“Service & Decor Excellent, Drinks Very Good, Food & Price Average+”
Review of India Palace

India Palace
Ranked #5 of 99 Restaurants in Bensheim
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Darmstadt, Germany
“Service & Decor Excellent, Drinks Very Good, Food & Price Average+”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I've live in England for a long time, I love English Indian food and curries from many different countries, and I love hot chillies. This information is important because I'm reviewing Indian Palace (IP) from this standpoint. Location of the restuarant is good and there is a small car park at the back for a few cars. The restuarant is a good size (not too small or too big), modern and clean looking, and the staff are attentive and friendly. I recommend that you make a reservation especially at the weekend as we were there on Wednesday and the place was almost full. Our table was at the back and behind some binds which I was reluctant to take as I've been to a lot of restuarants and if I waiting staff can't see you, then they tend to forget you. This was not the case in IP as we were provided with menus almost immediately and asked whether we would like some drinks. Menu selection is good and the prices are competitive as the curries included rice and nan bread. We had some small starters and 2 meat curries, without drinks came to 32Euros. Drink prices are also reasonable, goto their website and check out the menu. Regarding the curries, it is difficult to get a good curry in Germany, IP is above average but I can actually cook curries similar to these. I was told by a friend to ask for authentic spicy to get a really spice curry as their normal customers don't like it too hot. I did this but still got what I can describe as a mild curry. The curry was tasty and a really good portion. We ordered 3 different types of curry and apart from the spinach curry, they tasted similar. I would recommend IP to people 'new' to curries or who would like to have a good evening out in a nice restuarant with good service and price. If the taste of curry is very important to you, then I would not recommend IP to you.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Peter M

Montreal, Quebec
“Surprisingly good!”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We went there for a group diner and had the chance to taste various dishes with shrimp, lamb, chicken, kebab etc.. as main ingredient. They are all above average but the butter chicken and chicken nurani dishes are really in a class by itself.

The naan breads at this restaurant are good but quite different. They are thin and a bit on the crunchy side, not thick and fluffy like the ones found in Montreal (e.g. Jean-Talon, West Island for example).

I had a taste of the indian beer Kingfisher and absolutely love it. Not sure if i can get them back home though.

Decor is nice and service is professional. Judging by the crowded clientele that day, this restaurant must be a popular place in Bensheim.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Duke_of_MTL
Unter-Ostern, Germany
“No need to go to India for delicious Indian food... / Man muss um lecker Indisch zu essen nicht unbedingt nach Indien...”
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Although it's a bit on the expensive side (~25€/person with soft drinks) the food at India Palace is stupendous. Freshly prepared, deliciously seasoned and appropriately spicy (ask them to tailor it to your individual taste - they hesitate to make it very spicy for their 'normal' clientele). The service is well intentioned and generally also attentive - but don't expect too much on a Friday night, when the place is packed. (Reserve in advance!) Their tandoori dishes are very good, as is the palak paneer. Our absolute recommendations are the Fish Nurani and the Eggplant Barghi (I think that's what it's called...). Oh, and the mango lassi!
Obwohl es etwas teurer ausfällt (~25€/Person) ist das Essen beim India Palace über ordentlich schmackhaft. Frisch zubereitet, authentisch gewürzt und angemessen scharf (fragt, dass sie es eurem Geschmack nach pikant machen - sie zögern etwas die Gerichte für ihre Durchschnittsklientele zu stark zu würzen...). Die Bedienung ist stets angestrengt und im allgemeinen auch sehr aufmerksam - aber erwartet an einem Freitag Abend nicht allzuviel... Da ist das Haus rappelvoll (eine Tischreservierung lohnt sich auf allen Fällen!). Die Tnadoor Gerichte sind lecker, sowie das Palak Paneer, aber unsere absolte Empfehlungen sind das Fisch Nurani und die Auberginen Barghi (ich meine, sie heißen so...). Ach ja - und die Mango Lassi!

Lorsch, Germany
“Yummy Indian Food!”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I have been living in Germany for a while now, and this is by far the best Indian food I have eaten while here. The servings are generous and most dishes come with both unlimited rice and naan bread. If you’re lucky, you may get the naan bread that is stuffed with a blend of cheese, spices and peas – delicious! Don’t forget to try the freshly ground chilies (not too hot) that are put out in small dishes on the tables to add an extra bit of flavour to your dish. The “hot” dishes can be quite spicy, but if you can’t stand the heat there are many tasty mild alternatives. The staff is very friendly and polite. For the amount of food and the service, the price is fair. If you want Indian food that will make your mouth water just thinking about it afterwards EAT HERE!

• Visited July 2012
Germany
“Authentic Cuisine and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 2 June 2010

The best Indian restaurant we found while living in Germany.
The food is generous and tasty and the staff friendly and courteous - always willing to find us a seat, even when we hadn't reserved in advance.
Highly recommended.