Alte Thorschenke
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Noss(Cochem)
  • Room Service
All reviewscharming hotelantique bedmedieval atmosphereyogurtmosel valleyparkingcomfortgermanelevatorcurtainscheese
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2010

No A/C, same in all old buildings in Cochem but this is located right in the streets. Between the train and tourist area... Pretty much impossible to sleep.

Breakfast was horrible.

There must be better hotels in Cochem.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed in two rooms at the Alte Thorschenke in June, 2010. The check in process was facilitated by long time, English speaking employee, Inge, and we and we had great expectations. Our room was large, and the bathroom very clean and roomy. but the hotel in general was a little creepy. It is at the corner of the pedestrian zone to the front and a very busy, loud and dirty street to the side. There's a great bakery right across the square and plenty of restaurants closeby. The check-out process was difficult - desk staff didn't speak ANY English, and German didn't seem to be her first language, either. Cochem is a good home base for exploring the area, but I would DEFINITELY stay on the other (quieter) side of the river next time.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel mainly because i was arriving late and it was the only place in the area where I could check in after midnight. I paid 65 euros for a single room which was very basic and dull. The location was great during the day but I did not get a wink of sleep all night for the noise. There are some bars nearby and all night people were screaming and shouting, it was awful. I was due to stay 2 nights but when I asked if I could move to a quieter room I was informed that the hotel was full. I found another hotel over the river which was cheaper and much nicer. I would not recommend Alte Thorschenke if you want to sleep...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Usually I look carefully at all Trip Advisor reviews and if there is a glaring negative, I will not book that hotel. I should have listened to "Travelling Rover - May 2008" and some of the other "smaller" comments made by TA reviewers. But I didn't and it was the worst hotel experience of my life. I was having 2nd thoughts about this hotel before we left home, but since we'd put so much effort into searching for hotels (and we needed 8) I thought "How bad could it be?" The next time that little voice in my head speaks, I will listen to it!

We arrived in Cochem on our first day in Europe. The Alte Thorschenke was the first of 8 hotels that we would be staying in while in Europe. Renate (the manager-?) told me in an e-mail that we would have a family room but since it was a triple, it would face the street, and yes...we "might" hear the train noise. She mentioned no other noise. Cost: $198./per night, including breakfast and taxes. We also booked one half board meal, at 18,50 Euros per person.

Upon arrival, we were taken to our room, #12. It was very small, dreary, dingy, dirty, mildew in the bathroom, walls that needed painting, dark with only one window in the bedroom area, etc., and extremely hot. The 3rd bed was pushed against the wall and sandwiched between TV and electrical cords dangling on the pillow at one end, and the minibar at the other end. Overall, I think it was a 2 person room with an extra cot thrown in. I can't say one positive comment about this room.

Our first night there (of 3) was a nightmare. We had to leave the windows open or we would have suffocated from the heat as there was no air flow from the window into the room. But the noise was horrendous. The trains could be heard but they weren't as noisy as we had thought they would be. The car traffic was far louder. But there are a few bars on the street that stay open extremely late, and the crowd that frequents them nightly are obnoxiously loud and of a dubious character. Even after the bars closed there were drunk people up ALL night on the street, screaming obscenities and breaking bottles. I was a little concerned that a bottle might go through our open window. Where was the Cochem police force? This is the main thoroughfare, not a back alley. Drunks on a main street at 5:00 AM is something I would think someone might have noticed. Needless to say, we got no sleep at all that night.

The next morning I asked a young lady at the desk if there was another room that could accommodate the 3 of us. I was pretty shocked when I saw the first of the 2 rooms that she took me to. It was large and pleasant, with many windows around the perimeter of the room, as well as a huge bathroom that looked (and I only looked briefly) updated. But it was still facing the noisy street. The 2nd room was also large enough for 3 people but also faced the street. We were so exhausted from not sleeping all night, as well as jetlagged, that even though the 2 rooms were more suitable, we couldn't stand the thought of moving all our belongings up a flight of stairs knowing that the nightly noise would be just as bad. However, what we didn't understand was why didn't the hotel offer us one of these rooms when we arrived? They were both empty for our entire stay and were obviously much more suited to a family of 3.

Nights 2 and 3 were just as bad as night #1.

Another issue was the half board. For 18,50 Euros we were told that we were having the chicken dinner. Period. No menu to peruse (and observe the prices on the menu). I said that we did not eat chicken, could we have schnitzel instead? They didn't like that but allowed us the schnitzel. Looking the next day at their menu, we realized that the half board was overpriced. Thank goodness we only had the one night with half board. The dinner was allright, I don't remember much about it one way or the other. By the way, we were told that since we had ordered the half board (from the US) we had to take it. Also, you can get a much better meal for a much lower price almost anywhere else in town.

Overall, this hotel stay was a nightmare. Three nights where none of us could sleep for more than about 1/2 hour at a time before the drunks outside the hotel woke us up again. Being awakened to crashing bottles and people screaming and cursing (I haven't heard the "F" word that much in a long time) is certainly not condusive to sleeping. If we were going to Cochem again, we would stay across the bridge on the other side of town. It's a very short walk and it is much more peaceful over there.

Positives: The location isn't bad, although the town is small enough to walk anywhere easily. If the weather is cold and you can shut your window, and the noise is blocked, this hotel might be okay, although it still isn't very clean. The young ladies who serve breakfast are very nice and accommodating. There are many shops nearby if that is your interest. Cochem is a lovely little town that gets quite crowded during the day but the crowds are pretty much gone at night.

Negatives: This hotel dispels the notion that all German hotels are clean. This one needs a serious overhaul "everywhere." We felt very "ripped off" by this hotel. It was not a good start to a much anticipated European vacation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2009

I stayed here with my father in law, the night before we drove the Mosel-wine-route and visited some vineyards.
Cochem is a little tourist town and this hotel is right in the middle, dating back many centuries.

We paid only 75 euros per room incl breakfast and I found it good value for money. Friendly and helpful service, large rooms.
This hotel may not offer the comfort of large businesslike hotel, but there is lot in return in terms of atmosphere. If you are tall please mind your head when entering your room. Everything either IS old or LOOKS old, including bathroom, cupboard etc. Personally I didn't like the bed but my travelling companion had a good nights sleep.

There is some noise from the streets at night, but it might be a one-off. I didn't think there would be much nightlife, still there seemed to be a lot of people on the streets at 3 am.

We didnt have dinner in the hotel but in a restaurant that is worth recommendation, just a few blocks further, the Lohspeicher hotel/rest. Five course menu 75 euro, good chef, lovely wines.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends