p/p! ELEVEN!! The food was perhaps slightly strange/unusual for my taste (I remember the starter was sausage meat with 'chinese' flavours deep fried in filo pastry, served with guacamole and indiany-style tomato relish, and one of the main courses was tuna served with cous-cous, and the cous-cous was again wrapped in filo pastry/wonton wrappers and deep fried). There was a big salad bar, a lovely selection of local cheeses. Despite the strange combinations, it was a very good meal.

Breakfast was excellent with a very large selection. We were assigned a table at dinner the first night and you have to keep the same table for the duration of your stay which I have never seen in a hotel before. It seemed to prompt conversation between tables though, which was quite nice. We had the feeling that the other guests all might have been regular because all activity seemed to stop as we entered (and it is very quiet in there) and everyone seemed to watch our progress across the restaurant. The owner came to each table during dinner to say hello, and knew each of her guests individually (including us).

Our room was a large 'L' shaped room so felt like a suite. The bathroom was very high end and looked either brand new or amazingly well maintained. We had a big balcony with comfy looking chairs that we probably would have used if it hadn't been such awful weather.

There are two car-parks available immediately next to and opposite the hotel.

All in all a great stay in a beautiful hotel, even if we were the youngest people there by about 30 years! We look forward to going back there in the hopes of having weather that means we can actually see out of the windows...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BornToSleep

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Luxembourg
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Just got back after a 5 day stay at the Thomahof directed by Rita Thoma and her son Jürgen.
I could say "same procdure as the past 4 years wheren I spent one of the most relaxing holidays of the year in Black Forest. I will return there for sure as I just like the location as well as the Hotel.

The Hotel is just perfect for a relaxing Holiday with excellent cuisine. I travelled with my wife an had booked half board. Breakfast is fantastic an dinner - 5 courses - is served in a cosy restaurant which suits everyone expectations. You just can choose your dinner from a proposal at breakfast tinme an you are served in en extreme professional way in less than an hour if you want. The food an the wine selections just fitted our means an for sure I will return to this extreme good lead hotel.

The wellness area has a quite well sized pool to swim an several saunas which are not all reserved to nudism. So be careful to bring swimwear in order to avoid shocking elder ladies
The Hotel itself is very quiet and just perfect for a short take off .
A slight repair on a tap in the bathroom was made shortly after my demand. The staff was very kind an helped us to get rid of the 80 cm of snow on the car
Only blackspot - which turned out to be a positive one - is the non-working Wifi Internet connection in the room. This forced me to check out my mails in the bar next to the reception, have a cup of coffee in the same time . Positive in the way that I was kept away from my professional mails at daytime an did not have to worry about the job.

To the owners : Keep on in the same direction.

I will certainly return to your excellent house - for sure.

Room Tip: I don't wan't to get a tip in order to prevent somebody else from booking one of my favourit...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jake_Worf
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Love, love, love this hotel! The town is a picture perfect postcard. If you want to escape the chaos of this ever shrinking world, come here to find peace, relaxation and endless trails for hiking and biking. Hotel Thomahof is family-owned and operated (mother and son). They have a very friendly, well-trained staff and a beautiful, organized facility (rooms, spa, restaurant, bar) with much attention paid to detail. I felt at home and cared-for by everyone...owners, wait and reception staffs and even the maids. We left money for the maid each day...she wouldn't touch it unless we were there and told her it was for her.

I travelled with my 81-year-old mother and old family friends who go to Hotel Thomahof twice a year...I can certainly understand why. I hope to go back with my husband and another couple so that we can really explore the area.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel five stars is because they don't take credit cards...well, they will, but they charge you 1-2% of the total bill.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KCKlein
Attard, Malta
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed at the hotel in August 2012 with my wife for the honeymoon.

The village, the people, the atmosphere are all amazingly nice.
Hotel Thomahof is the ideal place to go if you want a real relaxation and to experience the black forest way of life.
Also if you want a romantic background this hotel is a must.
But that's not all; the food,and all the staff are fantastic!
The only drawback was that there was no air conditioning.
Overall I rate this hotel very highly, well done :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ramsej84
Sydney
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Staying in this hotel is like staying in an age where noise and cars and railways and aeroplanes did not exist yet. It is probably one of the best places to rest one's body and soul! Beautiful rooms, fantastic food, very pleasant staff and a wellness area which is simply grandiose!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SydneyPierrot
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Hinterzarten was a surprising gem of a place to be based in the region and the staff, food and surroundings of Hotel Thomahof were all excellent We had easy access to Titisee and Schluchsee but came home to a wonderfully relaxing hotel and village. I ended up liking Hinterzarten far better than either of the more touristy lake towns. We booked a spa package with half board and it was very relaxing. The pros--The food was excellent (we truly dined) and the service in the hotel and restaurant was very personal. The staff really went out of their way to make you feel at home. The hiking and biking trails were also very abundant, nice and just outside the hotel's door and had all levels. I enjoyed several beautiful hikes and jogs and had plenty of routes to choose from.

Cons--I would not recommend the massages unless you like a very soft touch. I got the impression that the women giving the massage mostly does facials. She was very nice and certainly very service-oriented but for anyone used to more muscle relaxing massages, don't get them here. The only other con is that it was advertised that all rooms had wifi and the room we were in didn't hold cell calls or internet so I had to go down to the lobby whenever I wanted to use my internet or call home. Not a big deal since I really only checked in once a day and had expressly gone there to relax and unplug.

i'd gladly go back and try this place again during cross-country season as the area is peaceful and gorgeous.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinterzarten
Parkhotel Adler
#2 of 10 in Lenzkirch
Brugger's Hotelpark am See
Brugger's Hotelpark am See
#5 of 20 in Titisee-Neustadt

Been to Hotel Thomahof? Share your experiences!