“Excellent business hotel, great prices, but not really an "airport hotel"”

Munich Airport Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Freising
Reviewed 18 July 2014

For business travel, I have found that true Marriott Hotels are always reliable, clean, and high quality compared to most of the other chains. This hotel meets all of the high Marriot standards, yet has a lower price compared to other hotels in downtown Munich.

The hotel is located in the charming old village of Freising, and there are some nearby sightseeing opportunities. The staff is excellent and helpful. Also, there is a convenience store in the lobby, which is nice because I hate having to search around for a nearby place to buy snacks & drinks when I am working on reports in my room.

My only complaint is that this hotel doesn't really have easy travel access to the airport. Yes, the hotel is only 6 miles from the airport, but those are a hard 6-miles through local roads. If you plan to travel by Taxi, expect to pay about 25-Euro and spend 20+ minutes (depending on traffic). If you use a rental car, leave 30 minutes early to account for traffic, wrong turns, looking for a gas station, getting lost, etc. GPS is recommended.

My one complaint is that you have to call for for the Marriott shuttle bus after you arrive at the Hotel bus stop... and my cell phone wasn't working. I waited for 1 hour for the shuttle to come before I realized that I had to call. Next, I went to the taxi stand to get a ride. It was ~6pm, still in rush hour. The first taxi driver declined to take me to the hotel (this created a big incident with the other cab drivers). After everything calmed down, the 2nd driver agreed to do it, but he made a cell phone during the trip and was complaining about it because of the traffic.

Bottom line is that this is a great hotel, but I don't think it has easy access to the airport.

Room Tip: I requested a King room. It had a refrigerator and a mini walk-in closet. So, I recommend the King r...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot and I'm not normally a fan of "chains" but the service is superb and incredibly friendly. Rooms spotless and can't wait to get to bed to experience the feather mattress topper that's on my bed!
Dinner was excellent, very friendly waiter who made an excellent wine choice for us.
Cannot recommend highly enough and will definitely be back

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We love the Marriott and travel a lot for business. However, we decided to stay for two nights for our anniversary for 170 a night. When we get unpacked and go to the restaurant for dinner we find out that the wellness center is not open. We would not have stayed if they would of told us the pool and spa and exercise room are closed due to fire. The staff are wonderful the rooms are nice. But does not come with all the services listed on their website
Mrs Gordon Compton

• Stayed: July 2014
Tanja M, Guest Relations Manager at Munich Airport Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and your recent stay. We do apologize the inconveniences caused by the currently closed wellness area. We are currently proceeding all necessary instructions to rebuilt this outlet. We hope we will get a second chance in the near future and we would be more than happy to welcome you back.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed couple of times for 1 night. Always had breakfast included. Hotel offers Marriott very good quality services as elsewhere in Europe, nice swimming pool, sauna and relaxation area, large parking space and good connection to central Freising (walking distance 10 mins). Breakfasts are very rich, server by very polite staff, hotel lounge, public spaces and restaurant was pleasant for evening meal, or a glass or two of your favorite drink.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here twice in June; one night upon arriving in Munich and one night prior to leaving on an 8:00am flight. The hotel was perfect for our needs. Rooms are large and must have been refurbished recently, as it seemed mostly new. Gold status gave me two drinks at the bar and breakfast for two in the morning. Hotel is about 10 or 15 minutes from airport. The town of Freising, where the hotel is located, is quite nice. We went to the main market area on Saturday morning and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Marriott Munich Airport is situated off-airport-premises in the nearby town of Freising. This means you’ll either need to take a taxi, their shuttle, or have a rental car to access it from the airport (e.g. if you are stopping overnight). Parking is charged extra at 10 EUR per night - the least that I believe the hotel could/should have done would have been to negotiate preferential rates with the parking garage located partially underneath the property.

The hotel is functional, and staff are friendly by and large, but the whole experience is nothing to write home about:

Rooms have been recently refurbished, so expect to have a modern and functional environment during your stay (sufficient Internet bandwidth, enough plugs, good lighting, a good-size TV - with HD programs - etc.).

I my specific case restaurant staff were not very attentive on quite a number of occasions, which is regrettable, especially since there were so few guests that noticing the one who just arrived could have been really easy.

Front-desk staff were helpful and courteous at all times.

What is really annoying is that this property has no Executive Lounge, this will specifically deter Gold and Platinum members from staying here. Instead, they give you “snack vouchers” to be used at the bar, but these get dated and you won’t be able to use one that has expired. In my eyes, this is not how the hotel should treat its most loyal guests, but here the nearby airport will probably just supply many non-returning guests, so they get away with it…

I am aware that there are two hotels on-site at MUC airport. If your specific rate offers a significant saving over these two properties, by all means go for it. Alternatively, choose the Marriott of you have some time to kill and fancy a stroll through the quaint town center, which is just a five-minute walk away from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Tanja M, Guest Relations Manager at Munich Airport Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the Munich Airport Marriott Hotel and for your time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
We do apologize that we did not meet your expectations especially regarding our location and the alternative to provide our loyal gold and platinum members with the mentioned snack vouchers, free internet in the room and breakfast vouchers as we do not have the Concierge lounge. Please accept our sincere apology for your experiences during your restaurant visit. Please be assured that we already forwarded this lack of quality to our restaurant manager to train his employees. This is not the quality we would like to deliver to our guests. One more time we do apologize for this inconveniences caused and we would like to donate you 5000 Marriott Rewards Points. May we kindly ask you to contact us for your Marriott Rewards Details so we may proceed the compensation. We hope to welcome you back in the near future and to get a second chance to convince you of our quailty.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Have been staying at various hotels in Freising for 15 years. This is the best hotel in Freising and near airport. Also thr best value . Food, room, and staff service excellent. Buffet breakfast sumptuous and eccellrnt. Loden restaurant and bar food first rate. Parking convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freising
4 mi away
MOXY Munich Airport
MOXY Munich Airport
#1 of 4 in Schwaig
Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport

Been to Munich Airport Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!