“Nice lunch”

Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Stotfold
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a friendly local Country pub offering a homemade fresh food menu. We have a beautiful bright conservatory style Restaurant for you to dine in. We offer senior citizens meals weekdays 12.30 - 3.00pm We serve all day Saturday 12 - 9pm. Sunday Roast 12.00 - 4.00pm Along side are menu we offer a Specials Board. We have a Steak Night on a Tuesday and Wednesday & Fish & Chips night on Thursday and Friday. We offer warm open fires in the winter months for you to enjoy. In the warmer months we have a lovely pub garden with children's play area for you to eat in or enjoy a refreshing drink. Private functions and exclusive hire of our venue is available for weddings, parties, wakes. We offer a Buffet menu Option and are happy to cater for any special or dietary requirements.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited here with visitors from Germany who were keen to try the fish and chips. Fish was great, chips were OK, but the mushy peas were a brilliant green, which was bit off putting. However, our visitors liked it, so that was the most important.
Beers were fine.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Visited the pub for a Friday night relaxed meal out. The food was nice nothing amazing but nice for a simple pub meal, however the service was non-existent. the sauces we asked for during our meal never arrived. We then sat and waited for the desert menu that was offered by the waitress only for us to give up after 20 minutes. I wouldn't mind but there was only 1 other table in the restaurant and 2 waitresses not exactly run of their feet!

2  Thank Klord26
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Such a shame a lovely pub in a great village but NO community atmosphere....
We have attended this pub on more than one occasion for lunch or just drinks.
The food arrived late & cold and slow to serve drinks at other times..
I will not be returning at any point and also telling friends about our experience...

There are other community pubs in Stotfold like the "STAG" that make you feel welcomed!!!

2  Thank Richard D
Rob T, Owner at The Chequers, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hi "No community spirit"

As the owner of the Chequers we take feedback of our pub very seriously. Reading your review however gives me no detail of your visit to identify the mistakes you feel we have made. As you can see our previous reviews are very positive and I find it quite strange that a review as harsh as yours has appeared and yet no-one has given any such feedback to myself or any members of staff.

Not only that you give no description of this apparent lack of community spirit despite the fact this year we have raised well over £1000 for local charities.

Should you wish to discuss your visit in more detail please contact me on 01462 735 465.

Can't win them all eh!

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had friends staying for the weekend and decided to try the Sunday Roast... All I can say is 'Excellent!' The meal was extremely tasty and generous in its quantity. The service was good and staff polite and friendly. We will definitely be going back for seconds!! Keep up the good work guys.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The food at this place used to be beyond awful, however I had heard good things since the new owners came in so decided to give it a try last night. I was really pleased as stotfold needs somewhere that can do pub food well, and I can now say it does. Finally!!! Good simple pub food - I hope good word spreads as the staff were really nice also so I hope they make it a success.

2  Thank Burger2013