“Perfect destination Wedding Venue”
Review of Castaways Resort

Castaways Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Waiuku B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were married here in April 2014 and everything from start to finish was impeccable. The detailed help from the wedding planner to the accommodation office’s help with organizing guests and rooms was faultless. We had an amazing memorable day as all of the staff/service went above and beyond for us and the food was raved about by everyone. The views are amazing, and being married on the cliff tops over looking the ocean was a beautiful experience.

To be able to stay in the amazing accommodation before the wedding with the wedding party and then having the guests stay after the wedding was one of the highlights, as was to be able to have breakfast in the restaurant with all of the guests the following morning before everyone left to go home.

We also indulged in a little pampering before the wedding at the onsite spa in the AMAZING, massive outdoor Balinese stone baths that look out over the ocean. It was sheer bliss soaking in a deep bubble bath with the magnificent view in the outdoors!!.

I HIGHLY recommended this venue for a wedding (or a weekend away) as it has everything you need, a wedding planner, a spa for pampering, accommodation and a restaurant open 7 days for breakfast/lunch/dinner, and brilliant staff and service! :)

Thanks for making our day so Magic for us and such a memorable experience for both ourselves and our guests.

Mr & Mrs Sonne

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kylie H, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
Our team truly enjoyed providing you with a great experience for your special day recently.

We believe that every wedding couple is unique and although we have helped hundreds of wedding couples over the years now, for us it is a real privilege to be selected as your venue partner for such a memorable occasion and we are committed to ensuring every couples wedding experience is truly wonderful.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.
We wish you both a long and happy journey together and we hope to see you back at Castaways Resort for one of your anniversaries.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was lucky enough to spend a night at Castaways. What a delight, our Chalet perched on top of the cliff allowed fantastic views over the west coast, black sand beach. The Chalet was well equipped and very clean. I had three treatments at the Spa, where the Hot Stone Massage was exceptional - the therapist was very professional and attentive and the surroundings of the Spa provided a very relaxing ambience. We ate at the Restaurant, where the menu had something for everyones taste and the food did not disappoint.

I will be going to Castaways again and again - can't wait.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Kylie H, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hello Ann.
Thank you so much for your lovely review.
We are so glad you had such an enjoyable time at our little piece of paradise and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Be sure to have a look at our glam camping experience on our website - we're receiving amazing feedback from customers who have tried it out and it may be a heat experience to try next time you are with us.
Have a fab week and thanks again for your great review.
Cheers

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just come back from an amazing night away at castaways, chalets were wonderful, clean and spectacular views. The restaurant had a wonderful menu, and friendly staff. The spa, just wow, I was lucky to have three treatments, all were equally great. The therapists were very professional and were excellent at making me feel totally relaxed. Overall a perfect weekend, I didn't want to leave!! I will look forward to returning!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Kylie H, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello Claire.
Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
We are so pleased you had such a fabulous time with us. We have developed Castaways Resort so that there is a wide range of services available and having our gorgeous day spa onsite now is a lovely string to our bow and enables us to provide a true resort experience to our guests.
We look forward to hosting you again sometime soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The two bedroom chalets are very nice and comfortable and have absolutely breath taking views BUT the staff at the accommodation office are not at all welcoming and at times downright rude. Even when they were not being rude, never once a smile. When we settled up after spending 2 nights at a cost of $740 all they said was thanks and good bye. No "hope you enjoyed your stay", "how was everything". In fact they don't care how everything was, they know people will come here for the stunning location.

The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished but a few irritations - the cooking facilities and cooking utensils are very basic (they want you to eat in the onsite restaurant), they don't provide soap - only shower gel - which is not our thing. These things are not an issue at $140 a night but at $340 could be better.

On the plus side, they do provide unlimited Wi-Fi included in the price which was very welcome as there is no cell phone coverage out here.

Also on day 2 they knew we were there for a wedding at 3pm yet they came to service our room at 2pm while we were all getting dressed and ready for the wedding. Clueless.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Kylie H, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry the friendliness of our service wasn't at our usual standard. We have the pleasure of hosting many wonderful guests during our busy wedding season and we do like to provide a warm and welcoming level of service.
Following your feedback we have spoken with our team and reminded them of the impact they make to each and every one of our guests, so thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
I hope we have the pleasure of hosting you again sometime in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Booked a table for dinner with six or seven friends. The food was utterly superb, the service reasonable, the views (including the sunset and cows on the headland in profile), wonderful but the prices a little more than I would expect to pay.
Nevertheless a most pleasant experience. I commend it to anybody looking for atmospheric dining on a special occasion.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sudarg
Kylie H, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Many thanks for your review and for recommending our Agave Restaurant to other guests - we really appreciate it.

I hope we have the pleasure of hosting you again on the cliff tops at Castaways Resort sometime soon. Kind regards.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were looking for a quiet birthday treat for me,it certainly was as we had booked a package which gave us a studio overlooking the sea, 4 course dinner and wine and breakfast.
The studio was a lot beter equiped than I had hoped for,the soft furnishings and comfortable bed were lovely and we even had a little patio with chairs on. We were at the end of a block of studios but did not see or hear any other guests. We arrived early for afternoon tea before trying the stone bath near the spa(which was unfortunately closed) Most of the food was a very good standard except for the buffet style breakfast which is always a lottery. The staff seemed very young and perhaps could have been better trained although they were courteous. We would return again sometime.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kylie H, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Hi Theresa.
Thanks for posting a review for us and wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your escape to Castaways Resort. What a lovely birthday treat!
We look forward to hosting you again in the future at our little slice of paradise.
Cheers,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had been a regular both at their accommodation and restsurant and had been recommending so highly of this place, however, my most recent visit turned out to be an absolute disappointment and now I doubt I'd ever go back.

Had a lunch at their restaurant last week and the very next day I found an unexplained extra charge on my receipt - which later turned out to be a credit card fee. Although the amount was very small, I called them to ask for clarification since it was paid on my business credit card. To my surprise, the man on the phone called George told me to bring the receipt before him in order to prove the overcharging - and as anyone who has been there would know, it is 40min drive away from central Auckland, you would think he could have suggested something more reasonable such as emailing a photo or scanned copy. I could instantly see that he said it intentionally just to mock me knowing that I wouldn't. Then he hung up on me while I was talking - which I found extremely condescending and insulting, a substandard service that I never expected from a place where I'd been so loyal of. It was only when I called them back that his colleague explained to me that it was a credit card fee.

Only if he had explained to me in the first place what it was, I would have never had to be upset or disappointed and hence no review like this. Great location but let down by staff who lack in professionalism, customer focus and basic communication skills.

Stayed: February 2014