We visited Oversum with a nice groupon deal that made the price seem very reasonable. The deal included a two-night stay, a 3-course menu, 2 welcome drinks, and 10E off a spa treatment.
When we arrived, the reception was very welcoming in comparison to other hotels I've stayed at in Germany. We checked into room 202. I'd say that my biggest complaint with the hotel is the room. Although it is modern and clean, the amount of space was lacking and I was surprised that there was not a refrigerator (i.e., not even a minibar fridge) or an ironing board. I do not remember the last time I had a hotel rate of this scale without these two amenities - I do not even check to see that they are offered anymore! So, if we had not been there on a deal, I would have been more disappointed. Considering you may want to go hiking, experience the spa, or relax in your room, having a fridge to store water and wine would have been nice. No ice bucket or vending, either, and room service was beyond expensive (i.e., it was clear they were trying to discourage room service from the price additions).
That being said, the bed was very nice, the bathroom had everything we needed, and the room was decorated nicely. It was just overall a bit small for two people. I looked at the layouts and the room sizes of this type seemed comparable, so I do not think we had a small room.
We had dinner at the hotel restaurant. It was lovely. It is a bit eery because everyone there were couples - so it was verrrry quiet despite about 8-10 couples being there. We had very nice service and the server/kitchen was very flexible with offering an additional option off the menu. The server even gave us recommendations of where to walk in town for a nightcap.
Breakfast was very nice - not on scale with my "favorite" places, but absolutely no complaints. It was very busy but they refill options frequently and up until 11am (not like some places I've visited where they are open until 11, but stop filling food at 10am).
The spa was also very nice. It was at maximum capacity despite the hotel seeming to have a low occupancy. I wondered where all of the people came from each morning at breakfast because the rest of the day, it was very quiet.
My final comments:
1) the hotel needs to do something to fix its door system. We had a room close to the elevator and stairs. The door to the elevator lobby and door to stairs slammed repeatedly everytime someone came to our floor. It was not possible to sleep through this, which makes it difficult to sleep in.
2) the tourism center was very helpful in helping us select a hike that fit our needs
3) we recommend the Irish pub in town for drinks in the evening (casual, fun, good for young or old couples who like some atmosphere but don't need fancy) and the greek restaurant in town for an additional dinner (average service but GREAT food). You can easily and safely walk to town from this hotel (about 5 min walk to heart of town)
4) the little bar at the hotel is very nice, and the free wifi allowed me to work and have coffee there while my boyfriend had spa services. He said the massage he had was very good.
Overall, I'd recommend staying at Oversum if you need a relaxing weekend getaway, like modern hotels, and want to enjoy a small town. I would stay there again if we had a similar deal, but would not pay full price to stay there.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HRS so you can book your Oversum - Vital Resort Winterberg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.