“Large conference hotel, comfortable, nice views from rooms, good value”

and 1 more site!
Sauerland Stern Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Willingen
Los Angeles, California
“Large conference hotel, comfortable, nice views from rooms, good value”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Huge hotel with large dining and meeting facilities for conferences. Smaller restaurants with better than average food. Bowling alley and arcade games on site. Comfortable and large rooms, many with balconies and views. Located within walking distance to town with shops and restaurants. Surrounding open areas for hiking and biking in the summer,gondola ride to the summit, ice skating rink, bike rentals. Close to other small towns and communities to visit via short car ride.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Misawa, Japan
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Stayed here for a business conference. The facilities were great and the food was good too. Not much to do unless you really like skiing.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
St.Gallen
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is a big conference hotel - that must have a hugh logistical plan to make all things work.

Staff is as friendly as they have to be - but not more. Didn't greet - just "served" you :(

Room cleaning was below 4* that they claim ti have. Drinking glasses were not exchanged and pits and pieces of the people before me were in the bathroom

Pizzeria was friendly - and the Pizza was very good. The conference food was more than pülenty and well balanced with freh and healthy salads

Room Tip: Suits on the top floor are sad to be great
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Anthony W
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We went to Sauerland Stern for a ski trip. Travelling with 2 kids ages 9 & 12, it is difficult to find a hotel that accommodates families in one room, but this one does the job. The hotel rooms are clean & spacious enough for your ski equipment and for each of the kids to have their own beds (I confirm, as a previous reviewer mentioned, the kids' beds are firm sofas that have the the hard buttons on them but the kids were so tired they never mentioned it - I'm just glad it wasn't me on the sofa). Hotel was unusually quiet for its size - we heard some kids running around but by our bedtime there was no noise. Or maybe we were that tired? : )
The hotel has only 6 slow elevators (2 of which were being fixed when we were there) that pick up from approx 8 floors. Good luck if you have your ski boots and equipment with you! We were glad we were on the 2nd floor because it was faster to use the stairs (with ski boots/clothes) to get to the lobby.
The meals at the hotel are run like cruise ships - you are assigned a time to go. Skiing all day, we were very hungry and tired. The staff does not check your meal time, so we headed to dinner earlier every night. Food is good and there is a wide selection every night, with 'kid-friendly' food as well. The only extras you pay for are drinks. Not a fancy 5-star restaurant, but we thought the offering was good, no complaints there.
Hotel pool was great - it does get crowded but we don't mind. There was another pool (community pool) to which you have access underground for a small fee which looked like fun for the kids but we were fine to go to the free pool at the hotel. The hotel also offers a kid-camp with games/crafts but we never took advantage of that since we were outdoors the whole time.
If you have a ski package, the ski companies pick you up in the lobby daily. It was our first 'real' ski vacation and we were pleasantly surprised - kids had their own instructor and adults had theirs, all small classes and divided according to skill level. Instruction is done in German (duh!) but they did a great job of translating the important things to us, as did some of the Dutch in our group. We had a lot of fun - by the end of the week the kids were skiing down at fast speed, as if they'd been skiing their whole lives.
If you're looking for a luxury hotel, this one is probably not it for you, but if you're looking for an affordable, clean, all-inclusive place, you've found it here.

Room Tip: close to elevators/lower floor if you ski
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank pbduran
Eindhoven
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Huge hotel, not very classy. Large but noisy rooms. Too few elevators so it takes ages to go up to your room or go down to the lobby or restaurants. I was here with a group of co-workers for a weekend of fun in the snow. Close to the ski slopes and all the entertainment.
Wouldn't mind going back one time. It does the job but don't expect anything fancy. Just enjoy the beautiful scenery and the outdoor activities.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank DutchBlokeEindhoven
Western New York
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We had to book this hotel by phone last minute due to a few unexpected trip changes and found the staff at the front desk to be very friendly. I can speak and understand German well, but after the woman detected my accent she switched very quickly to English which for some might be nice. The hotel pool was very cold, but still a nice pool. We also went across the street (through an underground tunnel from the hotel) to a larger public pool that had a few large slides--water was warm there and was a lot of fun for the whole family. The room was large enough and clean. My only complaint about the room would be the beds for the kids....they put sheets and bedding on two upholstered benches (technically they are probably considered couches), which were rock hard and they had fabric covered buttons sewn onto the 'benches' and you could feel them through the sheets. The kids didn't complain though--they slept. :) The food though is an entirely different story.....I thought the food was horrible. None of the food seemed 'real' (i.e. taste and texture of highly processed food) and is not the German cuisine that I know and love. One thing that I have always loved in Germany was the bread, but I found the breads that were served to be bland and not what I expected. And the breads and cheeses....after overhearing another family talking about returning meat and cheeses that they did not eat, I decided I would not be touching those....they all looked rather picked through anyway. Also, they ran out of milk very early every breakfast and evening and did not replace it....the only other alternative (besides water) for my kids was this really sweet, artificially flavored (though oddly rather flavorless) drink......I would recommend this hotel based on location, friendliness of staff and the fact that they accommodate children (finding hotels with children was not an easy task) in the same room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank purpleworms
next to hat
Reviewed 27 January 2010

Big and clean, anonymous but has all you need, if you are only there for the weekend and want to have some fun going skiing or to party. Breakfast buffet had big variety but presentation was kept simple. Service was ok. Breakfast service stopped at 10 am, which I found early considering the destination.

I found the hotel on a 3rd party booking platform and than called the property directly as there is no option to book on the hotels web site. I then did get a by far higher rate offered by the hotel than I could get on the online portal (same product). Even when telling the reservation agent about the rate I saw elsewhere, I was asked to make the reservation there, which I did. New approach for me on not keeping rate parity.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends