“Delightful 4 Star Hotel”
Review of Hotel du Golf

Hotel du Golf
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Delightful 4 Star Hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Perfectly located in the heart of Villars sur Ollon, the four star Hotel du Golf is good at any time of year, and especially good value between the end of the ski season and the start of summer. We booked ahead and were offered a 20% reduction on a room and breakfast for three nights (01-04 May 2012), with use of the Spa—normally CHF 50-60 per day—included. Effective WiFi is available throughout the hotel, but it’s one of those systems that may require re-setting your connection for outgoing mail from a mail client. Receiving mail on two different mail clients was straightforward.
We were allocated Room 201 at the south end of the building; one of only two rooms with a wrap-around balcony on two sides of the room, affording views of the Dents du Midi across the valley, and the mountains to the south. All rooms are large, with spacious bathrooms en suite, a safe and minibar. All aspects of the accommodation are to a very well maintained, high standard.
The only slight drawback was that, although a generous buffet breakfast was included, the restaurant was closed to occasional guests at other times of day—though dinner was served to groups. However, this was no problem as there are several restaurants in the village, two of which are almost opposite the hotel. Our preference was for the Rotisserie des Alpes, where we dined each night. Their menu, winelist and service were all first class.
If you just want to sample Swiss hospitality in the most economic way possible, the Hotel du Golf is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony facing the Dents du Midi
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Last year I had a chance to visit Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland. I blindly booked a room at Hotel du Golf. That I hit the jackpot is an understatement. A smiling, courteous staff greeted me and I was in my room within no time. The front desk manger was kind enough to give me a complimentary upgrade to the valley view room, By the time I came down for dinner, I found out that the restaurant was closed for the night. That was no problem since I had my dietary restrictions. Once again the front desk manager was cooperation personified. We both went to the kitchen, and he helped me prepare a meal.
The room was extremely comfortable. The bath room was spacious and well laid out. I enjoyed the soak in the king size tub. Excellent choice of toiletries, I must say. The complimentary breakfast was fabulous. My only regret was that I just had one day there as it was a business trip and I had to move on. Before my check out I had wanted certain information, and again the front desk obliged me to the extent that he used his personal cell phone to make calls to get me the information I required. Undoubtedly the best stay I ever had in a hotel. the dates of my visit were probably 8th-9th May, 2011.

Room Tip: Choose a room with valley view, it is fantastic.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank zulufire
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at the Hotel du Golf for 1 week in February. The Staff were, in the main, friendly except in the downstairs restaurant where they serve fondue. The food in the main restaurant is very good but very expensive if you are not half board. However, to be fair, it is very expensive wherever you eat in Villars, even 2 Pizzas were around £40. The hotel does not have coffee making facilities in the room and so you have to pay around £3.50 every time you want one. We had a balcony which gave us fantastic views, we would recommend that you ask for a top floor room though so you do not have people above you. The room was very basic but comfortable and clean. The hotel is close to the train station where you have to catch a train to get up the mountains for ski-ing. There is a large room in the basement for your ski boots and ski’s so you don’t have to take them up to your room. The ski area is not huge so you may get a bit bored if you are there for a whole week. If you do not drive from Geneva airport the trip can be very long, we had to get a train and then a bus. All in all we could have flown to the USA for the same time it took us to get to Villars.

Room Tip: Go for Top Floor with Balcony
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Very dated furnishings.

I stayed as part of a tour group, and I and & other singles were given awful small room facing the road, whereas couple were given valley views. I wasn't prepared to stay in this box with a shared balcony for 3 nights so I complained (which I very rarely do), and I was moved to a massive room 4-5 times the size of the original box. Whilst I am thankful for that, even then I must say that the rooms were very dated, and all the furniture including the beds creaked. It seemed that money hadn't been spent on the hotel for some time. Of course I don't know what the standard of accomodation was like in other hotels in Villars, which to be fair is a village. I would never stay there again, unless on another tour and didn't have a choice.

Most of the staff were friendly & helpful (eg suggesting a cogwheel railway which run up to the summit of a mountain with fantastic views, and providing free vouchers to do this was very welcome).

I just expect a minimum level of quality in the accommodation I stay in, and this fell well short of what I expect & accept.

Room Tip: Book a valley view room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sawnbay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Huge rooms, great breakfast and the spa was really nice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

First visited in December 2005 with another family and fell in love with the hotel as well as the village. The rooms are unexpectedly large for a ski hotel. Great storage room, always had hot water, space for a third bed for our daughter and still room for a chair to sit an collapse in. Choose a room looking over the valley and you get a great terrace. Day or night the views are spectacular and hugely atmospheric. The family-run atmosphere is genuine and warm. There are several lounge areas and a cosy bar, all of which have corners to hang out in and order tea or wine or whatever. The kids were happy to wander about and set themselves up with a game or a book.
The restaurant is large and perhaps a little functional, but there is atmosphere and the set menus are generous
Located a short stumble across from the route up the mountain and an easy stride into town, this may not be glitz, but it certainly has character an warmth. And we thought it was very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor looking over the valley, not to the street.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank FilmTraveller
rolle
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We spent very nice time at this hotel. Rooms are rather rustic for a 4 star hotel, but the SPA is great and staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villars-sur-Ollon
Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
Residence Panorama Villars
Residence Panorama Villars
#6 of 8 in Villars-sur-Ollon
Hotel Le Grand Chalet

Been to Hotel du Golf? Share your experiences!