“The most wonderful hotel for a skiing holiday”

Ferienart Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Saas-Fee
Reviewed 4 February 2010

We were initially booked into their sister hotel 4 star but we had to be moved by our travel operator and were upgraded to their 5 star hotel. It was such a pleasure to stay there. Accommodation is not cheap but you certainly get value for money. The food was absolutely delicious. The service was 2nd to none - they couldnt do enough for you. The hotel is very spread out but thats what makes it. So many nooks and crannys to relax or walk around. The spa was something to die for - it was so relaxing - a big pool with sun loungers around it, many steam baths and saunas and resting areas. Appetisers were laid out in the spa about 6pm which was a nice touch. Choice of 3 restaurants to eat in without paying any extra. We paid for 1/2 board but you might as well call it full board. So much variety for breakfast. Small lunch in the hotel or if you could go into their mountain restaurant up the mountain you could have their set meal at no extra cost, then cakes at 4pm in the piano bar and then 6 courses for evening meal. You could eat as much as you like for breakfast, lunch and cake including the buffet salad which was one of the 6 courses for evening meal. Their staff would drive us to the ski lifts every 1/4hr and pick us up. This was a luxury as we could have easily walked. The rooms are something to die for too. We had a very large room with alot of storage space to hang clothes and even a double circular bath in the middle of the bedroom with lighting for any occasion. A place for families if you can afford it as the hotel seem to cater for kindergarten facilities or a place for a romantic break with the spa and treatments after a good days skiing and romantic bathing area in the bedroom. I even liked the idea of the bedding pulled down at night and they left us a chocolate each upon our return at the end of the evening and a bottle of water each morning

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 January 2010

from outside it is hotel as any other in the village center, but inside - wow. Pure pleasant. Roomy, stylish, everything is from wood. Very friendly staff, very good kitchen from the morning to the night. You can stay all day in the hotel and eat and eat... But don't do it, 5 minutes from the hotel is cableway and beautiful slopes.
The spa & indoor pool are great. warm water, fireplace and bar, many private saunas. Mhhh
We were there twice in December, for a few days. And I hope I'll be back as soon as possible :-)
But beware - don't take a room there with "just" colleague! Open bath in the centre of the room looks amazing, but it is not too common for bussines colleagues. Ferienart is marvellous place for family holiday (with separate room for kids) or honeymoon.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We booked this hotel with some trepidation as some of the earlier Trip Advisor reports were less than complimentary, however we wanted a 5 star hotel in the Valais region and this was a very cost effective package.

The hotel was an absolute pleasure - the room was clean and spacious even with a fold up bed for a 5 year old. The food in both Cesar Ritz and Del Ponte was extremely good. All activities were included at no extra cost, includng an extensive children's package (which we did not utilise). The cable car ticket which the hotel provided saved us a fortune in excursions.

The only criticism I would have on a personal level is that having the bath in the bedroom prevented me from escaping with a book for a bath for half an hour per evening, and the service in Cesar Ritz at some of the speciality dinners was a little slow - when you have a tired 5 year old, dinner needs to be a little quicker. However, for couples travelling without children, the hotel should be a complete delight.

The service from all staff was excellent and the facilities extensive.

We will definately be booking again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We have just got back from a week's stay here with our two children (6 and 5). I have to say that the reviews on here, and even the hotel's website, do not do this hotel justice.

We stayed in the rainbow wing, and the rooms were lovely (if a bit hot). Slightly odd to have the bath in the same room as the bed (and a hot bath at night can make the room a bit hot!) but all very comfortable.

The hotel is like a tardis - much bigger than it looks - and has a lovely spa - with a good pool, and all the usual sauna/whirlpools etc plus some extra surprises.

The childcare facilities were not huge (a small playroom) but the staff were lovely and the programme was extensive (if not always clearly explained). The all day circus school was a highlight - but they also took them off to play mini golf, etc.

At dinner, the children could either eat with us (dashing off to the playroom when they got bored) or have kids tea, which included cooking suasages red indian style in a tipi and making their own pizza.

The food was very good - we ate in the main restaurant each night, and the food was varied - although at least 5 courses, it never felt too heavy. Half board seemed a bargain, as it also included a snack lunch and cakes mid afternoon. They also laid on a special picnic lunch on day at a lovely woodland spot, and on another day we had breakfast (with eggs and everything) by the river - none of this was extra.

Any complaints? We struggled a bit to start with because we did not speak German, but the staff were very happy to help if we asked. We did feel that the information (on things like lift passes) could have been given automatically, but in the end we concluded that you just had to ask, which was fine.

There was building work going on - whcih we had been warned about. It meant that the builders started at 7 am every morning, which would have disturbed us had we not been travelling with young children! It is diffuclt to moan about this, because we were warned and could have changed hotel, but it was not ideal. Rooms were also a bit noisy at night, but that was because of groups of teenagers walking through the town, not anything to do with the hotel.

If you were travelling without children, you might have felt that the 2 hours a day when children were banned from the pool area was not long enough, but of course that suited us rather well. And I had a rather tame massage.

All in all, however, a lovely hotel and one that seems to have not got the credit it desires.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a skiing week in February 2009. My husband is an advanced skier who will not give up his yearly ski trip and therefore I decided to take it up in Saas Fee ski school.

