“wonderful”

Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Saas-Fee
Spalding, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

just spent a week at one of the nicest hotels i have been, the area is beautiful and all the staff are just brilliant from the porter who collects you at the bus station to the reception staff,waiting staff,housekeeping etc etc.the food was excellent 4 courses of perfectly cooked and presented food.the rooms are excellent we had a glacier view well worth the extra,the bath and shower are so invigorating.this place is a must do sometime in your life or else you will be missing out

Room Tip: get a glacier room you wont regret it
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keeble954031

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very impressed with the Hotel du Glacier, and indeed with Saas Fee. The hotel is situated pretty much in the middle of the town, which in a sense is ideal as it’s not too far from anywhere. Unfortunately the two main lifts are on the edge of the town, which is a good 10 minute trek carrying skis. Even longer if you’re carrying two pairs of skis and have a wife dragging her heels behind you. There are some funny little buses and an even more peculiar little train that stop about 50 metres from the hotel and deposit you at the slopes, but they’re not regular enough, or at least they weren’t in January 2012, when a strong Swiss Franc resulted in a ghostly quiet resort.

The rooms at du Glacier are spacious with excellent bathrooms, and in my case a balcony with an outstanding view of one of the most picturesque parts of the alps. A DVD player is a welcome addition (there are a decent selection of DVDs available to loan from reception), as was the inclusion of a fridge. In fact the only problem with the room was the pillow. The first time I put my head on it I had to check it was still there. It simply disappeared. Squished to nothing! I rang reception and had an extra one sent up, but even with one on top of the other they still vanished under the weight of my noggin. Eventually I bound the two pillows together using the waist ties from our dressing gowns and produced an object that looked rather like a boiled sweet. Impressed with my engineering prowess I fell soundly asleep.

The spa area is especially good. Obviously a pool would have been nice, but the three little Jacuzzis, two saunas and a steam room create a pleasant and relaxing environment, just what you need after a day on the slopes. I never did work out why there were two saunas. I suspected that guests may be permitted to wear swimwear in one of them but wasn’t sure. To be on the safe side I remained in the buff (which as well as being more hygienic is indisputably more fun).

The food is as good as you get from a skiing hotel. I was delighted to find a large bowl of Bircher Muesli at the breakfast buffet, and I thoroughly recommend that future guests seek it out. It was delicious. Dinner was a fairly formal affair, with a choice being given at breakfast and then served at a time of your choosing. The choice was fairly limited, but I was never disappointed when it arrived. In fact, other than the ridiculous pillows I was not disappointed at all with the Hotel du Glacier and would be surprised if you are either.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Wow! We absolutely loved staying at this hotel!! We had the most amazing 2-bedroomed suite which was perfect for a family and a real luxury in skiing terms. The staff were great, the restaurant in particular was very accommodating and brilliant with our kids. The spa facilities sadly didn't include a pool, and you had to pay to use one at the hotel over the road.
The childcare however, was amazing. Again at the hotel over the road but all free of charge and the kids had a great time.
The resort of Saas-Fee is also beautiful. I would highly recommend both the hotel and the resort. We loved it so much we considered going back during the Easter break, but the costs were prohibitive. Never mind, maybe next time... :)

Room Tip: If you can get a 2-room suite, it is really worth it!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My Partner and I stayed at the hotel du Glacier for 1 week back in late February 2012 early March (sorry for the late report, been a bit busy). The hotel was very pleasant and clean. The room we were allocated was both clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable, although if you are tall like me, the bed has a footer. TV mostly did don’t speak English (3 channels, sky news, CNN and a further BBC entertainment channel; however you could borrow DVD’s etc from reception. We further had a fridge in the room to keep the beer cold.

We stayed on a half board basis; breakfast was normal western affair, eggs, bacon, cereal, fruit, fresh bread etc. All done very well. The bar areas were both relaxing and comfortable. A smoking room was also offered for those of us that still smoke.

The hotel also had a second restaurant, below, a steak house. One of the best burgers I have ever eaten was to be found in that restaurant.

We only had one complaint, (the hotel staff, had no control over this) and that is the children seemed to be allowed to run riot throughout the hotel, the parents seem to have no control or chose to allow it (bless their hearts).

The hotel has a ski locker room and apparently a spa (I don’t do spa’s), the hotel also has a ski hire shop opposite, and iv very central for all the shops and stuff. All in all – a recommended hotel.

Room Tip: I got a corner room with two views of the mountain.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Far North Queensland
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My two daughters travelled here at the end of November as part of a 2 month European trip. We had been advised that snow was guarenteed all year. Unfortunately for us this was the one year there was no snow. The girls did get to ski on the glacier but not ideal for beginners. This is just bad luck. The hotel itself is really nice. We had like a small apartment with a sitting room. The food was good. The only thing I would say is check the snow situation before you go as was a 3 hour trek from Geneva airport after a long flight and unfortunately most things had limited opening as the season was not really underway . Highly reccomend the hotel

Room Tip: Check the season times and the likelihood of snow or you could find yourself like us with most thing...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were a group of people taking up a few twin rooms and a single. All were of a good size. There is a fridge in the room.

Good location in town with the supermarket, rental shops and restaurants near by and not too far to walk to the ski lifts.

We ate in the Feeloch restaurant one evening and had a superb meal. The staff were fun too! Just make sure you don't end up sat right by the oven as I was roasting and only had on a small t-shirt.

Breakfast was one of the best I have come across in this price range hotel in Switzerland.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here as part of an Inghams package holiday - so we don't have a direct opinion of the costs. The hotel tariff through this package included a pass that gave free access to all cable cars, chair lifts etc and the local buses. Reckon this saved us £300.
This is a delightful, traditional hotel. It is near the centre of Saas Fee but not right in it and the rooms were quiet. We paid extra for a small balcony but this wasn't good value as, by the time we got back from our walking each day, it was in shade. We had half (?) board, which included excellent breakfasts, packed lunches and a four course evening meal - all excellent quality. Buying extras at the evening meal was expensive (alcohol, coffee and PLEASE NOTE - water!). Reception and catering staff were all very friendly and helpful. I lost my passport and they were very helpful then. There is an outdoor bar area which is very pleasant to sit in over a beer in the afternoon sunshine.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple