“Trying very hard, but....”
Review of Hotel Beau-Rivage

Hotel Beau-Rivage
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Nyon
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I spend four nights with a group of friends in this hotel, though I live 10Km down the lake. I know Nyon pretty well and was sure that this would be the best hotel in town. Maybe it is...but then I am disappointed.
Let's start positive; the location is great! The entrance side of the hotel is on a nice street filled with restaurants, bars and cute shops and only a short stroll (uphill) away from the Chateau. The lake side in on the boulevard and gives great view towards the Alps and the lake.
The staff is very polite and helpful. The bar only opens at 16:30, but if you want to start drinking earlier, there are plenty of public bars around.
Great breakfast!! We didn't have dinner, but the menu looked good.
But then....the building itself. Should have been renovated years ago! I like a classical style (though prefer modern), but this was just outdated, dusty (not litterally!) and not cozy. I had a very nice spacious room (suite) overlooking the lake and the bed slept wonderful, but the whole feel to it....old!
A problem I did not face persoanlly; my room was located on the first floor, which is a smoking floor. My room was fine and I smelled nothing, but some of my friends got offered rooms on the same floor that smelled like you entered a ashtray! They did get move to other rooms on a different floor though!

Room Tip: Be sure to get lake view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 January 2013

My parents had once stayed at the hotel and I remembered it as being a genteel, slightly frayed but trying hard, nicely located small hotel. Not so. It is dirty, the service is rude, the food at breakfast dull (although not awful, to be fair), and it is depressing beyond expectation. It being Switzerland and close to Geneva, needless to say it is not cheap. There have to be other options in and around Nyon. Any suggestions?

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pcinrj
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This must have been a swish place 20 years ago. But the expression 'seen better days' might have been invented for this hotel. Staff friendly and efficient. Bed fine. Bathroom and furniture from another age. Time to renovate, guys.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

I was very unhappy when I stayed here 2 years ago - tiles missing from the bathroom floor, unfriendly staff, I was given the remote control for the heating upon check-in and when I asked for hairdryer because the one in my room wasn't working, they wanted to charge a refundable deposit in case I did not return it. I wasn't too thrilled when my company booked me there again but it has improved.
The room I had on the 4th floor had been renovated and although it wasn't large, it was very comfortable. The mattress, pillows and duvet were comfortable and the bed linen clean and crisp. There was free wireless internet. For some reason, the iPhone internet vouchers expired after 24 hours, so I had to pick up a new one every evening but the voucher for the laptop was valid through my stay. Free Nespresso coffee in the room gave a welcoming touch.
Unfortunately the lift only went as high as the 3rd floor, so I had to lug my bags up the stairs. Having said that, I asked for help on my departure and the gentleman at the reception carried my large suitcase down for me. The walls were rather thin; I could hear people talking on either side of the room - that was the only thing that really bothered me.
The staff were friendly and helpful, which was a big contrast to my last visit and it seemed to be a company policy.
Good breakfast and location.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Stayed for two nights in november 2012. The hotel is situated very nicely by the lake Leman (Geneva lake), just with the main road between the lake and the hotel. Room was okay, we had a little balcony from where we could see the lake, but the decoration and interior of the hotel was pretty old and worn out. The staff at the front desk was helpful and so was the waitors at the breakfast room, breakfast not that great but ok. Bathroom old fashioned but it worked.
So all in all for a short business trip the hotel works out well.
If you have a couple of hours to spend while staying in Nyon, take the ferry across the lake to the very charming village Yvoir on the French side of the lake, the boat leaves from the pier two minutes from the hotel, ferry schedule you can get at the front desk. The hotel gave us a complimentary ride with the hotel car to the railway station, very good service - and the train is very convenient, when you are flying in to Nyon by the Geneva airport. Train leaves from the airport and takes you to Nyon in 30 minutes. Hotel is about 10 minutes of walk from the Nyon train station.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the lake, wonderful view of the lake and the french alps.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Have stayed here several times on business and have never been disappointed. The staff is always friendly and welcoming and will do anything they can to make your stay great. Breakfast is great especially considering it is included in the price. Location is wonderful (a nice plus for business travelers). Have stayed for both short and longer term visits and will come back again.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed one night at Beau Rivage whilst on business. It's a lovely old building in a great location in a lovely town. The position on the shores of Lac Leman is fantastic.

Good points:
- the people were lovely. Accommodating when we arrived late and friendly.
- the breakfast was excellent and included in the price rather than an extra CHF 30, as some Geneva hotels charge.
- the aircon in the room was epic on a very warm night. The day either side was in excess of 30 deg C.
- A minibus that gave me a lift to the office. Excellent.
- Toiletries - loads in the room free of charge.

Could do better:
- No iron available or trouser press in the room. Not acceptable for a business traveller.
- The lighting in the room was harsh. All of the bulbs were halogen spotlights, even he reading light next to the bed which kicked out a lot of heat.
- the room decor was pale and neither traditional or modern. The lighting didn't help.
- Price. The same as an equivalent hotel in central Geneva.

This is basically a good hotel with some details that would be easy to fix, especially as the staff are very welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2012