See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This was a very nice hotel within good walking distance of Brig town centre. The rooms were large and well furnished but would have benefited from air conditioning. The views from the room were spectacular. The Hotel has a good restaurant and serves an adequate breakfast.
The Staff in the Hotel were extremely pleasant and helpful and their advice really helped make our holiday stay in Brig special.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert A
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Hotel is very good and reception was also nice. Room qualities are very nice. Decorated room with all facilities. Old antiques wardrobe and beds. Nice view from the room. Nice breakfast. Overall stay at this hotel was relaxing.

Room Tip: Take a room at top floor with best view of Alps
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank viraam
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I usually find myself writing reviews for places that I have loved or at least liked, but tonight I find myself writing this review offline in a hot, stuffy, miserable room in the Central Hotel in Brig, Switzerland, hoping to prevent someone else from making the mistake of staying here.

There are two buildings to the Central hotel, the main building and the newer looking “Gasthouse”. We were in the latter, and the rooms are passable, the decoration is dowdy, but clean enough, and the bathrooms are comfortably sized. However the rooms are too hot and not possible to cool them down – the fan system barely moves any air, and with windows opening to the street, it’s becomes a trade off between breeze vs. noise and bugs. Also, while they state they have free wireless internet, it does not reach this building… just compounding my grumpiness.

The issue is that the staff just does not seem to care as we found at breakfast (which was included in the price of the stay). It seems that the Central caters to tour groups. We arrived for breakfast just as a tour group was leaving. We sat down and waited for a bit to see if the staff would restock the devastated breakfast bar, but they did not. Nobody offered us coffee, so I served our family from the pot on the burner, which prompted the server to bring us a carafe and take the coffee pot back. We asked if they were going to put out anything more, but they said that there was still food out. In short, take it or leave it.

Contrary behavior was not limited to the breakfast room. Our adult children are traveling with us and are staying in a separate room; they had left their towels hanging in the bathroom (signifying that they would use them again to save water, per the hotel’s own message). They also left the card on the door requesting privacy since they left out some of their personal effects. When we returned late from our day trip to Zermatt, they found that the room had been made up, and the towels removed – with fresh towels for only one left in their place. Too late and too tired to go in search of more towels, the kids are just making do with what they have.

The Central Hotel does not merit it’s three stars, and it is not a good value for the money. We have been traveling in Western and Central Europe for the past three weeks and this hotel qualifies as the worst place we stayed during this vacation… and probably the worst hotel we have stayed in over the last fifteen years (and that’s a lot of hotels.) Unfortunately we did not have the chance to consult Trip Advisor before choosing this hotel - we arrived late into Brig and the Tourism Office made a call on our behalf to assure us a room. Per our plan, we were supposed to go to Sion, but got held up in traffic getting across Switzerland.

While Brig is not worth the detour, it served it’s purpose in putting us within an easy drive of Zermatt. And Zermatt is definitely worth the detour – and worth staying in! Just wish we had gotten the chance to do so...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank 4Tigger
Reviewed 1 December 2007

I just returned from a meeting in Brig, where we were booked into the Central Hotel. At first sight, the room I got in the annex building made a very good impression: flat screen TV, new and modern bathroom, design furniture. Unfortunately, the room was very small, the isolation is poor (noise inside buidling), no writing table, and the room was too cold. Stepping out of the bed onto the stone floor gave the same feeling as walking on a glacier. Overall, not a hotel I would recommend to my friends

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank hrn
Reviewed 19 January 2004

Last March my wife and I spent two nights at this , efficient family run hotel. As we are not skiers, Zermatt did not interest us except to see the Matterhorn.

Brig is not particularly quaint but it is a good staging area to see the Matterhorn and catch the Glacier Express to Chur.

We had a nice view and a quiet, comfortble, good sized room with private bath. Good place to catch up and not spend a fortune.

28  Thank FromBrazil71