“A year too late”
Review of Hotel du Golf

Hotel du Golf
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Last year I had a chance to visit Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland. I blindly booked a room at Hotel du Golf. That I hit the jackpot is an understatement. A smiling, courteous staff greeted me and I was in my room within no time. The front desk manger was kind enough to give me a complimentary upgrade to the valley view room, By the time I came down for dinner, I found out that the restaurant was closed for the night. That was no problem since I had my dietary restrictions. Once again the front desk manager was cooperation personified. We both went to the kitchen, and he helped me prepare a meal.
The room was extremely comfortable. The bath room was spacious and well laid out. I enjoyed the soak in the king size tub. Excellent choice of toiletries, I must say. The complimentary breakfast was fabulous. My only regret was that I just had one day there as it was a business trip and I had to move on. Before my check out I had wanted certain information, and again the front desk obliged me to the extent that he used his personal cell phone to make calls to get me the information I required. Undoubtedly the best stay I ever had in a hotel. the dates of my visit were probably 8th-9th May, 2011.

Room Tip: Choose a room with valley view, it is fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank zulufire

Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at the Hotel du Golf for 1 week in February. The Staff were, in the main, friendly except in the downstairs restaurant where they serve fondue. The food in the main restaurant is very good but very expensive if you are not half board. However, to be fair, it is very expensive wherever you eat in Villars, even 2 Pizzas were around £40. The hotel does not have coffee making facilities in the room and so you have to pay around £3.50 every time you want one. We had a balcony which gave us fantastic views, we would recommend that you ask for a top floor room though so you do not have people above you. The room was very basic but comfortable and clean. The hotel is close to the train station where you have to catch a train to get up the mountains for ski-ing. There is a large room in the basement for your ski boots and ski’s so you don’t have to take them up to your room. The ski area is not huge so you may get a bit bored if you are there for a whole week. If you do not drive from Geneva airport the trip can be very long, we had to get a train and then a bus. All in all we could have flown to the USA for the same time it took us to get to Villars.

Room Tip: Go for Top Floor with Balcony
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Very dated furnishings.

I stayed as part of a tour group, and I and & other singles were given awful small room facing the road, whereas couple were given valley views. I wasn't prepared to stay in this box with a shared balcony for 3 nights so I complained (which I very rarely do), and I was moved to a massive room 4-5 times the size of the original box. Whilst I am thankful for that, even then I must say that the rooms were very dated, and all the furniture including the beds creaked. It seemed that money hadn't been spent on the hotel for some time. Of course I don't know what the standard of accomodation was like in other hotels in Villars, which to be fair is a village. I would never stay there again, unless on another tour and didn't have a choice.

Most of the staff were friendly & helpful (eg suggesting a cogwheel railway which run up to the summit of a mountain with fantastic views, and providing free vouchers to do this was very welcome).

I just expect a minimum level of quality in the accommodation I stay in, and this fell well short of what I expect & accept.

Room Tip: Book a valley view room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Sawnbay
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Huge rooms, great breakfast and the spa was really nice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2011

First visited in December 2005 with another family and fell in love with the hotel as well as the village. The rooms are unexpectedly large for a ski hotel. Great storage room, always had hot water, space for a third bed for our daughter and still room for a chair to sit an collapse in. Choose a room looking over the valley and you get a great terrace. Day or night the views are spectacular and hugely atmospheric. The family-run atmosphere is genuine and warm. There are several lounge areas and a cosy bar, all of which have corners to hang out in and order tea or wine or whatever. The kids were happy to wander about and set themselves up with a game or a book.
The restaurant is large and perhaps a little functional, but there is atmosphere and the set menus are generous
Located a short stumble across from the route up the mountain and an easy stride into town, this may not be glitz, but it certainly has character an warmth. And we thought it was very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor looking over the valley, not to the street.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank FilmTraveller
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We spent very nice time at this hotel. Rooms are rather rustic for a 4 star hotel, but the SPA is great and staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Very large rooms, a good spa unit, friendly staff. Very central, just a few steps to the train that takes you to the ski area. Easy skiing in a big area. Excellent breakfasts, lunch and dinner traditional Swiss, i.e. a bit formal- There are plenty of alternatives within 5 minutes walking in Villars.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Retired_Stockevik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villars-sur-Ollon
Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
Grand Hotel Des Bains
Grand Hotel Des Bains
#1 of 1 in Lavey-les-Bains
Hotel Le Grand Chalet

Been to Hotel du Golf? Share your experiences!