“Perhaps not the newest Club Med but definitely up to par”

Club Med Villars sur Ollon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Istanbul, Turkey
“Perhaps not the newest Club Med but definitely up to par”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We enjoyed our second trip to Club Med in Villars for a great week of skiing. First of all, the club certainly is nowhere nearly as bad as some of the reviews seem to suggest. The club is in an ancient palace, so the interior breaths that history. The rooms are therefore perhaps a bit small, nog double glazing etc. but the comfort level is up to par. The view was good and even better from the terrace. The food is of very good quality, with plenty of choice and varying themes. We had one time raclette in the specialty restaurant as well which I recommend. It was really a nice experience. All the staff were great, always, and made us all feel very welcome. Overall, the location of the club is great, 100m from the train that will take you into the mountains.

The ski lessons are always very good with great instructors and a good restaurant just off the slope where you have lunch each day. Make sure that the rent of all the equipment is included in your package otherwise you will end-up paying a whole lot more. The equipment is from this season by the way.
Still, overall a good club in a great small Swiss village with many kilometers of slopes to choose from.

Room Tip: Book a room on the higher floors at the frontside of the hotel for a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ivo-Knottnerus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Overall hotel is nice and clean but not as we are used to on Club Med.
Overcharged for parking, 142CHF for 4 days...
Snowboard lessons were given on the last 2 days to only half of the group which was a little more advanced.
We (who were neglected), had to take few hours of private lesson on outrageous rate.
Food is o.k , nothing special

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank YuviDov
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have been skiing all my life but never been on an all inclusive deal. I was told about club med by a friend so decided to give it a go and managed to get a last minute deal to the Swiss resort of Villars Sur Oll.

On arrival you are met by a large 1920's imposing building with huge reception area. My check in was swift and easy and the intricacies of the club med venue were fully explained. My bags were taken to my room whilst I went and availed myself of the bar.

My room was adequate in size. It had a balcony which had a beautiful view looking onto the 'Dent du midi' mountains. However it was quite basic with no tea or coffee making facilities in there. Now I know you could argue that as all inclusive there is plenty downstairs all the time, but I like to wake up and have a brew in my room first thing. Also the lighting was very poor and even in the day you needed the 3 very inadequate lights on. The bathroom was neat and tidy but only had a shower. After a hard days skiing the 1 thing I need is a bath so I was disappointed by this.

Food throughout the stay was just superb in my opinion. The quality and presentation were excellent and there was plenty to go around. This was a true for lunch on the slopes as it was for the hotel.

There was a pool, steam room, sauna and relaxation area which was very well appointed and as I had no bath I used each night to try and ease my aching limbs.

Tuition was included in the price if you wanted to use it. I did and found myself in a group led by our Swiss ski school instructor, Silvio. He was amazing and we skied hard every day. The tuition was for the whole day each day and I have to say the quality was excellent and would have cost a fortune with any other holiday company who only normally provide half day tuition in their ski packages. The ski area of Villars is quite extensive and I really enjoyed it. It's a very pretty area and has slopes for all abilities. Whist there we had about 60cm of snow in the 1st 2 days and the off piste was excellent.

Negatives..... Well I was the only Brit at the hotel which made it a bit lonely. Great skiing with the group in the day but then everyone heads back to their families. Entertainment in the night was aimed at French/Swiss and so felt a bit left out. If I'd thought it would about it when booking I'd have checked to see if there were going to be other brits there. Watching some of the entertainment was a bit like going back to the 80's and watching Eurotrash. A very different culture. However the whole feel of the hotel was one of friendliness and family atmosphere which was great.

The hotel itself is in need of a bit of a revamp. The colour scheme is quite dark and could do with being lightened up. You can see the wear and tear in the communal areas and rooms. However this is only superficial.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I could not fault them. If you have kids then this is the way to go on a skiing holiday with them.

All in all it was a great holiday and will definitely go skiing with club med again. I will just make sure that there are some other Brits going to be at the hotel. Thoroughly recommended though.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Paul R
France
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed for a week over the Xmas period with our three children (3, 5 and 10) and had a great time.

