“Excellent”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had lunch at Khana Mandir for the first time on Saturday... we were drawn in by the decor and were thrilled that we stopped here.

It has been a long time since I have had indian food in a restaurant and didn't have high expectations... I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The food was superb (the best tandoori shrimp ever).. and all the dishes were prepared carefully with excellent flavours and beautifully presented. The service was charming.

Maybe give some thought to the background music to create a little better ambience.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for high quality indian food and will definitely go again when I return to the area.

1  Thank Lynne B

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife being Indian by origin we have tried most Indian restaurants in the area, including neighbouring France. Khana Mandir is an excellent restaurant and in my opinion the best in the area. The food is very delicately flavoured and the spices are well balanced contrary to others. If you like your food spicy, they will gladly comply. The set lunches are particularly good value. The menu à la carte carries a good variety of dishes, the prices however tend to be on the high side. I however find that at times they adapt the cooking a little too much to the European taste, but that's very personal. The service is very friendly and professional, they certainly know their stuff. The decor is nice and sober and the terrace in summer is very agreable. So, if you feel an urge for Indian food, go to Khana Mandir, you will not be disappointed.

2  Thank Dominique D
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Am not in the habit of re-reviewing restaurants, but I am going to break the habit just this once! Reason being - the last meal I had here was quite simply one of the best meals I have eaten. Have been a couple of times this year and each time the food and service has gone up a notch. Delicious street-food nibbles offered with our drinks this time, followed by monkfish skewers, exquisitely spiced and perfectly cooked. Next, for me, beautiful prawns with a hint of coconut to the Indian spicing. I am afraid I can't do justice to the food with my descriptions, but if you are looking for a superior dining experience, you should head here. Dare I say it, should be no 1 in Nyon.

2  Thank LissyBtravels
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I have eaten at many good Indian restaurants but Khana Mandir must rate among one of our best ever. Their tandooris are superb. We dined there2 nights in a row and couldn't fault the food or the service. All the waiters were extremely friendly.

1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Why was it hard to believe I was in Switzerland? Well, apart from the prices, which are still very Swiss, we had good, no great, service, and as good a curry as you'd get anywhere in the UK. We arrived in a party of 14, which was in itself a feat. We were welcomed warmly, served with individual attention and were genuinely interested in getting us to come again. I've never experienced that since living here.
The food... The menu they hand you is upmarket, but give it straight back and just ask for whatever you want. They can probably do it. We had chicken madras (hot, medium and 'starter' strength!), tikka massala and a range of other mainstream curries, all with rice, spicy vegetables and naan bread. Don't be afraid to go 'hot'. Washed down with either draft or bottled Indian beers, this was like heaven.
We'll definitely be back. I just have to tick off ' a great Sunday roast' and I've exhausted the reasons for going back to the the UK.

1  Thank MelvinHopkirk