“Beautiful hotel and grounds”
Review of Hotel Bad Schachen

Hotel Bad Schachen
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Lindau
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had a fantastic time at this hotel and were lucky with the weather- warm and sunny enough to enjoy a lake swim.
Public areas are beautiful, majestic with high ceilings, large windows, wonderful lake front terrace for dining. Wonderful new indoor pool and renovated spa area- lounge in bathrobes outside the spa/pool area on recliners set out on the lawn overlooking the lake. Very relaxing!

The adjacent outdoor pool pavilion and lake front access are a short walk through the woods. This area is also amazing and beautiful- very cool and old fashioned. Open to the public but not an ugly mob scene. Kids tend to stay at the back near the outdoor pool area and adults on recliners on the lawn in front of the lake.

There are beautiful homes and villas in the immediate area and the pool pavilion crowd looked affluent and sophisticated. I would advise wearing water shoes because there are a few concrete protrusions in the roped off lake swimming area and it's possible to scrape yourself while swimming. Lake water was the perfect temperature and a gentle current added to the enjoyment.

We were sooo glad to be staying in the residential Bad Schachen area and not in Lindau proper or Bregenz. Coming back to our peaceful hotel in the woods felt like a luxurious treat. Parking was a breeze- a few times the gravel, wooded lots were full at night and we parked steps away on the road leading out of the property. The entire area feels safe and secure for any car or person.

Front desk staff were pleasant. We did have some odd experiences while trying to book a room via email and by phone but everything was in order when we arrived.

Our junior suite on the top floor was spacious and had a great view of the lake but was in need of refurbishing. There was also an odd, musty smell that persisted during our entire stay despite windows being wide open- kind of like grandma's attic smell. If you require a four or five star room you will be disappointed in this hotel. Maid service was excellent but carpet and furniture need to be replaced. The mattress and linens were fine.

Meals- breakfast was excellent and both the interior dining area and outdoor areas are stunning. Indoor dining features huge windows, light, airy and bright. We enjoyed lunch but dinner was a bit of a disappointment- too continental hotel style with foam etc. and many Austrian dishes which did not appeal to us at all. Some of the courses were good though- if we go again, would probably not have dinner here. Cooking oil for deep frying was in desperate need of a change. Both the french fries at lunch and potatoes dauphine at dinner had a rancid, off taste.

Overall, a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Hotels like this do not come cheap, but they are worth every penny. Views over Bodensee are spectacular, even including a flying Zeppilin! Service is outstanding, with full attention to detail. Food was excellent, we even managed one evening meal on the outside terrace, ( under a canopy as it later started to rain) and one breakfast, in the glorious morning sunshine. The speciality restaurant is also worth a visit, even if just for the decor.
There is a very talented pianist playing from teatime to about 11pm, and although we never participated, the high tea with its sumptuous cakes looked divine.

Our room was large and had double doors out on to a balcony which faced the lake. Everythng was clean and very comfortable. The Spa was modern and well planned, but we only got chance to use the indoor pool which was lovely.

Lindau town is only a 2.3 kilometer walk away, which is well worth a visit. The surrounding gardens are well planned and peaceful. For those brave enough, there is also a 'Seebad' right next door!

We definitely recommend this hotel, we felt we had arrived in another era. Wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 13Woodys
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The hotel looks like an old grand hotel from the 1880's (which it is). Service was excellent, the waiter gave us a great wine recommentation. Food was very good, BBQ for dinner and a great offer for breakfast. Next to the hotel is a "Seebad" where you can jump right into Lake Constance and enjoy the clear water.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank freebeeratmoes
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I wouldn't have believed it if I had not experienced it myself but "it is like travelling to the past." Why would they have someone playing piano from late afternoon until 11pm every night, without stop? Why would you have high tea in the afternoon? Why would service and the quality of food and linens be beyond reproach? Why do you feel a bit like royalty and that you are being pampered? The answer to all of these questions is"because we can!" As we'll, this is a health resort so you go to the pool, saunas and have a massage. We loved it for our 4 day visit of Lake Constance and we highly recommend this place.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianCouple56
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Don't know why it has recently gotten two (though it is clearly the same story) bad reviews..... I love this hotel
Beautiful hotel directly located at the lake. Great service and beautifully decorated. Very elegant.....if you are lucky you'll see Royals, celebrities and Nobel Laureates.
Stay for a couple of days longer to enjoy the Lake Constance! Make sure you get a lake view room! The views are spectacular.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Two friends and I visited this place and first impressions where poor; painful service that only grew to excruciating by the time we got "dumped" in our cells / ("rooms").
For €170+ per night the only good thing was the view, but the cost is in terms of terrible rooms that are not part of the main building. These are like school dorms, bouncy suspended floors and cramped conditions with low quality beds. My friend complained but just got nowhere and was not pleasantly deal with by the manager.
The promised secure parking never happened and the evening meal was a farce, the wine they tried to fob us off with was not the ordered bottle, this was sent back and the originally-ordered one came to the table, it was then "corked" and spilt by the waiter. The Steak come out rare when ordered medium, and when it was sent back, it came back, not a new dish, but the one we sent back re-heated! This is a €80 steak!
We complained and told that the kitchen was closing and there was nothing they would do.
We left early without the breakfast and can only urge visitors to consider other options.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, if you must go here
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank holswithpixies
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I struggle to find anything good to say about my stay here. On the positive side, the communal areas of the hotel were lovely. Negative, well, where do I start!

I was staying one night with friends on a driving holiday. We have large sports cars and specifically requested parking that would be spacious enough. The garage at the hotel was too small- I was told my car is too big- despite having arranged all this prior. So we parked out the front of the hotel.

The girl on reception was sweet but clueless.

My room resembled a school dormitory with a floor that bounced when you stood on it. One of my party asked to me moved and was. I asked and was told that the hotel was fully booked (despite being later told that it was 80% occupied). But while my friends room was twice as big and a much better standard of fittings, I paid the same price.

But the most awful experience was the meal. I ordered a nice bottle of wine- the waiter turned up with the same chateau but different year. He told me it was the same price. I said that's not the case- the bottle I wanted was a vintage but the bottle he brought was not. He went off and came back with the right bottle. On opening it, he split the cork. He went away with the bottle and came back, having clearly left most of the cork in the bottle, broken up. So, he went to decant it and used a device to catch the broken cork. On pouring it, he spilt a large amount on the table and floor. He said he would give me a coffee as an apology- but this was a £120 bottle of wine! It gets worse!

The steak I ordered medium, arrived so raw that when the waiter put the knife in to cut it, it squirted blood all over him and left so much blood on the table it looked like the animal had been slaughtered in front of us. So I asked for a piece as I ordered. He came back minutes later with the same piece which had clearly been either microwaved or put back in the oven on high temperature. I told him I wanted to see the restaurant manager who I told that I wanted a fresh piece of meat cooked as I asked for it. She told me (and still no apology) that the kitchen was now closed but they should be able to get me something in 45 minutes, which would have been 11pm! So, we took our wine and sat in the bar and drank it.

One of my friends was so annoyed he went to reception to complain. He got no apology and no empathy.

My friends were leaving early. One of them asked if he could get a coffee and was told the kitchen was closed.

I had such a poor experience that in the morning I preferred to leave hungry than to have to eat breakfast there. We had paid to check out the night before so my friends could leave early. When I arrived at reception I handed in the key and was made to wait while they checked I had paid my bill to check out- despite my telling them it was already settled.

I would strongly suggest none stays here until they get their customer service sorted out. It is not a cheap hotel.

I never write reviews. I am just too busy, but this stay annoyed me so much I feel compelled to write. I hope none else has to endure such terrible service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends