“Excellent cycling base”
Review of Haus Erholung

Haus Erholung
Ranked #8 of 61 Cochem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have just had 8 days with the Lehman family - and what a lovely time we had. The welcome was instant and friendly, I tried my 'German' out but thankfully Frau Lehman could interpret what I was trying to say and spoke to me in English. Lovely breakfast, fabulous appartment with balcony overlooking the Mosel to the side; excellent facilities including full kitchen with appliances; wifi reception better than at home; they couldn't do enough for us, and the indoor pool was lovely. Secure storage for the bikes was an asset; off road parking to the rear of the hotel for the car. Excellent value overall and nicely placed for a short walk into Cochem. We will probably book again sometime soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'Mosel Blick' (view) if you want a room overlooking the river - some rooms are in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed at the Erholung recently with our two young children (4 and 7). My In-Laws have been coming here for a number of years, have raved about it, and asked us to join them. The owner was wonderfully hospitable and nothing was too much trouble. Everything spotlessly clean and friendly staff. We had two adjacent rooms with a shared entrance which could be separately locked creating a good environment for the children. We had our space yet they could walk down a corridor to us in safety if they awoke in the night. The breakfast was great with a lovely array of breads, cheeses, hams etc. We were always asked if we wanted to make a packed lunch up for the children which we did. Pool was nice as well. All in all, a great time with Cochem having loads to do with children (boat rides, swimming, cycling, chairlift etc. and loads of nice restaurants. Erholung thoroughly recommended and would love to go back.

Room Tip: Annexe is good as it is back from the main road so quieter, but still with views of river from our b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed in the B&B for 6 nights. July 7th to 13th 2013. We had a wonderful time. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner Hilda. She was very welcoming and spoke very good English. The bedroom had a balcony overlooking the river. There was wifi near reception where we sat overlooking the river. The breakfast was enjoyable and Hilda even asked if we'd like to pack ourselves some lunch for our journey home.
The swimming pool was lovely but not as warm as we are used to in the UK, although quite refreshing after a hot bike ride!
The hotel was ideally situated - just a 10 minute walk into the centre or very short bike ride. There are plenty of cycle paths from the hotel and boat trips nearby.
I would recommend this hotel and stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We have enjoyed staying many times at Haus Erholung in Cochem on the Mosel. However, almost all of the times previously at their annex Ferienhaus, a flew buildings back toward town, which they since sold. Frau Lehmann has always been very hospitable and helpful. She even arranged for me to have ice cubes. Also, we wanted to rent bicycles one sunny day to ride along the Mosel. However, the bike rental shop nearby was out of rental bikes because of it being a long weekend with Father's Day & Mother's Day. Frau Lehmann was nice enough to let us use their bicycles. The breakfasts were superb with abundant variety.

Room Tip: We had Room 7 in the building with the indoor swimming pool, by request because we wanted a double r...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed in room 6 in the annexe behind the main building. Everything was spotlessly clean, the room had a covered balcony which overlooked the Moselle on either side of the hotel - perfect for sitting out with a glass of wine :-). The town is a lovely 15 minute walk along the river side, and Cochem itself has lots of great bars restaurants and some lovely shops. There were no tea/coffee making facilities inthe room, but i feel that if we had asked the proprietor, she would probably have provided them as she was most helpful. The only other minor irritation was that there was no lift - after the initial unloading of all the luggage, this wasnt a huge problem. The swimming pool is also in the annexe and was very pleasant and clean. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant, and the owner especially so. She speaks good English and was most helpful. Overall we loved our stay in Cochem and would definitely stay at Haus Erholung again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The hotel is further south of Cochem than I thought & actually in Sehl. It is quite a walk from the train station (to the north of town) 25 minutes. However, for those who drive, there is plenty of parking. I stayed in the only single room. It is located in the annex building directly behind the main hotel. Unfortunately, my room was without a river view. It does however have it's own large terrace with lounge chairs and a forest view. The hotel is well managed by the English speaking owner. The whole hotel is immaculately clean and very well maintained. My room was smallish but with everything needed - an extra long twin bed, upholsered chair, coffee table, desk & chair, good lighting (especially in the bath) and sufficient storage space. The bath with shower has been updated and has a hairdryer and wall mounted magnifying mirror (wow!). The mattress was very comfortable. Carpet in the room looks to be brand new. The downside of the room is no ventilation other than sliding glass doors. They can be locked with an opening of about an inch, or completely closed. As it was warm in the room overnight I ended up opening the doors while sleeping. Not exactly safe but the need for sleep over ruled better sense. That being said, behind the annex is a wooded hill straight up & little if any access to the terrace. The hotel offers a heated indoor pool. It may be heated by German standards, but, not mine. The room the pool was in was extremely warm, the water not. I was really looking forward to swimming each night but only did it once. At breakfast, there are 3 areas to sit - a regular dining room, a glassed in solarium and an outdoor terrace, all with stunning views of the river, Cochem & the castle. The complimentary breakfast was standard German fare. I was told breakfast was 8:00 - 10:00. My first morning I came down at 7:30 with the intention of sitting on the terrace to enjoy the view before breakfast. The owner stopped me, said breakfast was ready & they already had a lovely table in the solarium set up for me. Only one thing I didn't care for was the sheet (1) on my bed. (Remember, most German hotels don't use a top sheet). The sheet was an off white flannel rather than standard cotton percale. But, both the pillowcase & duvet cover were the standard cotton percale. My four nights at the hotel were very enjoyable. The woman who owns the hotel is just wonderful and will go out of her way to assist in making your vacation enjoyable. She is simply lovely. She even asked how I slept (and was interested in knowing the answer.) All the staff were helpful and courteous. The only downside was no internet service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2012

What a gem of a place this is !
Located on the promenade which runs alongside the beautiful Moselle river, the Haus Erholung offers a truely warm welcome - the lady owner is lovely and speaks good English - nothing is too much trouble. My motorcycle was securely 'garaged' down in the cellar along with push bikes which can be hired for 5 Euros a day.
We booked one of the Haus Erholung suites (No 2) which was spotlessly clean and very well equipped - we had a bedroom with balcony offering a lovely side view of the Moselle, a bathroom, a lounge with a further balcony over-looking the wooded hillside behind the hotel and an exceptionally well equipped kitchenette .......... 3 nights for 312 Euros ..... superb !!
Oh, and there is a small indoor swimming pool which looks great, but we didn't get time to try it !
Haus Erholung is an easy (approx. 300 metres) stroll into the village where there are many bars and restaurants to choose from, or take a lovely cruise up / down the Moselle on one of the many pleasure boats, or catch a train from Cochem station to Koblenz (20 Euros return for 2 adults) which is a wonderful city located on the spot where the Moselle and Rhine merge.

The breakfast provided at Haus Erholung was astonishing - I've never seen such a wonderful selection of meats and cheeses plus many other wonderful things ...... unbeatable !

Do I recommend Haus Erholung ? Absolutely !!

We will definitely return and I strongly recommend that you book this hotel, as you will certainly not be disappointed !

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple