“Simply excellent”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

When it comes to Indian food, Khana Mandir is simply excellent. We travel a lot and as my wife is Indian by origin we are very discerning when it comes to Indian food. Finding a good Indian restaurant is no easy task and some are frankly simply terrible. This time, we had sheesh kebab and a lamb shank that was out of this world. First pan fried, then slow cooked for three hours before being finished in the tandoor, it was absolutely divine and served with a side sauce that was exceptional. We also had some Indian Ocean prawns that came in a coriander and coconut sauce. The prawns were the best we have had in a long time and the sauce excellent. Service is very friendly, a good choice of wines by the glass and prices are correct for such quality. Khana Mandir remains a must for Indian food lovers.

1  Thank Dominique D

Reviewed 31 July 2014

It's a great experience to visit this restaurant, Superb Indian food with a Swiss twist. The Chicken Tikha with Gruyere cheese is a pure delight. Great service in or out and a good wine list. I have been several times and thoroughly enjoyed each visit. It's busy and a booking is recommended.

1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I and my Husband were both amazed to find such an Indian restaurant outside of India (or London ;-)!

The decor is very design and light, faraway from the oppressive dark carved wood and red we found in Indian restaurant only in Europe.
Service is really friendly with two Indian waiters who really know their job.

Now the best part the food:
There is a mix of classic tandoori items (only one curry of the week) and special kind of fusion.
I went for Sanjay salad (green salad with chicken tikka and croutons) and Kalmi kaba, crispy and so tasteful!

My husband had a gruyère chicken tikka and then a beef tenderloin perfectly cooked (he said) in the tandoor. Main dishes were served with vegetables and rice or aloo tandoori. They served complimentary naans which was a good surprise.
Sizes were a little too big (for me at least).

The menu is not huge, but i always prefer that than a too long menu.
Prices are quite high but considering they serve veg, rice and naans with the main dish, it was correct.

If I have to give them an advice, I think that they should have 2 or 3 more desserts on the menu.

2  Thank Jayamumbai
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It gives an impression of an authentic restaurant but the food is nothing like authentic nor something to rave about. A rather simple food with not a variety of choice for an Indian restaurnt. I think it is too costly for the food being served. People are nice and friendly so I will not comment on the service. If you are restaurant lovers you can try it ones to add one extra to your list.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have been here many times and love it. If you are a spice lover, be sure to let the chefs know as the dishes are toned heat-wise down for local tastes. Fresh, authentic and delicious. Indian gourmet?

1  Thank pangexox