“Slow service”

Hostellerie de Geneve (Restaurant)
Ranked #26 of 107 Restaurants in Vevey
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2014

It's not the first time we visited this place.
However today service was dead-slow at least for our table. It took 1 hour from ordering to food being on the table.
The 3 of us ordered regular food like pizzas and a menu of the day.
We got our food way after the tables around us who's people came into the restaurant way after (like 30 min.) we did.
We brought this to the attention of the waiter who had nothing else to say then that we had a salad which takes much longer!
A strange answer considering that the salad bowls were standing ready to be served for a very long time on the counter.
The food quality was just OK but not more.
As I mentioned we had visited this place before and made much better experience than today.
Hopefully someone from the restaurant reads this and takes some actions.
The customer deserves better than that since the the price tag is in the upper range.

3  Thank Flacuchentos

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My colleagues wanted some Swiss food that did not involve cheese when we went for dinner, so we went walking around town until we came across this place. It's in the main square which unfortunately is one huge parking lot. I say this place is "typical Swiss" since it is one of those Swiss restaurants that serve a bit of everything: meat and potato meals, seafood, salads, pizza, pasta, wines, etc.

I would normally give this an average rating since I didn't find anything outstanding about this place, but the food was good and the servers were charming. I know it's always expensive to eat out in Switzerland (I did live there for more than 5 years), but this was still more on the high side for what you get. I just had a goat cheese salad and that put me back 29 francs.

Still, if price isn't an issue for you, you can count on a reliable meal here.

1  Thank GloJul
Reviewed 6 November 2013

seems like the place people hang out for lunch on their break, meeting of friends, we really enjoyed the restaurant, loads of little rooms, nice decor and comfortable seating. enough space, service is often missing in a restaurant but here it was excellent, there are various vegetarian options and the food if so tasty! the terrace looked like a great place to hang out but it was far too windy to do it on this trip. next time!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We enjoyed a beautiful lunch here, we sat in the dining area outside as the weather was beautiful. The restaurant was busy with a mix of local residents and tourists dining here, there is a good atmosphere here .The choices on the menu were extensive the wait staff were very good, importantly the food was extremely good. This restaurant was recommended by a resident of Vevey and we were not disappointed. If we visited Vevey again we would return to eat here.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

After having visited the charming (small) old town of Vevey and walked along the lake promenade, seen the fork, Chaplin's statue, and the Alimentarium museum (I highly recommend doing one of their cooking classes - they're great), we decided to stop for a late bite to eat. The Hostellerie served food until 15:00, so that was in our favour - hence our choice to eat there. While the location is indeed lovely - right on the market square, with views out onto the lake - the food isn't anything to write home about, to be honest. We had four dishes - 2 pasta dishes, a fresh goat cheese salad (that was good, actually), and the fish dish of the day. It was okay, but nothing extraordinary. The portion sizes were good, though - I'll give them that. The service was hot and cold: while the waitress initially came very quickly, getting her attention in an otherwise almost empty restaurant was nigh on impossible at times, given that she was off on a smoking break or busy futzing. The waiter was, in contrast, friendlier and less disgruntled. I don't want to be mean... Everyone is entitled to having an off day, and I just ended up feeling bad for asking for butter for our bread, for example - a little 'extra' that our daughters love. I'd say that I wouldn't recommend this restaurant outright for anything spectacular, but if you're just wanting to sit down for a decent warm meal and selection of dishes, then it's certainly passable. Prices are typically Swiss. I think we paid CHF 120 for 4 mains, 2 waters, and 2 iced teas... A bit steep, given the quality of the food/service, but then again... it's Switzerland, right?

1  Thank Christina C