Good points:
- Club Med staff was professional and super friendly especially with our children. They went out of their way to ensure we had a good holiday
- Fun activities for the kids relating to Xmas
- Fresh and varied food (not the best buffet I have seen in Club Med but good enough)
- Nice restaurant (with local food and waiters) which you can book the day before
- Fantastic ski slopes. Taking the train to the slopes was more fun than an inconvenience

Negative points:
- Very dark rooms. The lighting is so poor you will find it difficult to read a book!
- Very cold swimming pool which is a shame as it is sold as part of the package and my kids were very disappointed
- Bar area way too small
- As usual, Club Med's timing is a bit late (evening meals starting at 7:30 pm, shows at 21H15 ... a bit late for kids especially if they are then meant to get up the next day early to hit the slopes at 8H30!)

Overall, I want to thank the staff who is great and made our choice of village worth. We might go back to Villars or try another ski village.

I must say that the village is very clean. We saw cleaners busy at work every day and the staff regularly cleaning their hands with anti-bacterial gel (readily available in the restaurant, mini clubs and toilets). On the other hand, some of the guests never use the gel ... so they only have themselves to blame is they get a stomach bug!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank toubna
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We enjoyed our second trip to a club med for the last week of the ski season at Club Med in Villars.

First of all, the club certainly is nowhere nearly as bad as some of the reviews seem to suggest. However, it does seem to have some way to go to where it says it is.

First of all, our 2 year old loved the place, baby club, run around have fun in the evenings and for this Club was worth the price already. At the same time, she really did not like the food offered for toddlers, neither in the restaurant nor the baby restaurant. Unfortunately, it was bland, not seasoned. The baby restaurant had the atmosphere and smelled of hospital, cold and in the basement.

Still, the entire personnel was great, always, and made us all feel very welcome. The level of English across the team was further good and during events they made an effort to cover both languages, even if not always successfully.

As for the building, it seems to be due for a renovation (it is actually closed for this during summer 2012), with old room furniture and dark corridors. The carpet in our room was slightly worn out, the our bathroom had clearly its best days behind it and our room had no shutters on the windows, so hard to block out the light for the little one. Also, we found a layer of dust on the furniture and cobwebs under the ceiling when arriving. Still, the view was good and even better from the terrace. Overall, the location of the club is great.

The ski lessons were good with great instructors and a good restaurant just off the slope. Unfortunately we failed to hire the ski equipment in advance and were charged significantly more than first agreed because of this, which ended up as a massive dent in our view of the club.

Still, overall a good club, even if a little expensive for what it is. Make sure you enjoy all benefits to get the most out of what you pay for - especially the sauna and Haman are very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor or higher for best views. Reserve ski equipment in advance to avo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Round_Earth
Brussels
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is a standard or even sub-standard hotel which is highly over priced. We paid quite a lot of money thinking that we would have a high quality service from this 4 trident Club Med hotel and that everything is included. As soon as we came to the hotel, they told us that parking costs 20Euros a day in this all-inclusive hotel and the parking and the roads were not even cleaned. They were covered with snow and ice. When I asked for the wireless information (which is free in almost every hotel that I stayed in), they told me it costs 25 Euros/day in this all-inclusive hotel. The hotel was overcrowded, with hundred of kids and teenagers making all the noise and dirt you can image. Despite the high prices, I was surprised to see that the guests were not of very high quality. Although I find the staff hard working and professional, they were outnumbered. Insufficient number of elevators caused ~10 minutes of waiting time. The rooms are very standard, nothing special. Small TV, no refrigerator. Cleaning was not done properly, they did not bother to remove the dirty glasses or plates from the room for 4 days. On the positive side, I found the food quality good enough for an all-inclusive hotel. But it is true that there was a stomach bug bothering everyone.
In conclusion, avoid this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank cemozBrussels
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed in Club Med Villars for 7 horrible nights in January 2012 travelling with my husband and 3 year old daughter - it was supposed to be her first snow experience, we travelled all the way from Australia. On arrival at 11 pm, we discovered that hotel lobby was full of screaming, hyper little children and oblivious parents, we thought they must have just arrived like us but it was like ever night! We were told that we should have arrived a day earlier than booked which was a mistake of Club Med Asia Pacific so we missed out on inductions and signing up for classes and ski rental.
We were shown a dingy tiny room in a basement even though we checked and double checked that we would receive a family size room with a separate area for our daughter's bed so we could all get some sleep. Our 3 year old goes to sleep earlier than us as I would assume most children around the world?
We complained and received another room which answered the description of what we were promised.
The hotel is very run down and probably overdue for a major renovation by about 20 years, judging by the decor its about 1980s refit. The ceilings are cracked, the wallpaper is peeling, the carpet is stained all over the hotel, the furniture in the rooms and in the hotel is old, shabby and stained or chipped - it looks grand in photos which will fool you but believe me this is no palace. The thing which is most disturbing is the smell which is everywhere, in the rooms, corridors, lobby and mostly dining areas - it can only be described as a mixture of vomit, stained nappies and leftover cheap cafeteria food... very unpleasant for me as I didnt ski due to being 12 weeks pregnant and couldnt get away from the smell (detected by my husband too) outside.
The lighting in the rooms is inadequate to read or write, only a couple of wall scones probably so that you dont see how dirty the room really is. The housekeeping is a farce, the rooms are "done" once a day - but they dont change the sheets or clean anything properly.
The next biggest problem is hotel hygiene and food preparation standards. Judging by the kids clubs area, the toys are never cleaned let alone disinfected to stop spread of germs amongst the kids. The dining areas are the worst - the main "restaurant" serves buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner and its absolutely appalling. The buffet at first glance looks big and opulent but most of it is table props which is permanently set up. What there is to eat, you will realise after a couple of days is pretty much the same cold sloppy food for the whole week. The choice is limited - bland pasta, salads with a bizzarre array of vinegar dressings none of which actually taste good or go with the salad but must look impressive, same carved meat, burgers, soup and once in a while for dinner what they attempt to pass as themed buffet which is truly awful. The problem is that the bain maries in which the food is served are not heated properly or at all, neither are the impressive cast iron pots serving soup etc so the food is lukewarm. Try to imagine eating congealed bland pasta and rissotto for a week without even a dash of a decent side salad and you get the picture. The meat section is a big problem - the food is cooked by "chef" in front of you and then simply placed at room temperature on a board! Most people realise that cooked meat particularly chicken should be served very hot or chilled, not at Club Med. There is a real reason for botulism, endemic gastro enteritis right there without even looking at the sanitation of other areas.
Our 3 year old daughter enjoyed 1 day of ski lessons at mini club before developing a very nasty gastron entiritis for the next 3 days. She ended up throwing up constantly all night (very difficult to watch your child suffer like this) and then was listless, weak and tired for the remainder of her stay - some snow fun she had!
I was petrified to catch her infection as I was 12 weeks pregnant and the effects could have been disastrous for my baby. My husband the next 2 days looking after our little girl and missed out on skiing which for us was the only redeeming feature of the whole stay and nothing to do with Club Med whatsoever.
On the subject of kids activities, I must also warn the parents that although Club Med is meant to famous for its children's facilities, we were very disappointed with the set up. For a start we chose Villars specifically because of our child's age group - she was 3 years and 10 months old and had to attend petit club which not many resorts offer. This was the reason why the resort is overrun with families each has on average 2 kids under the age of 10 and most are little toddlers and preschoolers. We visited the petit club which is supposed to cater to children aged 2-4 years old to discover a tiny room with 2 nannies holding 2 tearful and nappy wearing 2 year olds without any room for children to run and play or any aged appropriate toys for 3+ year olds. Our daughter would have been miserable to have to stay in this environment for one minute let alone a week. We spoke with the hotel management and it took several discussions, cajoling and explaining to allow her to attend mini club which actually was free and we paid extra for petit club. Mini Club rooms were bigger with more toys in evidence but room looked dirty and tired, the staff are friendly enough but young 20 year olds there to enjoy lifestyle of Club Med more than experienced chidlcare professionals. I looked for better experience in my babysitters than the young GOs who look after your kids.
however, all the staff make a good impressive show of it with their bright coloured uniforms and the so called "chefs" wear tall impressive chef hats so it looks ok. The other big misconception is that the parents will actually have their chidlren looked after and will be able to enjoy a romantice candlelit dinner with wine. Well, to get served wine at meal times my husband had to chase down the "waiter" (dining staff are really more suited to a hostel or nursing home atmosphere than 4 star facility) and we only discovered that there was an actual wine menu on our last night when one was placed in front of us and later swiped off in front of us, just the table service which just walk around and grunt and abruptly clean the tables.
Secondly, the dinner is served at 7.30 pn - thats right in a place where all the guests have little children, you have to wait to eat dinner at 7.30 pm. Our child along with most little chidlren has her bedtime at 7 pm and her dinner at 5.30-6 pm so she ate very little because she was too tired, I was nauseaus from hunger being pregnant and my husband famished and exhausted having skiied for the day. its too ridiculous words, when we tried to bring this issue to the attention of hte management, we were made to feel like an exception that we wanted meals early.... The other problem is that Club Med promises "constant snacking" throughout the day which I thought would be perfect for me being pregnant and feeling you need to eat often. However, thats a myth again. The only constant bit is an urn of hot water in the lobby with coffee and tea sachets and an afternoon tea consisting of sweet tarts at 4 pm which everyone throws themselves on including all the returned skiers because there were be nothing else to eat until 7.30 pm.
we have never stayed in a worse place in our entire lives and we travel frequently, this is a first review I have ever written because i really feel no one deserves to be duped into staying in this place. We will never again stay at any Club Med resort again and dont recommend it to anyone. It was an expensive holiday which purported to look like a 4 star experience where in my mind it was worse than budget because it didnt even meet basic hygiene standards. It has taken us 3 months of letter writing, complaining with hte help of our travel agent to receive a response wihch showed they didnt event bother to read our letter, tried to fob us off with a minimal refund after mismanaging our booking, having to check out a day early, change our flights and not using the ski pass. To this day we still havent received our promised money and the letter ended by saying they hope to welcome us back soon to Club Med and how they pride themselves on excellent customer service.... Do yourself a favour, forget Club Med Villars there is a very nice 5 star hotel Royal Alps in the same village which will cost you the same as Club Med and you can orgainse your ski at local village - this is separate to Club Med anyway - I wish we had.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
27 Thank freddieandlewis
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Villars sur Ollon, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday experience at Villars-sur-Ollon Club Med Resort.

We were very sorry to read that due to an oversight made by Club Med Pacific Asia, you arrived a day later on site and as a result, missed the ski lessons application and could not sign up for the ski rental.

We have noted your comments regarding the inconvenience the children at the Resort caused to you during your stay. Kindly note that, we do state in our Club Med brochure and website that Villars-sur-Ollon is recommended for families with children.

We are deeply sorry to learn about your disappointment with your accommodation arrangements during your stay and your overall impression of the Resort.

On behalf of Club Med, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you as result.

We can assure you that Club Med’s policy is to make sure that our guest received the best service as possible so that they can enjoy their stay as much as possible. We can confirm that your comments will be forwarded to the relevant departments in our organisation and to our Chef de Village on site for his attention.

On a more positive note, we have been advised that this matter has been settled by our Sydney office and that you accepted the offer made to you.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and we now hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming your family to another Club Med Resort in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Your Club Med UK team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villars-sur-Ollon
Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
Hotel Le Grand Chalet
Residence Panorama Villars
Residence Panorama Villars
#6 of 8 in Villars-sur-Ollon

Been to Club Med Villars sur Ollon? Share your experiences!