“All Very German”
Review of Hotel Loewengarten

Hotel Loewengarten
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Speyer
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Seeing as my surname is Speyer I thought I would head to the town and collect some Ground Rent !
My two travel companions were my eldest son Tom and a fat Polish bloke called Mirek. The hotel was clean the welcome efficient and hassle free and our stay enjoyable. Breakfast offering was comprehensive and the only criticism would be the carpet in the Dining Room. Looked like Fritz was on LSD when he chose that pattern!
The town itself is quality and pretty much sums up why GB PLC is in the mire compared with the Fatherland.....the latter has kept its dignity manners and economic might whilst the former is decaying and basically falling apart!
Back to the hotel......damn fine sanitary ware ...it needed to be with Mirek pretending to be a Panzer tank each morning .....All in all a quality hotel and one to recommend
Would like to have packed the waitress at breakfast in my suitcase but I zink zat would have caused issues at checkout. " did you have anything from ze mini bar Mr Speyer "? no but I have taken two bread rolls and Helga from ze dining room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jonspeyer
There are newer reviews for Hotel Loewengarten

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The name, the lion at the door and the front of the hotel might give a different impression, but this is a first class hotel!
The rooms are exceptionally spacious (especially taking their price into account), the airco is fast but silent and the beds are really comfortable. The breakfast buffet was fresh, nicely presented with a vast choice of ... well virtually everything that you can think of at that time of day.
I'm a fairly demanding traveller, but this was one of the very best business hotels I've ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Don't remember my room number, but even at the street side you'll have a good sleep as revol...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank H D
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Given my past experiences with German hotels I would say this is one of the better Hotels that I have stayed in. The rooms were well appointed, a good spacious bathroom with a good size and functioning shower. I cannot speak from a tourism perspective but for business it was perfect. There is a selection of pillows, which, in my past experiences is not often a choice in Germany.
Staff speak English and were more than willing to help when required. The breakfast was good too.
The only thing that I found a little strange when I finally returned to my room to sleep was that there were no curtains on the window, only net curtains. I slept well so cannot complain but I did have to have a quite laugh to myself before turning in for the night.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The hotel Lowengarten is located about 10 minutes by foot to the towncenter of Speyer.
It's a modern building, recently renovated.
Unfortunately it is right at a pretty busy street, so if you like to have your windows cracked for the night, you might as for a room to the backside, or to the side street.
The rooms are modern furnitured, nice washrooms. Spotless clean.
Breakfast buffet was ok, it feartured everything I needed for a good start.
The room rates are not cheap, so I guess we expected a bit more outstanding rooms.

The restaurant is a bit pricy, althoughthe offer good food.

We pretty much enjoyed our stay at Speyer, as it is a nice old town, huge cathedral, and alot shopping options and restaurants downtown.
We liked the food at as small restaurant called "schwarzamsel"...hard to find, but it was worth to search for. They had good German food & wine.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back or to the side road, as the main road upfront is pretty busy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2012

its not a 5 star hotel, but its modern and it is very clean. the rooms are very clean everything is new and also somwhat spacious. the lobby is small but adequate, we had to leave early but the breakfast room was open and the breakfast was much better than most german 4 star hotels. also its a 10 min walk to the city center where all the restaurants are. free wifi and i believe free parking as well. i will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I very much enjoyed the two weeks I sent with my family at the Lowengarten in Speyer. Our room was spacious and comfortable (except for the small shower, but hey, this is Europe). It was spotlessly clean with amazingly comfortable beds. The lobby is modern and simple. The bar area fun. Breakfasts are generous and delightfully varied. I have never eaten better croissants, fresh fruit, cereals and bacon (!!!) in any other hotel. Delicious! The staff is patient, kind, friendly and efficient. I felt very welcome and valued. Plus, I love the Gummi Bears they leave on the beds every day. A nice, sweet touch. And the location is awesome. It is very easy to get to from the highway and is less than a 10 minute walk to the Alt Portal and all the Speyer restaurants. We will stay there again!

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 9 July 2010

NIce hotel in a great location. Lovely walk to the center of Speyer. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: June 2010