Hotel Hanselewirt
Agoda.com
Hotel Helmer(Schwangau)
Hotel Waldmann(Schwangau)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 October 2009

The hotel is located about 5 mintues driving, aprox. 20 minutes walking from the castles of Hohenschwangau & Neuschwanstein. Don't miss those castles !

As for the hotel, it is nice and cozy, but the room we had was very small, yet comfortable. The breakfast is standart and good. The internet connection is free of charge :-)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ofer2222
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We stayed the night after Christmas at the Gasthof Hanselewirt in Schwangau (Schwangau is a little village extremely close to the castles, about a 5 minute drive to Hohenschwangau). When we got in we were greeted within a couple of minutes by a friendly English speaking hostess. She advised us of where we can park, which is right next to the hotel. We got there pretty early so we didn't have any problems getting a parking spot, but it may have been a problem if we had gotten there later as they only have a few spots marked for their hotel. We got up to our room which was pretty decent sized for being in Europe. The bathroom was about average with a stand-up shower. The heat in the room worked awesome, and we needed it because it was COLD outside! If you pay extra, you can have a room that views the castles, and there's a balcony with tables and chairs that you can see the castles from as well (too cold to be doing this in December though!). There's not a lot to see in the actual village itself and a lot of stuff was closed because of the Holidays, so we ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. The food was incredible! My husband and I ordered different dishes, both a schnitzel of sorts, and they both were great. The beer on tap was really good as well. In the morning we went down to breakfast and had our own table reserved for us. Breakfast was typical pastries, juice, coffee/tea, and cereal. The only problem we had was when we checked out. We had initially booked the hotel online through www.booking.com (we use them for all our travels and have never had a problem) and the hotel charged my credit card upon reservation. I had brought my receipt with me just in case, but the lady (who didn't speak any English at all and we speak very little Deutsch) insisted that we still owed for staying the night and she couldn't read my receipt, so I ended up paying again for the room. At present time I am disputing the charge with my credit card company and I've contacted booking.com (they've been VERY helpful). The people at booking.com contacted the hotel for me and the owner of the hotel has assured me that they will credit my card (I'll just have to wait and see I guess). I'm pretty upset because it's been almost a month now...I teeter between Most Likely and Probably Not recommend only because of the payment issue, otherwise this would be an Absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank areyouserious
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Arrived in Schwangau and were shown to our room. It was very clean and bright and recently renovated. The bathroom was also modern and clean. Our room (no 3) had a lovely view of Neuschwanstein Castle.
As it was such a lovely day we went straight out onto the terrace for a drink and ended up eating there. The menu was quite extensive and the food was very good with large portions.
The village is very traditional and has real charm. There are cows next door but they are very clean and we only saw them in the evening in the barn.
We would recommend Gasthof Hanselewirt to anyone and would love to return one day.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank cds5
Reviewed 16 June 2007

Very nice small hotel in a beautiful traditional village nearby the Neuschwanstein castle. The room was reasonable priced and nice and quiet. The restaurant in the hotel with traditional bavarian food was quite good. We had an excellent stay and would happily return.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank djf17
Reviewed 30 April 2007

Schwangau is a small village located just 3 minutes from Neuschwanstein castle. Gasthof Hanselewirt is located within Schwangau and is loaded with charm, warm hospitality and inexpensive accomodations. Your cost includes breakfast (cereal, meats, cheeses, yogurts, fruit, etc.). There is a restaurant on premises that offers a full menu (meat, fish, vegetarian) at affordable prices. The tourist city of Fussen is only 10 minutes away and surely, you'd pay another 50% for the same type hotel/restaurant. In Schwangau, you get a good feel for the culture of the area...in Gasthof Hanselewirt, you'll get a good nights sleep with all the amenities you'd need. Loved it!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple