“A clever mix of Asian and European indulgence”

The Chedi Andermatt
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Andermatt
Newbury, United Kingdom
“A clever mix of Asian and European indulgence”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in March and were sceptical about Andermatt being the right resort for such an endeavour - we were proved wrong as cleverly Andermatt is only an hours drive out of Zurich making the new Hotel very accessible for a weekend of indulgence and with the development of the Town including the new golf course it will be a place to visit all year round. It is the first hotel of its kind to offer this mix of Asian and European luxury and such a refreshing change to the 'normal' Swiss style. The rooms are beautifully designed and finished to a very high standard, we could want for nothing, if I were being very picky I would say the choice of bathroom products would not be what I would expect from a Zen like environment - over perfumed. The Spa was a haven of tranquility and we loved the pools which were all different temperatures, perfect after a day of skiing. To have a choice of different temperature steam rooms was a brilliant idea. We ate in the Hotel for 3 nights and were disappointed to find the Sushi bar closed - apparently only open in high season. The food was very good but the service at times a little erratic, there were either waiters all over you or nowhere to be seen - it is early days and I am sure they are sorting out any teething problems. Breakfast was excellent but sometimes the timing was a little too quick with the cooked option. We were very impressed by the cigar lounge and the amazing books. We would certainly return to the Chedi and to have somewhere that is so easy to get to for a weekend makes it very appealing.

Room Tip: We had a larger room overlooking the mountains which had a lovely balcony for afternoon sun .
2 Thank Milly P
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Andermatt, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your kind note and for staying with us. We appreciate your positive Feedback and are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your visit. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Chedi Anderrmatt in the not to distant future.

Alain Bachmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We've been there in April in a very nice and big room. Everything is great, the spa (two hammam, two sauna, three small pools, a bigger pool, unfortunately a little too cold for us). The restaurant and bars are in the same high decoration level, the only low point is the service, quite disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OneAdvisedTraveller
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing to us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed, the lap pool (35meters) is ideal for swimmers, well tempered at 27°C. For a more cozy feel we recommend our three warm pools in the Hydrotherapy, at 33°C to 42°C. I do apologise that the service was not up to standards, I will certainly address this with my team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Chedi Andermatt very soon and thank you again for your feedback.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We have visited the hotel last weekend with my husband and the hotel is amazing, the rooms are amazing....also the spa experience including the massage was excellent. The room had a fireplace and you could control everything , ie blinds, lighting through an ipad!!!....It is very easy to get to Andermatt from Zurich, about 120 km....

The only negative was the fact that the staff do not always understand if you are talking in English ...Also even though you are responding in English, the next day the receptionist replies to you in German.....I would expect "The Chedi" to be more of an international hotel and not a local Andermatt one. I got the feeling that some of the staff think that they work at the local boutique Andermatt hotel which is not the case......

Also I had preoredered our breakfast on our last day because we were departing at 7am and would liked to have brown bread....the response was "sorry we do not have brown bread , only white...".I did not expect such a response given what we paid for a night....

Lastly the club sandwich at the bar was ok but a bit small, I was considering to order a second one.....

I am writing the above because I want to return to the Chedi again but with these small burtimportant changes I believe,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 713nat
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Andermatt, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear 713nat,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We are delighted that overall you very much enjoyed your stay with us. We do indeed have many Swiss employees (over 40%) which we are very proud of. Most of them do speak English. However, being an international hotel it could happen that some of the team do not fluently speak English but there is always a member of the team on hand who could assist. I am sorry to learn that brown bred was not available which of course should not have happen. The food concept in the bar is small plates 'tapas style', little snacks to accompany your drinks, so you may share a few plates among friends. Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Bildstein, Austria
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hipe about the Chedi is most understandable. A project like this is hard to find in the Alpes. So my expectation was high even more as a friend highly recomanned the hotel. The brand has a good reputation for me as I stayed in the Chedi in Oman and I was very happy there.

At the end of my stay I was disappointed.

What happend? The location where the Chedi is build has no ambience. So when you look out of the windows there is nothing to see.

The pool looks great but is very cold. I hurt mysehlf badly on the staires leading into the pool. The water made my eyes looking red for a whole day. The entrance to the pool is hard to find. Most people have to go to the reception as they need help.

The Chedi cordon bleu was the worst I have ever eaten. The manager of the restaurant responded well to my complain and did his best to make us happy.

I asked my friend what she payed for the room - she said 800 SFR. I payed 1.600 SFR. So I went to the reception to find out why I pay so much more. They told me it is the view. As there is little to see I said it is not fair to charge so much more. The supervisior had no understanding for my claim. Later in the room I have been informed by the reception that I am in a delux room and not in a suit. So they have send me in a wrong room ! That the fire place inside the room did not work was just an other piece in the pussle.

In general the Chedi is not strong in details. Pulpes are broken. Plastik bricks are in some locations. The decoration is more than poor. The furniture is already havely marked. Plastik fear is everywhere.......

I can say that I hardly ever found such a bad relation of price to value.

Daniel

Room Tip: The higer up the better. For a view to the mountain you pay 50% more - that is not worth the money.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank DanielAlbert2014
Dear DanielAlbert2014,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us. We appreciate your comments. I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your visit to Andermatt. As you know the Andermatt Swiss Alps resort is a project in progress which sees further development over the next years. The Pool is heated to 27°C as it invites the swimmers to swim their laps. For guests seeking a warmer pool we offer three different pools in our Hydrotherapie, heated from 33°C to 42°C. The entrance to the Spa is indeed a bit hidden but there is a direct access elevator which arrives in front of the Spa reception. I apologise for the confusion with the room. The difference between a Deluxe Room and Grand Deluxe Room (52m2) is CHF 200 which we believe is an appropriate premium for a higher floor and a better view. The Suite (approx. 100m2) has a premium of CHF 200 (approx. 100m2) from the Grand Deluxe. I was happy to learn that the wrong rate was adjusted accordingly. I regret that the fire place did not work, it has since been fixed again. We would welcome the opportunity to have you back with us in the not too distant future. Sincerely, Alain Bachmann, General Manager
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We loved this hotel, really loved it!

The design, the huge rooms, the great breakfast!Try eggs Benedict they are just great!
Of course they still have some issues to sort out but overall we just very much enjoyed it!
I would love to go back for the next ski holidays!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Andermatt, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear domenig2,
Thank you for your kind feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write to us and were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Of course we are looking forward to welcoming you back for your ski vacation to The Chedi Andermatt.
Best wishes,
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 March 2014

You will have high expectations. And you do not expect it to be low-priced.
This said: This place is very nice, indeed. Design as it's best. Very spacious. Nice rooms. Comfortable beds. It's a new interpretation of a grand hotel.
Only the service is a bit slow, I have to admit. Well, it's still all new, but with the amount of staff which is working there, it should be better by now.
Anyway, go see the spa and you will be happy again. So happy.
Great location, top of the world.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear TheKitchener,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback which we truly enjoyed reading. We will certainly work hard to also speed up the service to make the entire experience spotless. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Switzerland
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The hotel design and interior is stunning. Modern, asian inspired, luxury and cozy at the same time. I loved the many fireplaces and and comfy sitting areas in the public areas. We had room 1111 on the first floor with beautiful view to the alps and a huge terrasse. The room was big and ultra luxurious, especially the bathroom. Everything was new, clean and top notch.
The spa, pool area and gym is big, luxurious and a dream. Wonderful. Breakfast is buffet style with several stations where food is prepared in front of your eyes, very fresh and perfect quality. We had a dinner snack at the bar. The snack menu is a bit limited and could be improved while the food as such was very good an nicely presented. We found the service in the bar and restaurant very good an friendly. The only small downsize is the time for check-in and check-out (thats why I give a 4 star rating). It took nearly half an hour for checkout until we got our car from the garage. Besides this, we loved every minute in this hotel and will stay here again for sure. Andermatt ist not as famous and upscale as St. Moritz oder Zermatt, but is still an nice place for skiing and hiking.

Room Tip: room 1111 deluxe room on the first floor had nice view to the mountain and huge terrasse.
1 Thank luxuryvoyage
Alain-Bachmann, General Manager at The Chedi Andermatt, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear luxury voyage,
Thank you so much for sharing your glowing feedback. We are happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the delay in check-out which we will certainly try to improve.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.