Child Care:
We are a family of 4, with 2 children aged 9 years and 20 months. It was important for us to have some form of childcare for the 20 month old so that I could take my ski lessons. The hotel website is somehow vague about child care for this age, but assures you a professional baby sitting service when required. When we got there I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there was a supervised play room from 09:00 to 13:00 hrs. Unfortuntaely, this was understaffed due to sickness and the hotel did not provide with an additional carer during the whole week we were there which was one of the busiest in the season as many children were off school. The play area is far too small and I did complain about this; they just asked me to fill in their satisfaction questionnaire! Many parents felt the same way.

Food:
Excellent! Stick to the main restaurant for dinner as it varies greatly every day and it is close to gourmet food. We had a full board package as with young children is best. You can ask for your dining table near the play room, which stays open all day, and your small children can be in and out of it leaving you with some breathing space while you eat.

Service:
Overall very good, and particularly friendly

Overall Atmosphere:
Nice and relaxed

Deco:
In my opinion what can be expected from a Swiss/German ski resort. Although rated 5 star the deco is not exactly stylish and I am definitely unsure about the open bath area.

Spa:
If yu are happy to pay the extra money, the spa is definitely worth a visit. Back massage and facial totally recommended; The pool however was not the strongest point. Relatively small, it would be super busy just before 6 pm, after which time children under 16 are not allowed. Also, being only 5'2'', I found it extremely difficult to stand with my baby in the pool; I had to tiptoe in order to make it!

Comfort:
Beds were ok, not great. Pillows extremely soft and the hotel does not offer any variety. Child's extra bed very lumpy. Baby cot was ok.

Nice Factor:
Cakes served between 3:30 and 5:00 pm to welcome you after a hard day skiing.

Saas Fee is a beautiful little village and the hotel is well located within the village central area. A 5-10 minute walk takes you to the slopes but he hotel also operates a free ski bus every 15 minutes or so.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Marta333
Reviewed 26 January 2009

We have been going to this hotel in the lovely village of Saas-Fee for the last 4 years. For us it lives up to its name of being the most luxurious hotel of the village. Especially the spa is great, as it is very spacious, clean & modern and has many different facilities. I do not know any better place to get some rest after a day in the snow.
Regarding the rooms it seems best to get at least the luxurious room (which we take every time). From other reviews I understand that the standard rooms are a bit dated. You could argue this for the public areas of the hotel also, but for us the mainly wooden interior is part of the charm.
Nothing much to say about the food as we only take our breakfast at the hotel. There are to many nice restaurants to have some great local food. The breakfast is really good, no complaints there.
Finally about the service. I must agree that if the staff knows you are paying for a more expensive room they do an extra effort. In general the service is correct, but maybe not as friendly/spontanious as you would get is smaller hotels in Saas-Fee (some of which we also visited).

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pclijsters
Reviewed 23 January 2009

Maybe I was expecting too much, but in retrospect, and, already during our stay, I was disappointed by the lack of service and personal commitment of the staff. This is my main point of criticism.

The hotel itself is superb. It has a great location, and is five-star in terms of its spa facilities and its cuisine. The rooms in the older part of the building could do with some modernisation, but all in all it lives up to its name.

In chronological order: we arrived, were immediately served a welcome drink which was very nice, and were informed about the hotel and the surroundings by one of the front office staff members. What was a bit irritating was that the contents of the package we booked was mentioned in front of other guests, since the welcome was held in a group. I didn't really think everyone needed to know what we had booked - just out of reasons of discretion.

The tour through the hotel which then followed was done extremely fast. Naturally, we had to ask for information because we had either not heard it or because certain things were not explained enough (e.g. how long is the spa open, when is dinner, and with our special package, were we aloud to eat in different restaurants other than where we had our reservation, etc.).

The room was prepared and nice, with a balcony overlooking the mountains: this was entirely fine and good.

I also have to make a large compliment towards the spa manager who was just about the only really friendly person in the entire hotel. With all others I got the impression that every question asked (and I am not the one to ask for much) was just too much.

We happened to want to leave at a time where the road to Visp was closed due to avalanches so we had to stay another night. We were informed only when WE asked, and were also curious about how the rates for the next night would be handled. Again, we were pushed aside with the comment from the front desk: "Mrs. X can give you more information on this, but right now she's on the telephone", while the guy stared at his computer. It was always up to us to ask, and I really expect more from a 5-star hotel.

I work for a hotel company that has 4 and 5-star hotels. I have been far better treated in our 4-star hotels than in this one. I may have a keener eye on certain things, but my partner was also pretty enervated. It was even almost too much to ask for a piece of birthday cake on his birthday (the comment was more or less: "We'll see what we can do"). I did get the cake at dinner for him, but it took some effort.

The check-out went fine, except that we were handed a copy of the bill and that was it - no goodbye or "thank you for staying with us". So we just walked out and I guess nobody cared.

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone who is going on a cheap offer. The more you spend, the more humanely you are treated. I find this very conceited and not at all what I would expect from a 5-star hotel - I would expect the very opposite.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Kritik_2009