“Utter bliss!”

Grand Hotel Kronenhof
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Pontresina
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have just returned from the Kronenhof, following our third stay in as many years. This hotel is by far one of the very best in the world: from the service (whether it be in the hotel, the outstanding spa or the excellent restaurant), to the atmosphere, the whole experience is 5 star. The building and gardens are stunning, and have been renovated sympathetically, the original decor complemented by the (discreet) addition of modern conviniences. The 'Wellness' Spa delivers just that, and the facilities are outstanding. The rooms are pristine, and everything one can think of is provided. Breakfast and dinner in the grand restaurant are divine, and all the staff are just fantasic. The surrounding area (the Val Bernina and the Engadin) is a playground for walkers of all abilities, with the climate and unique landscape home to a wide variety of flora and fauna. And that's not to mention the idyllic Unesco World Heritage train ride up to Pontresina ... breathtaking! Our advice, go (your only regret will be having to leave at the end of your stay)!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in the world. The atmosphere and ambience. The beautiful views. The fantastic facilities. The beautiful grand restaurant and the food it serves. Also which I have to mention is the outstanding staff and service.

I was not booked in for dinner that evening at the restaurant Kronenstübli, which was my fault as I had not told the staff. When I asked them quite late in the evening they had called and told me it was booked out.

The staff had offered me a jacket and no extra charge to eat at the grand restaurant from my half board inclusion. This restaurant was an amazing experience and that evening there was an unbelievable good dessert buffet on offer.

Also I have to mention is the outstanding Pool / Sauna / Relaxation Area. It had given me a recharge after a long drive in to Pontresina through the amazing Mountain passes nearby from Zurich.

I am not surprised that the hotel won the award for the best hotel in the world on TripAdvisor for 2014.

I will definitely be back again soon.

Thanks for the pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Being a young couple who likes to enjoy fine, tasty and cozy style of life, this was definitely the perfect way of relaxing To start with an amazing view, elegant rooms and neverending storical building. A wellness area full of surprises and perfect decorated, it was worth a trip back to the Engadin. I can only reccomend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Patricia R
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is not only a hotel, it is a whole story.
Amazing beautiful views and surroundings, very elegant and refined decoration,splendid spa area, delicious, really tasty food..... but the true masterpiece of the story is the personnel , the staff is doing such a great job you could hardly expect these days in services area. They are restless in making you feel so welcome and important , no matter what is the issue.
All in all if you want a memorable escape/ski trip/vacation , you will find here the perfect place.
They really are one of the best I have seen .
Special thanks and best regards to Violetta and Davide, they made our stay more sweet and warm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view over the Engadine valley, east side .
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rusticromania
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Kronenhof where I joined my grandfather for one week of holidays. Coming from Zurich Airport the access is very easy by train (to Chur and then to Samedan where the hotel transfer can pick you up). I absolutely enjoyed every moment of our stay.

Coming here since I am little I enjoyed much the total renovation of the Spa which is incredible now. The swimming pool with underwater music, the different hamams (normal and salt hamam), the relaxation bath, the different saunas (normal and bio sauna) were all great!

Breakfast is delicious (fresh fruit, figs, different breads, lots of cheeses, yoghurts, porridge, different kind of teas). At night we enjoyed the delicious dinners in the Grand Restaurant with the beautiful music from the pianist (we could even ask our favorite songs) and also had dinner twice at the Kronenstübli where they serve on wednesday the Tafelspitz which I would absolutely recommend. The staff in both restaurants is so kind and helpful.

The rooms are very clean and quiet. During the day I enjoyed the sun at the terrace of the Pavilion with a beautiful view on the mountains.

As a fourth generation coming to the Kronenhof, I would absolutely recommend this hotel. Food, service, ambiance, interior, spa, you will have an unforgettable stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank 59emiliej
Reviewed 30 March 2014

As a young, same-sex couple who would not normally have the resources for such luxury, we were delighted to find that we were made to feel entirely welcome by each member of the team.

We were staying at the Grand Hotel Kronenhof for numerous special occasions: the flights to Zurich were a birthday present to my partner, our stay at the hotel was a Christmas present to him, our visit was planned to coincide with my own birthday – and I had secret plans to propose to him! We shall never forget the great experience we had, the ways in which the team worked hard to ensure perfection.

The fact that we could not speak German or Italian was not a problem; everyone spoke English very well and we were treated with courtesy, grace and good humour. In particular the Concierge went to extreme lengths for us, managing to organise the hand delivery of an engagement ring to me without giving away the secret. They drove to Pontresina station to collect a person who had flown from London with the ring, and provided him with a place to hide in the Salon Bleu while we were on our way back from skiing. They also liaised with the ski rental shop and ski school in advance of our stay, ensuring we had good equipment and an excellent instructor, Alberto, who was patient, encouraging and spoke English fluently.

The facilities were first-rate. I belong to Virgin Active Health Clubs in London, which is a desirable and well-regarded brand of fitness centres, and they use exactly the same brand of gym equipment, both weights and machines. The difference was that I had the gym area to myself each morning, and a breathtaking view of the mountains. We also had full access to the spa, which consisted of several different rooms beyond the main swimming pool (with music playing underwater!) and hot tub. There was a silent room with waterbeds and pine scent where we would always meditate after our time in the spa, enjoying the view and feeling blessed.

Dining was exquisite. The policy of formal dress for dinner in the Grand Restaurant was fitting, as the full effect of the elegant setting and discipline of service would not have been felt without that level of participation from the guests. My partner works in fashion, so he was keen to dress up (our hanging bag broke en route because we had over-packed it), but we never felt overdressed. We were offered four courses each night, in addition to a cheese selection, coffees and petits fours, and we were pleased that they catered to my "pescatarian" diet and permitted selections from the low-fat menu as part of the main meal.

Finally, we felt flattered to have the Hotel Manager welcome us on arrival and speak with us each evening, as well as on departure. The Pianist played a particular piece at dinner that we had not heard before and came to love. He played it for us on request in the main room immediately after we returned from lunch (we were still dressed in partial ski-wear!) as a newly-engaged couple.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit Pontresina from Zurich, we strongly recommend the train from Chur. Not only is it the safest way of travelling up the mountains, but the views from either side of the carriage justify the UNESCO World Heritage status. To avert the hassle of our changing trains at Samedan, the team drove us to and from Samedan station rather than Pontresina station, helped us with our luggage and provided us with bottled water.

Even though I am not used to treating us to five-star hotels, I believe the level of service we received actually made the visit excellent value. Sleep Quality has been marked "Very Good" because the room was slightly too hot on the first night – but as soon as we mentioned it, as we could not find a thermostat, they changed it for us and we slept extremely well thereafter. Besides that tiny, momentary confusion, I don't know how the holiday could have been any better!

Room Tip: Our Junior Suite Comfort was on the south side, with plenty of floorspace, stunning views of the mou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Thomas F
Reviewed 20 March 2014

A visit to the Spa, followed by dinner at the Kronenstübli was a real treat ! The moon shine Spa experience is just unbelievable with an unique alpine scenery you will not find anywhere else. Food - homard à la presse, service and ambiance was fabulous. For sure we will be back soon !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 944RobertK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontresina
Hotel Schloss Pontresina Family & Spa
Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains St. Moritz
Kulm Hotel St. Moritz
Kulm Hotel St. Moritz
#3 of 33 in St. Moritz

Been to Grand Hotel Kronenhof? Share your experiences!