I have been skiing all my life but never been on an all inclusive deal. I was told about club med by a friend so decided to give it a go and managed to get a last minute deal to the Swiss resort of Villars Sur Oll.
On arrival you are met by a large 1920's imposing building with huge reception area. My check in was swift and easy and the intricacies of the club med venue were fully explained. My bags were taken to my room whilst I went and availed myself of the bar.
My room was adequate in size. It had a balcony which had a beautiful view looking onto the 'Dent du midi' mountains. However it was quite basic with no tea or coffee making facilities in there. Now I know you could argue that as all inclusive there is plenty downstairs all the time, but I like to wake up and have a brew in my room first thing. Also the lighting was very poor and even in the day you needed the 3 very inadequate lights on. The bathroom was neat and tidy but only had a shower. After a hard days skiing the 1 thing I need is a bath so I was disappointed by this.
Food throughout the stay was just superb in my opinion. The quality and presentation were excellent and there was plenty to go around. This was a true for lunch on the slopes as it was for the hotel.
There was a pool, steam room, sauna and relaxation area which was very well appointed and as I had no bath I used each night to try and ease my aching limbs.
Tuition was included in the price if you wanted to use it. I did and found myself in a group led by our Swiss ski school instructor, Silvio. He was amazing and we skied hard every day. The tuition was for the whole day each day and I have to say the quality was excellent and would have cost a fortune with any other holiday company who only normally provide half day tuition in their ski packages. The ski area of Villars is quite extensive and I really enjoyed it. It's a very pretty area and has slopes for all abilities. Whist there we had about 60cm of snow in the 1st 2 days and the off piste was excellent.
Negatives..... Well I was the only Brit at the hotel which made it a bit lonely. Great skiing with the group in the day but then everyone heads back to their families. Entertainment in the night was aimed at French/Swiss and so felt a bit left out. If I'd thought it would about it when booking I'd have checked to see if there were going to be other brits there. Watching some of the entertainment was a bit like going back to the 80's and watching Eurotrash. A very different culture. However the whole feel of the hotel was one of friendliness and family atmosphere which was great.
The hotel itself is in need of a bit of a revamp. The colour scheme is quite dark and could do with being lightened up. You can see the wear and tear in the communal areas and rooms. However this is only superficial.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I could not fault them. If you have kids then this is the way to go on a skiing holiday with them.
All in all it was a great holiday and will definitely go skiing with club med again. I will just make sure that there are some other Brits going to be at the hotel. Thoroughly recommended though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Created as one the premier resorts in Europe, this Swiss resort helped launch the fashion for winter sports during the Roaring Twenties. The small rack railway harks back to that time, just like the 1920s hotel which is home to the Village. With its new heated outdoor swimming pool in a south-facing unspoilt setting, its Turkish bath and speciality restaurant, the hotel offers a warm and comfortable atmosphere. Villars-sur-Ollon invites you to go skiing, relax, and take a stroll to Lake Geneva. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Villars sur Ollon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Villars Palace
- Club Med Villars-Sur-Ollon
- Villars-Sur-Ollon Club Med