“Quirky and Fun, Memorable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cochem
Zum Froehlichen Weinberg
Ranked #49 of 57 Cochem B&B and Inns
Redding, California
“Quirky and Fun, Memorable”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed here for two nights in June, 2011, during a six week trip through Germany. This was a memorable little B&B, partly because of the owners, partly because of the charm, and partly because of the experience. The room was small, but well set up for the space. We had everything we needed: room to move, room for our packs, a table and chairs inside and also out on the patio (but it was really raining a lot so we did not sit out). The bathroom was a little dark, but clean and had everything we needed. If you look at the photos, you will see that, though the room was small, it was unique. There is a certain charm to it, and we enjoyed returning in the evenings.
The breakfast was fantastic, and we enjoyed being in a small place, with good food, lingering and speaking to the (primarily) Germans who were staying, biking the Rhine and Mosel. In the afternoon or early evenings, especially when it was raining, we would go hang out upstairs in the dining area, drink wine and read. There is WiFi there as well. The second evening the owner came in, sat down and drank wine with us, and then spent over an hour "girl talking" with my wife (I left) which she so appreciated (she gets a little weary of me after a couple weeks... this was a good break!).
We would go back any time.
As a side note: We both thought the Mosel wines were better than the Rhine wines, and the river has a quiet feel to it that is so peaceful. We came up from the Rhine-Mosel confluence by boat, and it was great going through the locks. Lots of good hiking around here. We moved on to Luxembourg after this, since it was such a short train ride away.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaVidaBuono

Business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed in an apartment with two others. The apartment was very spacious and included two bathrooms - one with the shower, deep bathtub, toilet, and sink; the other with just a sink and toilet. Very convenient if potentially sharing with 4 people. The bed was firm but comfortable.

The highlights for me were threefold:

1) Common areas: Rooftop garden with tables and chairs; patio area with tables and chairs and board games. These were great places to relax, meet other guests, and converse with those in my party. Both locales go great with #2.

2) Beer fridge. Full of wine and beer at very cheap prices.

3) breakfast. Breakfast was a full traditional German spread with wonderful homemade marmalade. Very scrumptious.

This place is run by a mother/daughter team. The daughter's English is quite good, mom's is very limited so plan accordingly (I gather mom checks people in, daughter runs breakfast. Overall i would recommend this to a friend and stay here again when I visit Cochem again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank blink7589
Cincinnati
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed here two nights in October 2011. When I travel, I don’t spend a lot of time in my hotel, so I just look for a safe, clean place to sleep and leave my bag, and this place met my needs.

My room was tiny (even by European standards), but it was big enough for me, and I grew to like its coziness. My room contained a single bed, upright shower, toilet, sink, tiny desk, small TV, and hooks for hanging my coat & clothes. Not all the rooms are this small.

Breakfast offers a good selection, especially the tasty jams and jellies, and is served in a cozy kitchen/dining room up the (outdoor) stairs from my room. I shared a table with other guests, whom I found to be friendly, helpful, and kind – a pleasant welcome to Germany, as this was my first stop on a ten-day trip.

The sole owner needs to know your time of arrival so she can plan her day. Do stick to this. I arrived half an hour past my planned arrival time, and I think I interrupted her dinner with some friends. She was gracious and quickly showed me to my room, but I felt sorry for being late. Also, I don’t think she speaks much English, and I unfortunately don’t speak German, so communication was a little difficult, but we got it figured out!

I traveled by train and on foot (no car). I was able to walk here from the Cochem train station. I did get lost and had some trouble finding it, but I can't really blame the place for that.

The town of Cochem is a vacation spot for Germans and nearby Europeans, so it has a nice vibe. I loved it.

Pros: Price, location, friendly people, homey atmosphere
Cons: Small, lot of stairs

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo